• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Your favorite gloves?

VickiB

Reaction score
Visit site
I am trying to educate myself as a new rider on the best gear. I am on glove overload too many choices and price points. I am a tall lady with long fingers so I usually buy men's gloves. Any tested brands you can suggest and why you like them? :confused:

I own three pair: Cold Weather Gloves, cool weather gloves, and summer fingerless. I keep all three in the frunk all the time so that I can change as needed.

I don't want to sound like a commercial, but the best quality/price I've ever had come from Olympia Gloves [HERE].
They carry gloves for hot weather, cool, and really cold.

I have one pair of gloves currently.

STUNT - FIVE

Mine are like this with the exception of the 3rd row of of hard plastic towards the end of the fingers. I chose this glove as I wanted full protection as a new rider and didn't want to melt with a waterproof gloves. I'm happy with the quality of the glove but wish I had gotten one size smaller. My sizing was close so I went a size up. Was concerned about fingers rubbing in the smaller size. The gloves have broken in now and a smaller size would probably have been perfect for me.

I also have a collection gathered over the years, a 30 year old pair of cold weather gloves (which still work for most of the Norcal weather that I ride in), a pair of Held rain gloves (that lasted about 100 miles on my stock NC), a pair each of short & long vented gloves for summer, and some snow gloves I bought after the Helds leaked through on that one ride.
Gloves seem to be very personal choices, cold and heat affect people differently, good luck finding the right ones.

It takes a few types of gloves, no one set can do everything. Most times, your hands are always the first part of your body that hits the ground.

Cold - Electric Gloves

Rain - Water Liner Gloves

Summer - Lite Kevlar Vented Gloves

Winter - Thick winter gloves

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I have three primary sets of gloves. Heated, intermediate, and summer. The bad thing about gloves is something I like you may hate. It's like shoes. A specific pairs of shoes fits one person great but another terribly.

I would recommend going to a site like Revzilla or Amazon and reading the reviews on gloves that appeal to you. Look at what a large number of people say about a specific glove. If 90 percent of the people like them you might be safe. If only 10 percent of the people like them you might want to stay away. That is the best advice I can give.

The Moterific podcast, in addition to being a great all-'round motorcycle podcast, has a host who works at a shop selling women's gear. You might want to check out some of their previous 'casts to get her take on the options.
Moterrific | a Terrific Motorcycle Podcast
My browser doesn't seem to like this forum anymore so I can't make a real link.

To answer your question: my favorite pair of gloves are a pair of Shift summer gloves I bought about 10 years ago for $20 on closeout. They are perforated leather with armor across the knuckles. Kinda like this:
Alpinestars Stella SMX-2 Air Carbon Gloves - RevZilla
The gauntlet started to tear on one but I cranked up the old Singer sewing machine and made an ugly-but-functional repair.
I wear these most of the time because I live in Texas.

When it finally does get chilly out I wear a pair of old Widder electric gloves I got off eBay for $50 or so.

I guess you would have had to try a lot of gloves to have a favorite. I tried some and for the fit and price I have stayed with the Cortech GX Air for warm weather. I chose the some FirstGear for cooler weather. I also have a couple of pairs of MSR Coldpro gloves which I use for dual sport rides. I will use them on the street as well. The coldpro's are the lightest and most comfortable. But the number of different gloves I have tried is very small.

Oh, and I am cheap when it comes to buying some items. I have a couple of ski gloves also that allows the handwarmers to be placed in them. I have never used them but they are comfortable. I figured if you could hold a ski pole you should be able to grip a motorcycle.

While I can't say they are all in one gloves, my go to gloves are the Fox Creek Leather insulated deer skin gloves. They keep my hands warm in the 40's and bearable (30-40 min ride) down to the mid 30's and I find I'm still comfortable in them riding back if the temperature spikes into the low 80's. I also dumped the bike Sunday (just tipped over on some gravel) and while they aren't unscathed there is minimal damage. For under 50$ and made in the USA leather I'm sold.

I have one pair of gloves currently.

STUNT - FIVE

Mine are like this with the exception of the 3rd row of of hard plastic towards the end of the fingers. I chose this glove as I wanted full protection as a new rider and didn't want to melt with a waterproof gloves. I'm happy with the quality of the glove but wish I had gotten one size smaller. My sizing was close so I went a size up. Was concerned about fingers rubbing in the smaller size. The gloves have broken in now and a smaller size would probably have been perfect for me.

Ha! I literally have a pair of 5 Stunt gloves in a postal truck from Canada's Motorcycle, as we speak :D

I haven't weighed in on this topic I'm afraid, cause I'm a total glove junky...

Nothing I could say would be of too much help, because I don't understand why everyone doesn't have at least ten pairs of gloves...:confused: :eek:

I have 2 pairs of motorcycling gloves. A pair of Spidi STR-1, and a pair of HighVelocityGear. I've forgotten the model of the HVGs, but they're the non-gauntlet ones.

The Spidis have been durable gloves for me. They don't fit quite right, though, being about right to slightly loose in the palm but a bit too tight and even a bit short on the fingers.

The HVGs fit great, but I stopped wearing them because I got to hate the Kevlar liner more and more. That Kevlar under the leather allows those gloves to meet the toughest CE Professional glove standards for abrasion, cut, and tear resistance, but it takes away SO much tactile quality (feel, touch) that I just quit. They're also super hot to wear in the desert, and the black dye faded from riding with them for a summer and some.

I've been wanting something like the Lee Parks deerskins, or a similar product from BbarB in Blackfoot, ID, but I really prefer to have some armor in a couple spots (like scaphoid protectors, or sliders, for example). I also prefer to have a retention strap that not all the deerskin or elkskin gloves have. Most don't have it, really. And I want a full gauntlet large enough to go over my riding suit or my leather jacket.

Elk skin Ropers from Aerostich if they have them in stock when I'm looking for them. I have had good luck with Black Stallion elk skin gloves that I found on Ebay but I lucked out that the gloves fit pretty well for a generic size medium.

The great news is that you, as a new rider, are aware of the need to wear proper gear. It's sad how many new riders (and, shamefully, some not-so-new ones) suffer terrible injuries due to ignorance or arrogance, or both, regarding riding gear. I've been riding for over 50 years and rarely ride without a full-face helmet, armored jacket and riding pants, boots, and armored gloves. Motorcycle riding is one of the most soul-feeding activities I know of, but also one of the most unforgiving. Give yourself every advantage you can.

Oh, and watch out for the left-turners!

I've wasted a lot of money on gloves. My favorites are from First Gear. I have a summer weight and a gauntlet glove for colder weather. They've served me well. I'm still looking for a good kevlar glove for rainy days. For now, I just use those pull over three finger things...I don't like them, but they work. Other have suggested dishwashing gloves with your regular glove for heavy rain.

I LOVE Held gloves! I've bought a bunch of different brands and Held has made me the happiest by far. I currently have the Held Rodney summer gloves. They all seem to get great reviews on Revzilla though.

My advice would be to read the reviews on Revzilla then go try some on in your local shop and see what you like best.

Held brand is expensive as are several other brands. I am giving up on the cheaper brands and getting the quality stuff now since I seem to like them so much more.

Back