• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

10,000 miles in 30 days

RIMark

Reaction score
Visit site
Cross Country – I’m pretty much a newbie, this is my first post so I don't really know what I'm doing but, here goes.
I bought my bike last May after a 44 year hiatus from riding but I figured the clock was ticking so I’d better get to it. Well, in the spirit of “Just Do It!” I decided to launch on a solo x-country trip. I just got back on Friday from my 10,075 mile, 30 day round-trip from Rhode Island to Seattle and back. I stayed off the interstates as much as I could and didn’t do a lot of planning as far as my route was concerned, sort of made it up as I went. I did hit some high spots along the way. Saw friends in Dallas, rode up Pikes Peak, camped at Monument Valley, the North Rim, and Zion, almost ran out of gas in Nevada, put on a new rear tire and changed the oil in Oregon, rode to the Pacific coast on the Olympic Peninsula, 3 days in Seattle, Glacier National Park, almost ran out of gas in Montana, rode through Custer State Park and the Badlands in SD, put on a new chain in Iowa, rode into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie, and then back into the USA up near Watertown, NY.
I found the NC700X to be a great bike for touring. The only shortcomings I came across were lack of power going uphill at 10,000 feet (Colorado mountain passes) and fuel range when the wick is turned up. I was generally getting about 70 mpg if I was going 60mph or less but out west, where the speeds are more like 75-80mph, my miles per gallon dropped closer to 50 mpg which gets a “low fuel” light at about 150 miles and “sucking fumes” status at 170 miles. There is probably some cell phone app out there which would have helped with the fuel stop planning but, then again, a lot of time there isn’t any cell phone coverage.
I found that some of the ergonomic adjustments that I made to my bike were in fact “must have” items. I did some long days, 602 miles was the longest but there were several 500+ days (BTW, hats off to you Iron Butt guys, I don’t know how you do it), but I couldn’t have done those miles my Kaoko Cruise Control, my Alaskan Leather sheepskin seat cover, and my distinctly low-rent cruising pegs. I also have some ROK risers on my bike which work for me. My windshield setup is the Honda Touring screen with a Puig Clip-on Deflector which wasn’t perfect but far better than stock or the touring screen without the deflector. Heated grips helped on the cold mornings and at the higher elevations.
I carried all my gear in three soft bags and a bedroll. The camping gear and tools went in a Wolfman Beta Plus bag mounted on the pillion seat. On the rear rack I carried clothing and a laptop in a DrySpec D-38 and “riding gear” in a DrySpec D-20. The D-20 opens at both ends which turned out to be very handy; all different layer for warmth in one end, raingear in the other end. The bedroll which included a foam pad, an air mattress, and a tarp was in a light-weight REI DryBag. I did use a rain cover on the Wolfman bag when I was in heavy rain but for light showers I didn’t bother. None of my gear ever got wet. The aft CG was somewhat undesirable but it didn't seem to adversely affect the handling.
I wore Firstgear HT Overpants, an Olympia Switchback mesh jacket, and Sidi Mythos boots. The combination generally worked well for the 40-90 temperatures I encountered. When it got cold I was wearing every layer I had including the raingear, it wasn't warm but it was okay. When it was hot I was very happy to have the mesh jacket.
“You don’t know what you don’t know”. Things I didn’t know – you need a new chain somewhere around 16-18K miles. Getting a master link on can be a bear, the backing plate needs to be pressed into place before the spring clip can be put on. Google Maps don’t tell you if a road is paved or not (I have proof in the form of 65 miles of dirt road covered in marbles, not good with my Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires). Shortcuts can take you 50 miles away from the nearest gas. Amazing science, Montana Highway Patrol can shoot you with laser from over 2 miles away (83 in a 70. I think I was exactly a mile and half from precisely the middle of nowhere). Some MHP officers are pretty cool and just wanted to talk motorcycles and motorcycle trips, “Have a nice day”. People are very friendly towards and inquisitive about a guy on a motorcycle loaded up with gear; I met a lot of very nice people. And lastly, Fritos ARE a complete meal.
Camped 14 nights, 7 motels (motor-inns), the rest with family or friends, if you are contemplating such a trip then I say “Just Do It!”, it was a great experience. I think Nova Scotia is next. Be glad to discuss places, packing lists, gears, etc.
PS: Tried to post a few photos but I haven't gotten that figured out yet.

Attachments

• DSCN7554.jpg
    DSCN7554.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN7647.jpg
    DSCN7647.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN7533.jpg
    DSCN7533.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN7885.jpg
    DSCN7885.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN7788.jpg
    DSCN7788.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN8031.jpg
    DSCN8031.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN7601.jpg
    DSCN7601.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, and what a great post about your adventure!

Awesome way to start riding again. Nothing like hitting it all out. I recommend Nova Scotia. I went about 4 years ago and had a blast.

I've been told that early fall is the time to go to Nova Scotia. How long did you stay? Is two or three days enough time to tour the area?

Sounds like a great adventure! Thanks for posting, and looking forward to a few pics!

Back