• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Winter Project - 1986 Yamaha Razz - "Ran When Parked"

Deckyon

Reaction score
raven.deckyon.com
img_3594.jpg

This bike fits the “ran when parked” perfectly. I got the scooter from my parents new back when I was like 14. In 2 years I had put over 2500 miles on it running around the neighborhoods in Middletown. The last time I rode it was when we moved to Prospect in 1990 (or so). I believe my dad rode it a bit after that as did my sister. So, this past weekend I got some help from a friend to get it to my house so I can see if I can get it running and useable. I do not think it will be too hard, as the motor is not seized up and will still kick over (but not start, yet).

img_3596.jpg

So far, I have taken off the rear plastics to take a look at what is underneath. The most substantial thing is it is covered in spider webs and egg sacks. I have gone ahead and hosed all that stuff off. I will clean the major parts later, after it is running. In the initial short list tear down, I have found I need a new battery, new spark plug and new air filter. Two of those I knew I was going to need anyway. At least it turns over when kick-started. I know the oil and gas will need to be changed out, the carborator needs a cleaning as well as the rest of the engine. Considering I know nothing about any of this, it will be a nice long project. However, it is in much better condition that I ever hoped, especially for a bike that has sat in a garage unused for at least 15 of its nearly 30 years. Next year, it will be 30 years old. Officially qualifies for vintage!

img_3595.jpg

Winter? I'd have it running in a weekend. You mentioned all the items you need to address. Taking the carb apart is easy, all you need is a can of GumOut and an air compressor. Some bikes have o-rings on the jet, you will have to replace those otherwise you will get vacuum leaks and the the bike will not run right.

Getting parts for Yamahas are a lot harder than Hondas. Yamaha typically discontinues parts sooner than Honda. This might add a level of difficultly to your project.

Either way, Good Luck... ;)

That assumes I have a free weekend. I am going to take it slow and see if I can do it unaided, but I bet that wont happen. Having a running bike means I will be on it when the weather is good. This one is going to be something for when I cant ride. We have a huge vintage bike community here, so I know if I cant find the parts, a quick shout out to others will have the part within a couple days.

So far, the air filter is the only thing I am having an issue finding.

Your list is probably plenty to get it running. If you have ever watched What's In The Barn or watched any other of Dale's videos from Wheels Through Time he often has old barn finds running in minutes. All it takes is gas (carburetor) compression, and a spark (plug plus magneto and or battery).

Back