• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

More info on the DCT box

mike5100

Reaction score
Visit site
I came across this whilst trying to find out more about the previous version of the DCT. Has anyone else noticed their NC switching into S-mode whilst it's being driven hard in D-mode. I haven't - if I'm approaching a car or two I want to overtake, I have to switch from D to S just to make sure I ain't embarassed during the overtake.
Mike
"The software changes are the ones you notice. The system can now 'learn' about what you're doing and determine whether you're commuting or heading down a country road. It'll adapt what it does to suit the riding you're doing, so it won't cling onto revs in town, or short-shift if you're making progress along a twisty road.

The best change, however, is also probably the simplest. On the old model, you could switch to Manual mode and change gear with the buttons on the left bar. Once you were in Manual, that was you set. However now, if you're in automatic, you can override this with the Manual mode buttons, say if you want to shift down in preparation for an overtake or short shift for a long straight. After you've made your manual changes, the system will then revert back to automatic mode.

If you're in D mode, the system will 'stretch' to the Sport mode if you're going for it, it'll then revert back to D mode once it feels like you've got whatever it was out of your system. When you're in S mode, it stays in S mode and won't switch to D if you're cruising.

The second generation DCT is currently only available in the Integra, but it'll soon by featuring in two new more conventional models the NS700S and NS700X which we expect to be more like the current Hornet and Crossrunner.'

Read more: Honda's 2nd gen. Dual Clutch Technology - Features - Visordown

I did the engine break-in by staying in S mode. I enjoyed the instant power, and took note that when I'm in hilly areas I should use Sport mode, or manual mode.

Other than that,I just ran my first tank full entirely in Drive mode. 512 miles on the NC. Things I noticed:

Going to WOT at any speed still puts out a lot of power, and may induce a downshift.

Following that, it will hold the new gear for a few seconds, even as you reduce throttle, and start to cruise. I find this annoying sometimes, if so, I'll force a up shift. I don't do that often though.

Drive mode likes to keep RPMs down low, about 2000

Sport mode keeps RPMs at about 3000.

If you cruise at 30 mph, the shift point from 4 to 5 in Drive mode. And drop it in sport mode, it will shift to 4th gear again. Again, keeping revs at 3000.

It's harder to ride smoothly in sport mode when you just want to cruise.

Both modes have a purpose, and I like both. I used full manual mode once, and did not enjoy thinking about what gear to use when. Im so glad I have the DCT. I can go out and enjoy the ride and scenery and be watching for safety when riding in heavy commuting traffic. Not to mention stop and go traffic...

S-porty mode is definitely quite zippy, and in D-rive mode, the NC up-shifts at the earliest opportunity, usu 2200rpm. I do like that I can switch between MT/AT while in motion, and if I want to control down-shift, MT mode is perfect for that. Its amazing how quickly you (ahem, I) find that I'm speeding when I'm in MT mode. Tsk tsk. Ditto the observation on smooth cruising in S-porty mode. D-rive is much better for that arena.

Last edited:
all very true guys .... but the point of the quote is they say that the box is more intelligent than we give it credit for. In particular they are saying that if you are in D-mode and behave like a hooligan for a while the box will empathise and switch itself into S-mode until you calm down. I have to say I have not noticed this.
Mike

all very true guys .... but the point of the quote is they say that the box is more intelligent than we give it credit for. In particular they are saying that if you are in D-mode and behave like a hooligan for a while the box will empathise and switch itself into S-mode until you calm down. I have to say I have not noticed this.
Mike

It does not display "S" drive when its working in that mode, but it certainly acts like it if you lay on the throttle for a while.

Thanks for the info and observations on how the DCT is in "real life", peeps. :)

Hey, at what speed does the auto tranny stop supplying forward power, when you completely let off?

Say you are creeping along at very slow speeds in traffic, and back off the throttle. Does the bike just get to a point where it "goes into neutral" and won't go anymore? How much throttle input is required to get it going again, at the slowest possible speed?

Does this on/off of forward momentum get annoying at all? Do you have to constantly manipulate the throttle on and off for really really slow going? Is this transition pretty smooth, or quite noticeable?

I was disappointed that Honda Canada didn't bring the DCT models here, as I was very keen on trying it. But to counter that, one of the things I like so much about my manual version, is that I can literally putter along at idle, with no need for throttle. This is a godsend from my previous bike, that was impossible to do this with.

They are very good questions LBS ... and when I think about it, the Honda guys must have set it so that it doesn't disengage unless you come to a complete stop. I too was worried about how I would trickle down my rough steep drive, but the bike copes superbly, as it does with trickling through traffic. It never disengages except when you would want it to disengage.
Mike

Awesome! :cool:

I hate you.

lol I keed, I keed! :eek:

Maybe Canuck Honda will bring in a DCT next year, and I can try one. Ya never know :D

Mike

Nope nor have I. What I have found is that in D mode the bike will 'kick down' into a lower gear, but doesn't move into S mode.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and observations on how the DCT is in "real life", peeps. :)

Hey, at what speed does the auto tranny stop supplying forward power, when you completely let off?

Say you are creeping along at very slow speeds in traffic, and back off the throttle. Does the bike just get to a point where it "goes into neutral" and won't go anymore? How much throttle input is required to get it going again, at the slowest possible speed?

Does this on/off of forward momentum get annoying at all? Do you have to constantly manipulate the throttle on and off for really really slow going? Is this transition pretty smooth, or quite noticeable?

I was disappointed that Honda Canada didn't bring the DCT models here, as I was very keen on trying it. But to counter that, one of the things I like so much about my manual version, is that I can literally putter along at idle, with no need for throttle. This is a godsend from my previous bike, that was impossible to do this with.

I bought the manual model NC700X, but when I test drove two DCT models I was able to smoothly drive the bike with 1 or 2 MPH displaying on the speedo. There was no sense of the clutch engaging/disengaging, no jerkyness, nor lack of power and engagement when you wanted to go. I'd say that Honda has that aspect of it working very well. I thought it was smoother and more transparent than the centrifugal clutch on a CVT scooter.

Greg

I bought the manual model NC700X, but when I test drove two DCT models I was able to smoothly drive the bike with 1 or 2 MPH displaying on the speedo. There was no sense of the clutch engaging/disengaging, no jerkyness, nor lack of power and engagement when you wanted to go. I'd say that Honda has that aspect of it working very well. I thought it was smoother and more transparent than the centrifugal clutch on a CVT scooter.

Greg

Wow! That's pretty cool. I grew up making the sign of the Cross at anything with "auto" in the name lol.

Young LBS is spinning in his grave, but old LBS is quite intrigued ;)

You can very slightly feel the bike slip the clutch below 10 mph. There is absolutely no idle creep, like in a car. This is not a standard auto transmission, think of the DCT as a manual bike, with an auto clutch.

You can engine brake until you hit 10mph, then your just coasting. Just a little throttle and the clutch engages super smooth.

Spend most of the time in sport mode, D for highway crusing and start/stop in traffic.

Very unique bike.

DCT duplciates the BMW automatic transmission/paddle shifting/sport mode. (BMW was asleep not putting their idea on a bike)

Plus throw in the the low center of gravity, insane mileage, Honda reliability and dealer network!

Farkles will catch up.

I usually ride in the D mode, but after riding with a passenger in some hilly country Thurs I realized it doesn't work for that. Using D for two up on any road but a highway will strain the engine. The S mode worked great. I love my DCT.

I have just ordered a DCT and am looking forward to seeing how the gearbox behaves. As I work with Audi dual clutch gearboxes I am very interested in the whole concept, there are a lot of clever electronics that allow it to creep so slowly.

Back