• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking at Rain Gear

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
My full riding suit has a removable water liner but I never use it. The suit gets soaked if it rains but I stay dry which I really dont like. Im also not going to pull over take my suit off and put the liner in for surprise showers while on trips.

So Im looking at gear I can throw over my riding suit or pants and jacket and store easy in a bag for quick use in a storm. Id like something that I could get away with wearing all day if its rainy on a trip or in an emergency flash storm.

So far after searching these three seem like popular choices.

Rev'It Pacific H2O
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MVGqF9x3Hc
Nelson-Rigg SR-6000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az4J9N8t1aM

And Frogg Toggs rain gear.

I like the rev'it full suit but might be a pain putting on over a full suit. Its super compact and breathable. I also worry about pooling in the crotch which happens on my current suit.
The Nelson rigg looks great too and cheaper. how compact does it pack? Whats about 2 pieces keeping water out of the crotch area?

Ive heard mixed reviews of the frogg toggs but I know they are popular too.

Any thoughts and experience with any of these?

I have a set of Frog Toggs on each bike for emergency use. I don't use them often. Only if I get caught in rain during a day trip non-ATGATT or in vented gear, but they seem to work fine when I use them. More durable than they look. I also dislike the internal rain liners and that is why my BMW Rallye suit found a new owner. It just makes no sense. No experience with your other choices.

I used to have a high end First Gear rain suit, the breathable kind that you can wear all day. It worked great for many years, then in one rain storm it failed me. And I mean it failed me. I was soaked and had to stand around in a bar soaking wet for 5 hours before the weather cleared up and I could continue on. I've since read that this is a problem with all the breathable fabric (Gortex, etc.) - eventually they fail. So for my next suit I purchased a non-breathable PVC kind. The only way these fail is if they rip. If I lived in AZ or a very hot climate I'd probably more interested in a breathable suit. But here in the midwest it's usually not very hot if it's raining or threatening rain.

After a lot of research I bought the Nelson Rigg SR-6000 Stormrider. I got it on Amazon for around $40 shipped, it's an amazing deal. I've had to use it a few times and it has kept me dry. I like the high visibility and the hood in the collar. The only thing I could wish for would be some more/better pockets.

I do not recommend the frogg toggs entry level jacket and pants. They worked in a very light rain, but not in a heavy downpour. My garments were soaked underneath. I think they have an upgrade fabric called Horny Toadz that might be better.

I have a "throw on" rainsuit. I hate the thing in the summer. It's just too hot. I think it's just nylon.
It didn't last on whole season -but we have a long riding season in the south.

I think I had it rolled too tight because if I hold it up to the light, I can see "through" the folds and that's where it's leaking.
It did keep me dry for many miles. Just gotta keep moving ...or die.

I just ordered a Goretex winter jacket and am probably going to get a Goretex rainsuit after that.
That is my suggestion...Goretex.

Just like everything, from one person to the next, you can have conflicting or even opposite results. It's truly a "your mileage may vary" type of subjective thing.

I'll never go back to the non-breathable kind of rain gear. Despite the hits, misses, and sometimes outright failures, GoreTex at least does offer up a guarantee against leaking, where no other brand ever has, to my knowledge.

I get completely soaked in sweat and can't abide the cold and clammy feeling the solid PVC-esque material suits or liners give me. My Alter Ego pants with the zip in liners were disgusting to wear, lol. It was a hassle to stop and hop around on one foot whilst trying to take boots off and pant legs off, open and paw through luggage, zip in liners etc., while standing in your ginch at the side of the road, but nothing as bad as putting the liners in, in case it might rain, but never did rain, and the horrible damp discomfort resulting in riding too long inside a plastic garbage bag sauna. *shudder*

I've had very good luck, with two of my GoreTex membrane products, and a near miss with another. A pair of hiking rain pants bought over 23 years ago- and never once a leak, My Sidi ADV boots that I have stood up to my shins in creeks for lengthy periods of time- and not a drop, and my Aerostich AD-1 pants- which *did* let water in, but it was (IMHO) a design flaw by Aerostich, and didn't have anything to do with the Gore membrane, which has been 100 % dry so far. (the water ingress was at my belly button, because the AD-1 pants have a dip down in the centre of the belt line, for some incredibly bizarre reason. They don't follow along horizontal along the front above the fly and snap closure, or better, have a slight rise to place the front of the pants slightly above your pants belt line. The button of my jeans is a good 1 1/2 to 2" above the AD-1 button snap! That's just stupid) Unless you have a freaking trench coat length jacket on, water can get blown in between the bottom of the jacket and the top of the Aerostich pants, giving you a wet tummy. :rolleyes:

The reason I went with the AD-1 pants, was because they were the only pants on the market that have a 100% true full length side zippers on both legs, from cuffs to belt line, so you can remove or put on the pants without the need to remove your boots. I can't fit my big boots through the small opening in a pant leg without much disagreeable effort, even with 3/4 length side zippers. A lot of pants advertise "full length zippers", but they are not, as they don't even go up close to the belt line, let alone straight through it.

Jacket. Firstgear Kenya Version 1.0? 1.5? I got it in 2010, and it isn't the same as the newer versions I've seen. Non-GoreTex brand but similar breathable membrane, bonded to the jacket itself, so no need for a liner or oversuit. It's been awesome! I got it for the billions of airvents, and never ending amount of pockets, not putting too much faith in the waterproof claims or abilities. It has been superb and totally dry in all these years of day in day out rain and complete monsoon rides. In completely biblical rains, I carry a Joe Rocket generic breathable membrane ultra thin jacket liner, to wear inside the Kenya, as a just in case backup, if ever one or more of the water resistant zippered vents fail, but no need so far.

I take very good care of my rain gear, wash gently and regularly as per instructions, and treat with water repellent spray after every cleaning. (just 3m Scotchgard)

Gloves. Haven't had such good luck with gloves. Some are really close, but I'm outrageously picky about how I like my gloves to fit and feel, so it's been really tough to find an ultra thin GoreTex or other knockoff breathable membrane glove, that isn't hockey glove thick from added insulation. I don't want great thick winter rain gloves. I just want thin rain gloves. Let *me* worry about keeping my hands warm via other methods! Don't make gloves for Polar expeditions for just rain riding! (Grrr) lol

One more thing to add. My first rainsuit was PVC. Not only was it too hot to wear in any kind of weather even resembling heat, the wind tore it up on my first trip (only the pants leg). The first trip was 2,300 miles long but only about 8 hours of that was rain.

One more thing to add. My first rainsuit was PVC. Not only was it too hot to wear in any kind of weather even resembling heat, the wind tore it up on my first trip (only the pants leg). The first trip was 2,300 miles long but only about 8 hours of that was rain.

I had this happen to me before I started using motorcycle specific rain suits. When I used fisherman/lineman/outdoorsy type of rain suits, they ended up shredding in the wind.

I could also see this happening if it's not sized correctly and flaps in the wind a lot.

Thanks for all the tips and info everyone.

I know cheap throw overs are no substitute for good rain gear and If I was buying Gear for the 1st time I would def go that route. For right now I dont want to replace my full riding suit or my summer jacket and pants. $50 dollars for rain gear is hard to beat even if it doesnt last many seasons. I just want to make sure what I do get wont be a waste of time for what it is and I still get wet.

I used to have a high end First Gear rain suit, the breathable kind that you can wear all day. It worked great for many years, then in one rain storm it failed me. And I mean it failed me. I was soaked and had to stand around in a bar soaking wet for 5 hours before the weather cleared up and I could continue on. I've since read that this is a problem with all the breathable fabric (Gortex, etc.) - eventually they fail. So for my next suit I purchased a non-breathable PVC kind. The only way these fail is if they rip. If I lived in AZ or a very hot climate I'd probably more interested in a breathable suit. But here in the midwest it's usually not very hot if it's raining or threatening rain.

After a lot of research I bought the Nelson Rigg SR-6000 Stormrider. I got it on Amazon for around $40 shipped, it's an amazing deal. I've had to use it a few times and it has kept me dry. I like the high visibility and the hood in the collar. The only thing I could wish for would be some more/better pockets.

I want a simple set also but dang. 4XL is only a 33.5 inseam. I am skinny and have a (motorcycle) inseam of 36".
It has been a problem my whole life. Crap!!

If your looking for a longer inseam, see if you can find some of the Olympia gear to try on. I tried on some of their pants and they were significantly too long. (i'm a wee fella)

Mine is Thunder Under or something real close to that name. I think it was only $50 and was almost long enough for my 34" inseam (not on the bike).

Another tid-bit...nylon doesn't stand up to UV rays. Even one season.... I'm thinking about spraying my jacket with some Scotch guard..couldn't hurt it at this point!

I've had a Frogg Toggs Pro Angler suit that I have had for ten years, that is no longer sold. I mainly use it for when I'm riding with my mesh gear. The inside lining has detached itself in various places which makes it a little difficult to put on at times. There is a two inch square of Gorilla tape on one arm where the suit was vaporized when it touched a hot pipe the first year I had it. My suit has a hood that rolls down into the collar, Velcro pass through pocket openings and bib overalls. The overalls are the best part of the suit with long zippers on the inside of the legs to make it much easier to fit over a pair of boots. I usually carry the jacket on the bike most of the time.

If your looking for a longer inseam, see if you can find some of the Olympia gear to try on. I tried on some of their pants and they were significantly too long. (i'm a wee fella)

LOL. that is the chart I was using. Trouble is for some reason apparel manufacturers are like everybody else. They only need to capture most of the market. They don't give a fig about a 6'4" person with long legs and arms that only weighs 200lbs.

Their longest was 33.5" and for a FAT man.

Jeebus. How's the weather up there, you long leggity stretch doods? ;) :p

-just call me stumpy lol

Cold shouldred.
My mother used to add 6" lengths to the bottom of my pants. And sometimes matching pockets so it didn't look toooo Stoooopid.

So if you know of someone that makes reasonable priced rain gear (in XL = extra long)I would like to know. Aeorstitch I am sure could do it.

Back