• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Off to Maine in T -23 hours!

silverhound

Reaction score
Visit site
Off to Maine in T -23 hours! - Now with Pix!

Tomorrow is the day my wife and I head off for a week in Maine on the bikes. The trip will be about 625 miles up total with a stop over about half way for the night as I don't want to push her too hard. We'll be mostly super-slabbing it on the way up except once we get north of Portland Maine I have more coastal route planned until we get to the Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park area.

Anywhoo...will try and check in and post some pix. Am planning on videoing somewhat with the GoPro and have multiple mounting points on both bikes and my helmet. We'll see how that goes. Worse case, will check back in, in a week or so.

You all be safe while we're away!

Last edited:
Sounds great! You be safe! Should be good weather up there temperature wise - he says just having negotiated the Texas panhandle.

Stop in Portland, put the bikes on the Nova Star ferry..... and take a day trip to Nova Scotia while you're up there? Great ride!

Sounds like a blast. I've been that way and loved the coastal ride. Took the Cat over to Yarmouth but hear they don't do that any longer. Should keep riding north and hit the Bay of Fundy. Have a great ride and watch out for the moose.

Stop in Portland, put the bikes on the Nova Star ferry..... and take a day trip to Nova Scotia while you're up there? Great ride!

That's next year's plan. The ferry runs from Portland to Yarmouth overnight which I am planning to take and then NS and the Cabot Trail but we want to take our time so extra vacation days are needed. This year's trip is kind of a "test run" for that. :rolleyes:

Now T -2.5 hours. Bikes are packed and ready for flight. Zero out at 10am.

Well we arrived safe and sound in Southwest Harbor Maine (the quiet side of Acadia) on Monday afternoon as planned. Sunday's ride from PA to MA was hot, high 80's and over 90 in some spots but we made it to our halfway point in Westford MA without incident.

Monday we woke up to moderately heavy rain which lasted until we were north of Portland ME. My wife is now a seasoned rain rider and we had good rain gear so other than her having a little nervousness it was all good. We got off the highway in Brunswick ME and took Route 1 along the coast for the last 100 miles or so. It was a beautiful ride although cloudy and chilly in the high 50's.

Checking in at home with the kids in full rain gear somewhere in Maine

IMG_2235_zpsc2ndvn0z.jpg

Went out for dinner and clicked a pic outside of the restaurant

photo%201_zps6cxb86vu.jpg

Tuesday was wet and drizzly all day but that was ok as we both took a break from the bikes and walked around exploring the coast and a lighthouse.

photo%204_zpskcl9r2fa.jpg

Wednesday welcomed a gorgeous riding day. Mrs. Silverhound shows her enthusiasm in a shot of the bikes form the second story balcony of our motel.

IMG_2215_zpsju1u9mpk.jpg

Blues skies and 70 degree temps. We rode the bikes to the top of Cadillac Mountain where we were rewarded by some wonderful scenic vistas of the whole island.

IMG_2195_zpshnjkv5jt.jpg

IMG_2180_zpsp049hxfi.jpg

Gratuitous Selfie from the top of the Cadillac Mountain

IMG_2178_zpss48ekqer.jpg

Of course we had to indulge in the local seafood. Lobster for me, and my wife tried her first Lobster Roll as she is not a fan of crustaceans and didn't want to make the effort in tackling a whole lobster. It was worth the effort...pay no attention to the dude in the background. He was lowering the plastic curtains as it was getting a bit chilly on the deck of the restaurant.

IMG_2210_zpsuzs1hmp2.jpg

photo%2010_zps6kdgv7sr.jpg

Thursday was an equally great day. We rode to and walked around Bar Harbor.

IMG_2216_zpsiczcvlzf.jpg

Also stopped along the way for some more exploring of the coast.

photo%209_zps5xkhzkiy.jpg

photo%207_zpseyqs91ma.jpg

IMG_2228_zpszwgsfskl.jpg

Ended the day with a nice ride around one of the bays areas.

GOPR0114a_zpsbsz9ggrl.jpg

Headed back to MA on Friday and then the rest of the way back home today. It was raining again when we left Maine and when we arrived home but there was some dry weather in between both trips. Beautiful area if you're planning a trip to Maine. Acadia is a must see!

Last edited:
Great pics. I would love to ride the coast of Maine. Went up to Acadia a few years ago in the cage. Beautiful place. We explored the coast from there south.

Back