• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NoNoise Motorsport Earplugs - Review

I had to use tweezers to get one out the first time I put them in, wish they had a bit longer tap to remove them by.

Foam ear plugs provide the greatest reduce in sound, but I feel it is too much (at least for the plugs I use). This ear plugs and the Etymotic ER-20xs (my current plugs) allow certain frequencies through, in my opinion providing a better situational awareness.

Upon reading some of the review of this earplug I purchased a set and they arrived today. Can't wait to get the bike out tomorrow and try them out. My old earplugs were something similar in shape made by SnapOn at least 10 years ago. Never got into the foam plugs because they never seemed to fit the same each time.

Tried out the new NoNoise earplugs this morning with a ride down the interstate to my parents' house. Not sure if I got them installed in my ear correctly on the ride out. Made sure to install them per instructions (pull ear up and back gently then insert plugs) before the ride home. Was able to have a good conversation with them before leaving and could hear the tv ok. The wind noise was noticeably muffled although present. Not annoying at all at speeds of 75 for some time. While in town I was behind a late model Mustang GT and could distinctly hear its exhaust note while he was idling in front of me.

Overall I think they are a good earplug. Although I might have pushed them in too far for the ride home. There was a little discomfort noticed about half-way home, did not have the problem on the way out.

If you ever try custom earplugs fitted by an audiologist, or maybe even a well-trained rally vendor (can't say, never done that) it is hard to go back to the disposable kind. I have been using the same set for four years now. All day comfort. When I used the foam ones, it seemed half the time I didn't get them seated correctly or if it was hot and my ears were sweaty, they would pop out a few miles down the road. Once the customs are in, they stay in. They always seal correctly and are quicker in and out once you learn the twist-in and twist-out technique.

If you ever try custom earplugs fitted by an audiologist, or maybe even a well-trained rally vendor (can't say, never done that) it is hard to go back to the disposable kind. I have been using the same set for four years now. All day comfort. When I used the foam ones, it seemed half the time I didn't get them seated correctly or if it was hot and my ears were sweaty, they would pop out a few miles down the road. Once the customs are in, they stay in. They always seal correctly and are quicker in and out once you learn the twist-in and twist-out technique.
I have a pair of the custom earplugs I got at a motorcycle show vendor (Progressive's International show in Cleveland) 4-5 years ago and I use them. They are great, comfortable and eliminates most of the sound. Wished I had ponied up for the ones with the audio cables in them cause I do like to listen to my mp3 player when riding, so it is either my mp3 player and music and rushing air or no sound at all.

I would like to try either the custom molded ones, or the ones up top in the original review, or something. I've seen the custom-fit places many times in connection with the shooting sports, and I'm a regular competitor in various types of rifle matches. The issue I have with all of the alternative earplugs is that they simply don't suppress sound well enough. The SNR (european measurement style) on the ones in the top link is 21. That should translate to approximately 17 - 18 NRR. The calcs are different, so that's not a hard translation, but it should be in that ballpark. That's certainly much better than nothing, but for me it's just not nearly good enough.

Do any of you know of any alternative earplug types (meaning not the generic foam type plugs), particularly custom fit, that carry an NRR over 30?

Do any of you know of any alternative earplug types (meaning not the generic foam type plugs), particularly custom fit, that carry an NRR over 30?

I have both of the earplugs below. The first advertises 29.8 db, so it is getting close to your spec. Having used them for several years for shooting, motorcycles, and lawn/farm machinery, I can't imagine needing more. (However, I generally use electronic muffs for shooting)

Custom Molded Ear Plugs | Insta-Mold Products

I bought these 30 db rated custom ear speakers thinking I would integrate them with a Sena bluetooth system, but I never did - I prefer the solitude when riding. More often I use them with a FiiO X5ii portable music player while doing yard work. With single drivers, they are not quite audiophile quality, but they are fine for non-critical listening...

Custom Headphones | Insta-Mold® Products

DSC04418.JPG

Last edited:
This is good. I can't hardly hear my audio at any speed over 65. If I can filter the wind out, I'll be much happier.

This is good. I can't hardly hear my audio at any speed over 65. If I can filter the wind out, I'll be much happier.

The good thing is that you can not only hear the audio at speeds over 65 (or whatever) but you can hear it at low volume if you choose. You don't have to overpower the noise with the audio and thus risk hearing loss. The downside, and one of the reasons I don't wear them riding, is that you also cannot hear fire trucks and police officers who may be trying to get your attention to give you a performance award. I haven't had any cops come up behind me while mowing the grass. I have no trouble hearing sirens with 30db fitted ear plugs, but when you add the music the ability to hear emergency vehicles is effectively gone.

Maybe some specialized range ear plugs. I tried some for a while but they didn't stay in well when putting the helmet on. But, I do have a large head (3x helmet). These are all personal preference, the best ones are the ones you wear all the time. The fact these stay in place when I put my helmet on and I can hear the ambient noise and my Sena but the wind noise is drastically reduced (better helmet will make even that get even lower).

The good thing is that you can not only hear the audio at speeds over 65 (or whatever) but you can hear it at low volume if you choose. You don't have to overpower the noise with the audio and thus risk hearing loss. The downside, and one of the reasons I don't wear them riding, is that you also cannot hear fire trucks and police officers who may be trying to get your attention to give you a performance award. I haven't had any cops come up behind me while mowing the grass. I have no trouble hearing sirens with 30db fitted ear plugs, but when you add the music the ability to hear emergency vehicles is effectively gone.
For my regular commute, I wouldn't need them but after 16 or 18 hours on the bike my ears ring like after a rock concert. And I usually listen to audio books when I ride - stuff like sirens doesn't get lost in that. I think I will be ordering a set of these.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Back