• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Why You Don't Change Lanes Before An Intersection!

shawnfrontier

Reaction score
Visit site
In the video below you will see what almost happened to me while I was riding the NC this past Saturday.

I was coming up to a stoplight when it changed to yellow. I was starting to stop for it, this lady that was in the left lane decides to switch lanes at this exact time with no turn signal and about takes me out. You have to watch my left mirror to see her and in a good resolution to get a good view of the stop light.

http://youtu.be/iQCLbE8MS4w

oof!

Although to me, it looks more like she didn't just decide to change lanes like it was a planned thing, but a stupid thing to do, so much as she was:

"Oh sh*t!" *swerve, floor it through light*

A- going too fast

B- following too close for that speed

C- not paying attention

D- rather than properly brake (read- "should have"; ie: in reality, it would have been only a panicked attempt at stopping, actually resulting in plowing straight into you. And then *****ing because "he slammed on his brakes right in front of me officer, there was nothing I could do!")

E- rather than properly brake, and make sure to safely change lanes if there was a worry about rear ending you and stop, simply was completely unconcerned about stopping period, and gunned it to make the light.

Close one! I also think she had no intention to change lanes and rather was fixated on getting through that light, not expecting you to stop. Her abrupt lane change was to avoid hitting you. Better that you can call her a dumbass for almost hitting you than from your hospital bed or not at all if she had. You should go buy a lottery ticket while your karma is still strong. ;)

I try to avoid hard braking with someone close behind and have pushed through a few yellows in to red to not risk being rear ended. After hitting brakes is too late to realize the person behind you isn't paying attention. Living in Memphis in late 80s I had multiple near misses in a car with people behind expecting me to continue in the yellow. It must have been one of the worst cities for this attitude of yellow means 4 more vehicles.

I did get rear ended in Texas one time for yielding at a yield sign. Luckily in my pickup. The Pontiac behind me not so lucky.

Last edited:
I try to avoid hard braking with someone close behind and have pushed through a few yellows in to red to not risk being rear ended. After hitting brakes is too late to realize the person behind you isn't paying attention. Living in Memphis in late 80s I had multiple near misses in a car with people behind expecting me to continue in the yellow. It must have been one of the worst cities for this attitude of yellow means 4 more vehicles.

I did get rear ended in Texas one time for yielding at a yield sign. Luckily in my pickup. The Pontiac behind me not so lucky.

I think this could include Macon, Ga

timeline

Close one! I also think she had no intention to change lanes and rather was fixated on getting through that light, not expecting you to stop.

Check out the left mirror.
At 1 second the light turns yellow and the SUV is in the left lane.
At 3 seconds the SUV initiates an unsignaled lane change into the right lane
At 4 seconds the bike's front tire starts to chirp and the SUV takes evasive action sharply onto the right shoulder
At 6 seconds the light turns red
At 7 seconds the SUV is in the intersection and their brake lights go off

The bike ended up several feet over the white 'stop' line and the SUV didn't try to stop for the light. Looks like both parties were moving too fast and/or not paying attention.

Is it really considered changing lanes when your in the shoulder? That isn't really a lane is it? She outright was trying to avoid an accident and you were the obstacle. Most likely on a dang phone.

You definitely have to watch your mirrors. Glad your OK.

She went from the left lane, to the right (is when you see her), and then to the shoulder. It's hard to tell since the camera (where it sits) shows more of the ride side of what I would normal see (if that makes sense).

I've gone around people who slam on the brakes at the hint of a yellow, right when it starts to change, I don't see the point. Yellow is yellow, not drop anchor. Riding as a passenger in cars that do that, is awful...its whiplash at every light.
No reason to try and get rear ended, just roll through the light. You could argue the traffic turning left could be a problem, but really it looked like there was plenty of time to clear the intersection.

Now that changes when you factor in red light cameras, etc... but those have been show too increase the chance of rear end collisions... cura te ipsum

Last edited:
Back