• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

anybody upgrading to CRF1000?

Get in line early..........the line is going to be long............and bring lots of money :eek:;)

that's good point, wonder if price is gonna be more like in F800GSA range or more like Super Tenere range :)

There's lots of information, , , & misinformed action out there!! The information that started about a year & a half ago got my attention though!! The most recent announcement that they would be released in Europe in Late 2015 & the States in early 2016 was enough for me!!

I have my name at the top of a dealer's list!! :)

Pure speculation and guessing .......but..........the press says:

"With the addition of ABS – that hopefully has the option to be shut off – the CRF1000L Africa Twin should weigh around 450 lbs., placing it closer to Ducati Multistrada and KTM 1190 territory."

Lighter than the NC ??with twice the power ?? And suspension ??

For sure .........It is in a totally different class of bike in every way ..........including price.....aimed at different market.

Last edited:
I am totally not interested.
The NC700XD is a much better value doing the same thing it's bigger Africa brother does, but at a more subdued level. I have no Dakar races in my future.

am not sure if i could call it a upgrade - the africa twin would most like lose the mpg and frunk.

i really think this is a different bike for a different market

There are already a couple of threads on here with regard to this bike. One of them has pics from the Australian patent office which show exactly what the bike will look like from various angles. Imho it looks very like a Yamaha Super Tenere.

It will be an interesting bike no doubt, for a while. Unless it has something amazing under that bodywork, for now it is not for me.

I am totally not interested.
The NC700XD is a much better value doing the same thing it's bigger Africa brother does
I'm not entirely sure about that...

Can a 45 hp street bike <really> do the same things as a lighter, twice as powerful proper dual-sport bike can (even at a subdued level)? I'll guess we will know for sure once the African Twin starts shipping.

In the meantime, I'm not convinced these two are even related, let alone brothers ;-)

Not sure of the accuracy of this article, but it does suggest just what the mission statement of the African Twin is going to be compared to say, the NC:

The new Africa Twin is going to bring a new approach to the ADV bike market. Where competitors like the 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere and class-defining BMW R1200GS are basically touring bikes that can get down a dirt road, the Africa Twin aims to offer real dirt performance in a package that can also get on the highway.

To me if I read between those lines (and if they are accurate) it appears as though Honda is going after a similar market as............KTM??

Last edited:
I have no Dakar races in my future.

how do you know what adventure can bring upon you?

P.S
BTW for guys who are doing only city commute sure it is not bike for them,
the scoooter would be good enough as well.

I am aiming for true adventure like honda labeled nc700 series anyway.
I am almost sure I'll buy new Africa Twin this year if only price will be reasonable.

Do I need an Africa Twin ? NO... Would I like to own an Africa Twin ? Hell yes !
Dealer here said it is gonna be available next spring in Canada. Can't wait to see it...

To me if I read between those lines (and if they are accurate) it appears as though Honda is going after a similar market as............KTM??

I tend to agree that it is aimed at the KTMs, particularly the 990 range which is sadly now defunct. Many hardcore KTM folk are even bemoaning the loss of that bike, and they are not too happy with the new 1190/1290 bikes. If the CRF was intended to compete with the GS and the like, then it would have a shaft and Honda already have one of those albeit it is not doing that well (Crosstourer). I believe that the CRF and our NC's will not really bear comparison. Our NC's play at Adventure motorcycling whereas the CRF will be the real deal.

I tend to agree that it is aimed at the KTMs, particularly the 990 range which is sadly now defunct. Many hardcore KTM folk are even bemoaning the loss of that bike, and they are not too happy with the new 1190/1290 bikes. If the CRF was intended to compete with the GS and the like, then it would have a shaft and Honda already have one of those albeit it is not doing that well (Crosstourer). I believe that the CRF and our NC's will not really bear comparison. Our NC's play at Adventure motorcycling whereas the CRF will be the real deal.

if this is true KTM is screwed, big time...

am not sure if i could call it a upgrade - the africa twin would most like lose the mpg and frunk.

i really think this is a different bike for a different market

Yes. Exactly. When am I "upgrading" to the Africa Twin? When it has the same engine, same sized Frunk, and MPG as my NC...
hey... I should just keep my NC... what an idea!

Seriously, 99% of my adventure riding happens on Interstate highways, so it wouldn't make sense to have anything that wasn't really good at that.

btw honda will release probably new crf250l rally which maybe more accessible probably.

[video=youtube;aT2-bL5X3sk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT2-bL5X3sk[/video]

I think they should do also nc700x rally version.

btw honda will release probably new crf250l rally which maybe more accessible probably.

I often wonder what the Honda planning criteria are all about. That is a nice little bike, but the "Rally" configuration suggests long distance and speed. The CRF 250 is also a nice little bike but imho would struggle on motorways enroute to trail heads etc. A 450 version of that bike is what is required. Yet they produce a 250 only. Even a standard 450 version would suffice.....

I often wonder what the Honda planning criteria are all about. That is a nice little bike, but the "Rally" configuration suggests long distance and speed. The CRF 250 is also a nice little bike but imho would struggle on motorways enroute to trail heads etc. A 450 version of that bike is what is required. Yet they produce a 250 only. Even a standard 450 version would suffice.....

looks like they do 450 but I don't freaking know for what market for ... :(

[video=youtube;FR3Q-0SCO_s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR3Q-0SCO_s[/video]

Sadly, knowing Honda as of the past 10 years, it will be an awesome idea, but very underwhelming in terms of actually performing.

Back