• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Flat Tire

vman1313

Reaction score
Visit site
So the other day I jumped on my NC to ride to work and it felt funny. Because I had it on its center stand, I didnt notice the rear tire was flat til I was out of my drive way. I put her back in the garage and drove my car to work. When I got home I filled the tire up with air but by the next morning it was flat again. I then proceeded to carefully inspect the tire for a nail or cuts but found nothing. I filled the tire and used water to help me locate the leak but still cant find it. Any suggestions? The tire is nearly brand new and if I have to get a new one I will BUT I am baffled I cant find the problem. Rim is not bent and leak didnt seem to come from the stem. :confused:

The rim does not have to be bent. There can be an imperfection in the bead of the tyre that will cause this. I have seen other postings on here on this subject. Put a little more than the recommended pressure in the wheel and check the seal against the rim first. There is also the possibility of a porous wheel, but hopefully not.

Soapy water in a spray bottle on the bike leak detector. Windex also works.

Tire off the bike .........submerge portions of the tire and rim in water.

There's got to be leak some where ???

Most likely its leaking along the rim. Confirm with soapy water. Also check that tire valve or valve stem are not leaking. If it's going down that fast it should be fairly easy to find.

I find it easy to dab along the rim with a little chunk of soapy sponge. Seems that by using the sponge the soap stays put and bubbles easier.

Last edited:
What 670 says. Several of us have had the "mysterious tire leak". Most turned out to be a leak from where the tire bead meets the rim. Mine had what appeared to be some brownish, sandy gritty material preventing the tire's bead from sealing against the rim. Just spray some soapy water around the perimeter of the rim where it meets the tire. Make sure you inflate the tire before spraying. Good luck.

Also make sure the valve stem is TIGHT, and keep a valve stem tool with you one the bike.

Back