• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

It was not meant to last

Matzergb

Reaction score
Visit site
After being rear-ended last wednesday I have decided to sell my NC.

Although the visible damage is limited to the right side of the bike, I don't want to run any risks in driving a bike which may have hidden damage to the frame/swingarm/suspension. The rear is slightly bent to the left, and the rear wheel was hit at 10 mph, catapulting the bike and me forward about 6 feet. No matter how well the dealer might repair the bike, it's no use if I cannot be 100% certain that everything is all right.

So after nearly 18.000 km in one and a half years, I will probably part ways with the NC, in favor of a Honda CB 650 F or a Yamaha MT07. The decision to trade the NCs immense practicality for a sporty bike hasn't been easy, but it sure is better than the uncertainty if everything is really all right with the bike.

If anyone has experience with this kind of accident and damage, please let me know so I can be sure this is the right decision.

I can't really help, for which I am sorry, and empathies on the accident :( glad you are not hurt though!

All I can say is, some people, as soon as they have an accident, immediately think: "Is my bike ok!? Can I saw off this cast so I can ride sooner? Please bring me a pen and paper and a calculator, so I can figure out how to buy new parts and get everything fixed asap" and so on.

Others, think: "I wasn't meant to be a motorcyclist." or: "I'm not confident in... [bike, bike repair trustworthiness, riding skills, faith in humanity, etc.]"

I look for reasons to ride, rather than reasons not to ride, if you follow me.

I am by no means saying "right" or "wrong" on anyone's viewpoint, please understand that, though!

It's just people would have to try and argue me out of putting skateboard wheels on my bodycast, and convince me that duct tape holding my bike together, wasn't such a great idea, lol.

I've been rear ended lots of times, btw, and survived through things like a car totaling itself, *and* the car in front of me, while I was bounced off out of the way, able to bend things back, and ride home. One time I had the car behind me's licence plate stuck in the bike's rear body work, like a ninja throwing star, lol lol.

Confidence in an activity or a repair, or whatever, can be a very personal thing, that no one should feel like they are being talked into, if they just don't feel right about it and can't shake it. Positive encouragement not withstanding, I wish you well in your eventual decision! ;)

If you translate the red text in my signature from Latin it read: Shit happens then you fix your bike. That's how I see it.

I wonder how you're guys riding that you have been rear ended so often.
I never have been and I'm wonder what are the usual circumstances to have that pleasure.
Maybe there is something can be done to avoid that like checking your rear mirrors more often,
position on the road etc

I never have been and I'm wonder what are the usual circumstances to have that pleasure.
Maybe there is something can be done to avoid that like checking your rear mirrors more often,
position on the road etc

Lots of people say this, some even claim to have successfully done a lightning quick deke left or right, while perfectly judging what the car behind them is going to do.

I haven't managed it.

I've tried, but when I've gone left, the car swerved from going right, back to left, and hit me anyway. I've had cars at a dead stop behind me at a light, pop the clutch and ram straight into me at full speed. (young girl didn't know how to drive a manual car yet)

I've had a truck driver bend down to try to reach something he dropped on the floor, and not know the cars were stopped in front of him. No brakes at all. Not going super fast, but zero warning.

You are a better man than I am, if you can guess 100% of the time, if the vehicle behind you is going suddenly veer the opposite way they were going, and always be able to magically spirit yourself out of the way in the split second you have to react, and the reverse view you are looking at.

Most of the time, when you try to second guess something in a situation like that, you end up in a potentially worse place traffic-wise, and then the car you thought for sure wasn't going to stop, does stop, and there you are sitting out in the wrong lane looking like an idiot while other cars panic and swerve around you.

By no means am I suggesting to be totally fatalistic about it, and not keep a constant vigil, always trying to leave yourself an out or two, but I get really annoyed at the people who beak off as if it's always completely avoidable.

It's best to slow earlier, and gradually, if there is a car behind you, and leave as much space as possible in front of you, but then other cars think it's ok to weasel in front of you, or the guy behind you gets all pissed off that you are trying to block him somehow, and rides your a** anyway.

All I know is I've seen professional racers blow it and crash into each other, motorcycle Police officers get rear ended, cut off, doors opened into them, etc., and a million and one excuses are made. Some poor guy on his new bike gets plowed into, and suddenly the internet expert quarterbacks come out and yap about how easy it would have been to avoid, smugly tsk tsking.

(not referring to you wildone, just in some people in general)

Rear end accidents are all too common. I have been rear ended 3 times in a car or truck. Once I was at a stop light. Once I slowed for a yield sign. The third time I was slowing for traffic in front of me on Atlanta freeway in rush hour. Each time more than $1000 in damage to my vehicle but none to me. A friend in high school missed a year of school after being rear ended on a motorcycle at a stop sign. Last night a man commissioned to sculpt a statue for the Georgia Capital was killed being rear ended on a motorcycle. The driver of the vehicle that hit him was charged with DUI.

I am glad you are OK and sad that you are leaving something you had enjoyed. There is more risk on a motorcycle than in a car that offers more protection. I also understand that if you are no longer comfortable on the motorcycle it may be best for you to move on. I wish you all the best. If time changes your comfort level please come back.

I stopped at a stop-sign while the dude behing me accelerated. No way I can see how I could have avoided it.
Sure there is a risk when riding a bike, and i'm willing to take it for what it offers me.

The damage to the bike is over 3.000€ from what the dealer could tell, so it's more than getting a new wheel and plastics replaced. I'm using the chance to trade in my NC for a different bike I always wanted, without losing any money. I would have sold it anyway for something faster in a year or 2 anyway, so might as well use the chance and do it now.

Lots of people say this, some even claim to have successfully done a lightning quick deke left or right, while perfectly judging what the car behind them is going to do.

I haven't managed it.

I've tried, but when I've gone left, the car swerved from going right, back to left, and hit me anyway. I've had cars at a dead stop behind me at a light, pop the clutch and ram straight into me at full speed. (young girl didn't know how to drive a manual car yet)

I've had a truck driver bend down to try to reach something he dropped on the floor, and not know the cars were stopped in front of him. No brakes at all. Not going super fast, but zero warning.

You are a better man than I am, if you can guess 100% of the time, if the vehicle behind you is going suddenly veer the opposite way they were going, and always be able to magically spirit yourself out of the way in the split second you have to react, and the reverse view you are looking at.

Most of the time, when you try to second guess something in a situation like that, you end up in a potentially worse place traffic-wise, and then the car you thought for sure wasn't going to stop, does stop, and there you are sitting out in the wrong lane looking like an idiot while other cars panic and swerve around you.

By no means am I suggesting to be totally fatalistic about it, and not keep a constant vigil, always trying to leave yourself an out or two, but I get really annoyed at the people who beak off as if it's always completely avoidable.

It's best to slow earlier, and gradually, if there is a car behind you, and leave as much space as possible in front of you, but then other cars think it's ok to weasel in front of you, or the guy behind you gets all pissed off that you are trying to block him somehow, and rides your a** anyway.

All I know is I've seen professional racers blow it and crash into each other, motorcycle Police officers get rear ended, cut off, doors opened into them, etc., and a million and one excuses are made. Some poor guy on his new bike gets plowed into, and suddenly the internet expert quarterbacks come out and yap about how easy it would have been to avoid, smugly tsk tsking.

(not referring to you wildone, just in some people in general)

I don't criticize your riding by any means just trying to understand some causes of this very dangerous accidents when bike is involved.
I try for instance, while in traffic or in stop signals behave more like I use to riding a bicycle meaning getting off the way of cars when standing
as much as possible. E.g never in the middle of the lane etc but more like I would do filtering. That alone I think minimize the possibility of being hit.

I would venture to say that rear-end accidents are more common today that 5 years ago. The two times I was rear-ended I had been stopped over 30 seconds. The car that hit me was no where near me when I first stopped. People are distracted today. We know by what. That is a whole side topic. I constantly see cars with front-end and rear-end damage and guess what, they are still talking on the cell phone.

To the CO. Good luck with your new bike. Can't say I blame you for being concerned about its being fixed correctly. I was in a bad wreck in my jeep over a year ago and after the best body shop in town fixed the jeep and gave me a lifetime warranty on the work. I ended up taking it back three times until it was eventually demmed not fixable. Sadly, I lost one of my most prized possessions.

I hope your happy with your new purchases although we rarely ever are.

position on the road etc

never say never, accident cannot be predicted, it can happen to anyone, no matter how careful

After being rear-ended last wednesday I have decided to sell my NC.

Although the visible damage is limited to the right side of the bike, I don't want to run any risks in driving a bike which may have hidden damage to the frame/swingarm/suspension. The rear is slightly bent to the left, and the rear wheel was hit at 10 mph, catapulting the bike and me forward about 6 feet. No matter how well the dealer might repair the bike, it's no use if I cannot be 100% certain that everything is all right.

So after nearly 18.000 km in one and a half years, I will probably part ways with the NC, in favor of a Honda CB 650 F or a Yamaha MT07. The decision to trade the NCs immense practicality for a sporty bike hasn't been easy, but it sure is better than the uncertainty if everything is really all right with the bike.

If anyone has experience with this kind of accident and damage, please let me know so I can be sure this is the right decision.

willing to give up the DCT? the frunk and mpg?

whatever makes u happy..... seem like the reason to get rid of the NC is not due to the accident, but you were not really happy with the NC and now you feel like you have a proper excuse to sell it and get something else.

I was always super happy with the NC, never had any trouble with it, and yes, I am using the accident as an excuse for myself to get a more powerful bike. That was the only thing lacking on the NC imo, and considering I don't need the NC as a daily driver anymore now that I got a car that gets 52 MPG instead of 13MPG, I can get something less practical and get away with it. :)

I was always super happy with the NC, never had any trouble with it, and yes, I am using the accident as an excuse for myself to get a more powerful bike. That was the only thing lacking on the NC imo, and considering I don't need the NC as a daily driver anymore now that I got a car that gets 52 MPG instead of 13MPG, I can get something less practical and get away with it. :)

Have fun and be safe with whatever you get! :D

Pop back in and let us know what you picked and how you like it compared to the NCX if you care to, ok? :)

Have fun and be safe with whatever you get! :D

Pop back in and let us know what you picked and how you like it compared to the NCX if you care to, ok? :)

Sure will, probably going to be a Honda Cb650F if all goes to plan, but I can only be sure once I know more from the insurance. :/

Almost 2 weeks in and nothing but trouble. Still got pain in my foot and i'm stuck with no means of transport because everything takes a week to manage apparently. In hindsight I should have probably pressed charged on the dude, at least he would have to deal with his stupidity as well, instead of me just losing tons of money every day. Never even heard an apology out of the dude's mouth, just him pittying himself.

I don't criticize your riding by any means just trying to understand some causes of this very dangerous accidents when bike is involved.
I try for instance, while in traffic or in stop signals behave more like I use to riding a bicycle meaning getting off the way of cars when standing
as much as possible. E.g never in the middle of the lane etc but more like I would do filtering. That alone I think minimize the possibility of being hit.

Unlike most of the European Continent, in most of the USA, motorcycles are not allowed to filter through traffic. We call it White-lining, where the bikes and scooters move to the front of the line in between traffic at stops.

In May I saw it on the highway, at speed, on a crowded limited access highway - what we call an interstate.

Totally foreign for most Americans.

An old couple was celebrating their 60th year of marriage together and a TV station interviewed them asking what is their secret of staying together.
They replied, "we came from a generation where we fix things when things are not right and we are not the kind of people who buy and throw stuff away".
Remember this story?
:)

Anyway you can do whatever you wish as long as you are happy.
Good luck.

PS:
Any bike new or old can be rear ended.

If it were mine, I'd take it to a Honda dealer, have the work done and rest in the knowledge that the bike has been measured, checked and scrutinized better than it was when it was first assembled.

Are you getting any insurance money to cover the damage?

I would have gotten the repairs paid by the other guy's insurance. Quite a bit of damage was left out in the damage report, so I decided to sell the bike before it cost me a cent of my own money. Recieved the damage+labor costs from the insurance and traded the bike for something new.

Back