• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lawton Mushroom Mine - Lawton, KY

Deckyon

Reaction score
raven.deckyon.com
Date: July 18, 2015
Time: 8:30 AM
Starting Point: E.P. Tom Sawyer Park, Louisville, KY

OK, so I have some idea of what/where I am going this weekend. I don't know if it will be an overnight trip (probably not) but will take some stuff, just in case. There is some old "mushroom mine" in a town called Lawton, near Morehead, KY. The photo looks kinda cool, and the whole area would be new to me. I don't have an exact location, but the road called "Mushroom Road." in Lawton sounds like a good place to start.

From the website I found the entry:
This Carter County town was once the home of a thriving mushroom mine and an old brick yard. The community’s founding date is unknown, but a few families still call the rural area home. Most families moved to Morehead decades ago. What remains now is the creepy, abandoned mushroom mines, aka Limestone mines, some old railroad tracks, and the old General Store. It can be found beyond Hadleman and past Deharts Bible and Tire Store on #174.​

https://theravenbran.wordpress.com/2015/07/15/abandoned-kentucky-future-rides/

lawtonmine.jpg

I've thought about checking those out, but I hear some shady stuff goes on over there. From the descriptions of the area that i've heard, and browsing satellite images, these coordinates seem to be pretty close to where these are located. 38.262136, -83.221882

It has to be along that road, but from that satellite image, I do not see the entries into the hill (as in the photo I posted.) There are some off-shoots and dual-track further along that look interesting as well. I will be carrying on this ride, just in case. It is eastern KY, so who knows.

Yeah, sorry, those coordinates when looked at through google maps did not point to the location I intended, but i think if you look at the satellite view it seems fairly obvious that the area you are looking for is near that sharp curve with all the unfinished looking buildings. Like i said though, I've never been there, so this is my best guess.

Yep, I have a feeling that is it. There are numerous mentions of the 3 building shown on that satellite photo. Either way, there is an adventure in the works for Saturday. May even head down and run the Gorge and head back home after that. Dunno.

Let me know how it goes, i'd be interested in checking them out at some point. If i wasnt busy on saturday i'd consider tagging along, you'll probably be passing pretty close to my area on the way there or back.

Back