• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any Zero Riders Out There???

Brillot2000

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey All,

I have decided to purchase a Zero SR to commute to my new place of employment. They have many EV Charging Stations and they are free to use. This was a "No Brainer" for me to go electric for commuting as my ride is more than twice my previous commuting distance. Being able to drive to and from work for "Free" was too enticing to me to ignore it.

The Zero does not have a SAE J1772 connector to use these EV Charging Stations, so I made my own, see the images below.

IMG_4718.jpg

IMG_4721.jpg

I would like to know how many others out there are riding a Zero for the save reasons that I will be here soon.

I will post some pics of the bike once I get it.

Looks like zero. (couldn't resist)

Interesting technology, and probably a hoot to ride, but still very expensive. My state (Georgia) had a $5,000 EV tax credit but it expired this year. It would have been more economical if some other taxpayers were still forced under threat of jail to help me buy it.

Interesting technology, and probably a hoot to ride, but still very expensive. My state (Georgia) had a $5,000 EV tax credit but it expired this year. It would have been more economical if some other taxpayers were still forced under threat of jail to help me buy it.

Yes, they are a "Blast" to ride. I've done 2 Demo Rides before deciding to purchase one. As mentioned earlier, my employer will be paying for me to charge it while I work. I also have a Solar System on my house too. Both of these will effectively making my operating cost to commute "$0".

I have to agree the initial cost to the purchase the bike is "High", however the lack of maintenance cost will help with that. It also did not come at a cost to me, I sold my 1975 CB360 and will be trading in my 2004 ST1300 in order to get this bike. I feel the the bike will pay for itself in the long run. I am sure that I spent more than purchase price of the Zero when compared to the cost of fuel and repairs for the 8 years I owned my ST1300 and restoration cost of my 1975 CB360 years ago.

I see immediate value in this technology. A Telsa Model S is about $75k to get you the base model. People who have them share by them and would not go back to gas again. Just something to think about...

Very cool, Bruce :cool:

I'm happy for you; and regardless of people who don't approve of other's choice for what makes them enjoy a particular car/motorcycle/music/significant partner/etc., it's not always about the bottom line in an argument of what is "better".

I would be ecstatic to own a Zero, a 1957 Plymouth Fury, a 1985 Yamaha FJ1100, a 2016 Honda Africa Twin, and so on. A big fat raspberry *thhhhbbbbbt* to anyone who thinks those are horrible, they can go jump in a lake for all I care, and buy their own versions of awesomeness. The only thing keeping me from such a purchase, is I'm way too poor to buy one, lol :(

So. The preamble was to ask a question without any hint of being against your choice, but simply an honest musing on real world number crunching versus: I like it, I want it, I bought it, that's all I need to justify.

I wonder how the dust settles after say, 5 years of ownership, with a money out-of-pocket expenditure between the two?

Purchase price of NC700XD- $ X,xxx.xx

NC700XD Gasoline- (5 years) - $ X,xxx.xx (+/-)

NC700X Maintenance, Consumables- (5 years) - $ X,xxx.xx

Purchase price of Zero- $ XX,xxx.xx

Zero Electricity (5 years) - $0.00 (assuming)

Zero Maintenance, Consumables- (5 years) - $ X,xxx.xx

Very cool, Bruce :cool:

I'm happy for you; and regardless of people who don't approve of other's choice for what makes them enjoy a particular car/motorcycle/music/significant partner/etc., it's not always about the bottom line in an argument of what is "better".

So. The preamble was to ask a question without any hint of being against your choice, but simply an honest musing on real world number crunching versus: I like it, I want it, I bought it, that's all I need to justify.

I wonder how the dust settles after say, 5 years of ownership, with a money out-of-pocket expenditure between the two?

Purchase price of NC700XD- $ X,xxx.xx

NC700XD Gasoline- (5 years) - $ X,xxx.xx (+/-)

NC700X Maintenance, Consumables- (5 years) - $ X,xxx.xx

Purchase price of Zero- $ XX,xxx.xx

Zero Electricity (5 years) - $0.00 (assuming)

Zero Maintenance, Consumables- (5 years) - $ X,xxx.xx

THX!!! :eek: I really appreciate it that you are able to be happy for me.

I will be keeping Nancy as my only gas powered bike. She has plenty of storage and will be called on for duty during the week when that capability is required. Also going out for a ride with all your buddies on a long ride. She will be there when I need her to be there.

The Zero SR with all the following Factory Accessories, Power Tank, Quick Charger, Givi Rear Case, Commuter Shield and all the other fees/taxes come out to a little over $21k. I will be getting $3,800 for the ST1300 on the trade-in and will be putting down $10k, which most of that was saved up for many years. Also my mother passed away and left some money that will come in to help with this purchase later on.

I feel the Pros of the getting this bike out weigh any Cons that anyone on this forum could up with regarding owning a Fully Electric Motorcycle. The fact of charging at work and the State of California's Rebate of $900 certainly helped. Plus the rebate will make my first 3 payments for me there will be some cash let over for some other knickknacks that I will be putting on the bike too. I am inclined to name her "Sparky". :eek:

Sounds great, glad to hear you are keeping the NC in the family too!

We expect many pictures and fun report cards on Sparky as you go along :D

Sounds great, glad to hear you are keeping the NC in the family too!

We expect many pictures and fun report cards on Sparky as you go along :D

Well do!! :eek:

In the meantime, here are few pics of the one rode on a Demo Ride a few weeks ago.

Keeping "NaNCy" was a no brainer to me. I enjoy riding here every chance that I get. :eek:

IMG_4664.jpgIMG_4666.jpgIMG_4667.jpg

I used to have an electrician we called Sparky. He dropped a combination wrench into a maze of 480 volt buss bars. Hope yours never sparks. Make sure you don't name her "Smokey".

The thought never came into my mind. The battery pack is rated at 96 VDC, that would create a hell of the spark. Like you said, I hope that never happens. Also with my electrical background, I know to handle and respect electricity.

Georgia also added an annual tax to electric vehicles to make up for the lost gas tax revenue and to make them help pay for the roads they ride on.

Right or wrong tax credits have helped get electric vehicles on the road. At some point they need to justify themselves without tax support.

I hope you keep us updated.

If it were not for the cost I could see having one. I read Motorcycle Consumer News when they took a ride in Europe on them. It was an article about the tour but since they rode Zero's there was a lot of that included. I recommend the article.

Someone will know the cost of a battery replacement soon but the way things are going the price will probably drop before you will need one!

YAY!

Someone will know the cost of a battery replacement soon but the way things are going the price will probably drop before you will need one!

The specs say 415,000 miles on the power pack. I have yet to put that on a motorcycle - though I have tried.

YAY!

The bike comes with 5 Year or 100,000 mile warranty. Also the manufacture guaranties the battery up towards 400,000+ miles with a battery capacity of 80% of the original rating.

ZeroBattery.JPG

To answer your question, "NOTHING" as the battery is lifetime of the bike.

If it were not for the cost I could see having one. I read Motorcycle Consumer News when they took a ride in Europe on them. It was an article about the tour but since they rode Zero's there was a lot of that included. I recommend the article.

YAY!

This is a really good article regarding the Zero SR. Great for those still on the fence regarding electric motorcycle. Its unbiased and honest, as it should be.

I found this video review of the Zero SR on YouTube. Think that the reviewer's commentary will speak for itself regarding this bike. I was more than impressed with this bike and I test rode it two separate times.

Back