• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

6000km on the NC750X DCT and not very happy.

jangermann

Reaction score
Visit site
6000km on the NC750X DCT and happy.

Hi.

I now got 6000km on my NC750X DCT. I like the bike but not the DCT gear.
My problem is that in D mode it shifts up way too early, and down too late. In the city in D mode it is a pain in the a..
The S mode is ok in the city but it shift to 5 and especially 6 gear way to late.
The result of this is a lot of shifting between D and S mode. It would be nice if Honda could make a "normal mode" instead of choosing between two extreme modes.

Yes I can shift manual but can not get used to shift on buttons. Actually I have been thinking about change it to the manual version, but instead I have ordered the gear lever for the DCT, hope this will do the trick.

I really hope that some one make a piece of electronic in the future that can move shifting points. I guess that the shift computer is getting signals from throttle, rpm and speed, by modifying these values it should be possible to change the shift points, just like the speedohealer do to the speedometer.

Last edited:
I don't have a DCT but in my test rides, I had the same opinion as yours. Honda needs a third mode between the extremes of D and S. Preferably that third mode would be user programmable.

Cancel your order temporarily. For next 1000 km start using downshift more often. You use only left thumb not a foot. If you still wouldn't like it I doubt that DCT if good choice for you.

I have the DCT and don't find "S" mode to be extreme at all - in fact it shifts just about where I would and if it doesn't, I just override with the left paddles. If you are in 5th and want 6th it's just a flick of the finger away (if you are going fast enough) - nothing to it, in fact, I enjoy the control. I find the left paddles to be the perfect blend of auto and manual - very good thinking by Honda. I don't like the short shifting in "D" mode so I just don't use it. If that costs me a few miles per gallon, so be it. If you really don't like the factory shift points just shift on your own...I'm sure you can get used to it - it really couldn't be any easier. Maybe the foot shifter will be more familiar and intuitive for you. + 1 on the DCT for me.

Cancel your order temporarily. For next 1000 km start using downshift more often. You use only left thumb not a foot. If you still wouldn't like it I doubt that DCT if good choice for you.

Mostly I ride in D mode and downshift very often, especially when driving i town, so I know the trick :) Also the trick where to keep it just below 65kmt and that way prevent it from shifting to 6 gear ;-)
I like the DCT gearbox but I dont like the shift points.

I have the DCT and don't find "S" mode to be extreme at all - in fact it shifts just about where I would and if it doesn't, I just override with the left paddles. If you are in 5th and want 6th it's just a flick of the finger away (if you are going fast enough) - nothing to it, in fact, I enjoy the control. I find the left paddles to be the perfect blend of auto and manual - very good thinking by Honda. I don't like the short shifting in "D" mode so I just don't use it. If that costs me a few miles per gallon, so be it. If you really don't like the factory shift points just shift on your own...I'm sure you can get used to it - it really couldn't be any easier. Maybe the foot shifter will be more familiar and intuitive for you. + 1 on the DCT for me.

I S mode it is between 5 and 6 I find it extreme. I have to go above 100kmt before it is considering to shift in to 6 gear. Compared with the D mode where i shift in 6 gear at 65kmt, I find the difference extreme and strange.
I like the DCT and hope the foot shifter is the right solution for me. I have been riding MC's most of my life and cant apparently not get used to shift gear with hand.... need foot :)

You started your thread stating that you don't like DCT. Now you're saying that you like DCT but not shifting points. Almost everybody didn't like it on the beginning. Soon you forget why you even complained about anything. :cool:

You started your thread stating that you don't like DCT. Now you're saying that you like DCT but not shifting points. Almost everybody didn't like it on the beginning. Soon you forget why you even complained about anything. :cool:

Only the shifting points ;-) will never get used to them. Actually it liked the DCT more in the beginning than I do now ;-)

I S mode it is between 5 and 6 I find it extreme. I have to go above 100kmt before it is considering to shift in to 6 gear.

That seems high. Maybe the shift points are higher on the 750 since it has a bit more power. I will use this as an excuse for a ride this evening to see where my 700 shifts in "S" mode under moderate acceleration. I know that if you pin it in either mode it will rev much higher before shifting.

That seems high. Maybe the shift points are higher on the 750 since it has a bit more power. I will use this as an excuse for a ride this evening to see where my 700 shifts in "S" mode under moderate acceleration. I know that if you pin it in either mode it will rev much higher before shifting.

OK, I will do the same thing, if it stops raining. Slow acceleration an we will see at what speed it shifts to 6 gear.

altering the front sprockets by one tooth down seems to make it better from what I can gather.
theres a post on this subject somewhere.

Hi.

I now got 6000km on my NC750X DCT. I like the bike but not the DCT gear.
What specifically is not meeting your expectations? The gear number? If that is all, just mentally add (or subtract) an imaginary gear and ride on ;-)

If it is an actual <performance> issue please post what the problem is.

Perhaps (and this is just a guess) the dislike is not rooted in actual performance but simply your discomfort with how this new technology goes about its business?

Who really cares what gear you are in if the performance is there?

What about this motorcycles's performance (not the DCT performance, that is moot) don't you like?

I do not have a DCT but was going to purchase a used one but my wife evoked the Buy one Sell one rule and stopped the purchase. The dealer a friend allowed me to take it for a day and I rode the heck out of it and loved the gear indicator and the manual shift mode. Where I am it has a lot of level roads and few hills or small ones. You may have the opposite and lots of Hills and Mtns and I could see where the drive would be un-fun. When you respond to the other posts and what is wrong also mention the type of conditions you have which may play a bigger part. In the USA the DCT is popular on the X, and other Honda models. With the plan to bring the African Twin to the US and with a DCT option it would not be with a "poor" execution of the DCT. There maybe a program or a flashing that can make it better for your area. I know shooting in the dark but the two I've driven in SA has made me openly desire a DCT on my next bike. I found the manual shifting a "hoot" and almost bought the used one and kept it at my son's but that would be cheating. See if you can trade for a week with someone who has a manual before ditching the DCT. Good Luck

Last edited:
What specifically is not meeting your expectations? The gear number? If that is all, just mentally add (or subtract) an imaginary gear and ride on ;-)

If it is an actual <performance> issue please post what the problem is.

Perhaps (and this is just a guess) the dislike is not rooted in actual performance but simply your discomfort with how this new technology goes about its business?

Who really cares what gear you are in if the performance is there?

What about this motorcycles's performance (not the DCT performance, that is moot) don't you like?

Hi. Thanks for your answer.
This has nothing to do with performance. If I want performance I can easy find other bikes that perform better.
This is all about shift points, and YES I care about what gear I drive in. My problem is that I feel that I can choose between two extreme modes "D" and "S". see my video.
In D mode it shifts to 6 gear at 65kmt. In S mode it shift to 6 gear above 140kmt.... that is my problem.

I do not have a DCT but was going to purchase a used one but my wife evoked the Buy one Sell one rule and stopped the purchase. The dealer a friend allowed me to take it for a day and I rode the heck out of it and loved the gear indicator and the manual shift mode. Where I am it has a lot of level roads and few hills or small ones. You may have the opposite and lots of Hills and Mtns and I could see where the drive would be un-fun. When you respond to the other posts and what is wrong also mention the type of conditions you have which may play a bigger part. In the USA the DCT is popular on the X, and other Honda models. With the plan to bring the African Twin to the US and with a DCT option it would not be with a "poor" execution of the DCT. There maybe a program or a flashing that can make it better for your area. I know shooting in the dark but the two I've driven in SA has made me openly desire a DCT on my next bike. I found the manual shifting a "hoot" and almost bought the used one and kept it at my son's but that would be cheating. See if you can trade for a week with someone who has a manual before ditching the DCT. Good Luck

I think you have a vice wife :)
Where I live the roads is level, but I like small roads with lots of corners.
I don't think I will sell my DCT. With the foot gear, it should be almost like quick shift. I like the comfort and the frunk, so I am stocked to NC750 :) The only thing that I can set my finger on, is the shift points. in D in 6 gear I gear down all the time, and in S mode i gear up to 6 gear all the time. See my video.

I was reading the manual last night. D mode is normal mode. S mode is for overtaking, and climbing hills, so maybe it is normal to switch between D and S mode often, during a ride.

I took a ride last night to see where my bike's shift points were and Jangermann is right - they are higher than I thought in S mode. I was on a fairly long open road and started accelerating slowly, went into 5th at 50mph (81kph) but as long as I stayed on the throttle ever so slightly it wouldn't go to 6th. I gave up at 70+mph (113kph) since I was running out of road and I was way over the speed limit. I realized that I must be using the shift override all the time because I never stay in 5th at those speeds. At this point I was intrigued and headed for the freeway for more testing. I found that if I accelerated to 60mph (97kph) and then held it there it would eventually go into 6th. If I kept gradually accelerating it would not upshift, though I'm sure it would have done so near redline but I was over the limit again. I also found that the earliest that it would let me manually override to 6th was at 55mph (89kph). It turns out that S mode is more extreme than I thought, especially going into sixth gear but that is easy to remedy. Overall it seems to suit my riding style.

I took a ride last night to see where my bike's shift points were and Jangermann is right - they are higher than I thought in S mode. I was on a fairly long open road and started accelerating slowly, went into 5th at 50mph (81kph) but as long as I stayed on the throttle ever so slightly it wouldn't go to 6th. I gave up at 70+mph (113kph) since I was running out of road and I was way over the speed limit. I realized that I must be using the shift override all the time because I never stay in 5th at those speeds. At this point I was intrigued and headed for the freeway for more testing. I found that if I accelerated to 60mph (97kph) and then held it there it would eventually go into 6th. If I kept gradually accelerating it would not upshift, though I'm sure it would have done so near redline but I was over the limit again. I also found that the earliest that it would let me manually override to 6th was at 55mph (89kph). It turns out that S mode is more extreme than I thought, especially going into sixth gear but that is easy to remedy. Overall it seems to suit my riding style.

Perfect, then it is not my bike there is something wrong with. Thanks.
Also it seems that your bike has LEARNED the same behavior as mine. (irony my occur see my other tread) :D

I have about 2000 miles on my 2014 DCT. I just spent the weekend in the Appalachian mountains searching out twisty roads...did about 600 miles of those. I liked the S mode. I never had to worry about what gear, she shifted as needed. Once in a while I would be on a straight stretch and she would stay in 5th until I let off the throttle...so what? If I needed another shift I hit the paddles. My only problem is that the stock Dunlop rear tire wore down mighty fast. As soon as I got home I took her to the dealer and had had PR4's installed.

I think the way to ride the DCT is to just let it get on with it and not bother about which gear you're in. I switch between D and S depending on the nature off the traffic. D for the doldrums, usually when in town and you're not feeling the wind. I use S on country roads where there are a few twisties and I can have a bit more fun. When keeping the throttle pinned it'll stay in fifth well into the 90's. It soon changes up when you ease off. Staying in fifth can be useful when you're trying to make progress on fast roads. When you calm down a bit the bike adjusts. If I'm on the motorway and find I'm cruising around 60 due to heavy traffic I pop it into D so it doesn't drop down to 5th.

I personally feel the DCT is extremely well thought out. Just let it do its job and concentrate on enjoying the ride. We're so used to being aware of exactly which gear we're in with manual transmissions and the DCT is designed to relieve us of that burden.

Back