• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Engine vibrates at 4000 rpm

michaelks

Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed a distinct vibration from the engine around this rpm, gear independent, enough to discourage further throttling. I found a topic about this on the french NC forum,

Vibrations moteur,

here however no one seems to have noticed this ? Our french brother also mentions a clicking noise, that i also heard around this rpm.

Mine is dead smooth at that speed and it is my favorite cruising speed for the motor. Mine is also smooth up to the rev limiter.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Lee !

Well, on that french post some report hearing that vibration, others not. Mine is definitely not dead smooth around 4000 rpm, which is a shame because it's the ideal speed...i'll wait a while to see if it goes away, no use taking it to the dealer, i know what the answer will be..

I've noticed a distinct vibration from the engine around this rpm, gear independent, enough to discourage further throttling. I found a topic about this on the french NC forum,

Vibrations moteur,

here however no one seems to have noticed this ? Our french brother also mentions a clicking noise, that i also heard around this rpm.

Welcome to our NIGHTMARE!!!

Thanks Lee !

Well, on that french post some report hearing that vibration, others not. Mine is definitely not dead smooth around 4000 rpm, which is a shame because it's the ideal speed...i'll wait a while to see if it goes away, no use taking it to the dealer, i know what the answer will be..

Huh! I note no particular noise, vibration, or otherwise remarkable engine goings-on at 4,000 rpm, in any gear, but like a few others have reported, get the really strange 3,000 rpm only in 6th gear, weirdness. (a loud, hollow resonance/slightly vibey-noticeable, on/off on/off on/off on/off cyclical sound, approx. 3-4 cycles per second @ 3,000 rpm, 100 kph, only in 6th gear)

To me, it feels glass smooth, and perfectly awesome, in 6th gear at 2,500 rpm up to about 2,900 and from 3,150 up to 6,000. (I'm still breaking it in, so I am not redlining it or staying at higher rpms for any length of time at one speed)

What speed is an NC doing in 6th at 4,000 rpm? Probably around 140 150 kph or so? I'm sure that's a nice cruising speed elsewhere in the civilized world, but here in backwards Canada, that would land you a huge speeding ticket, an impounded bike, and a nightmare of licence points, which would effect your insurance and end up costing you thousands of dollars over the course of a few years!

The NC could vibe itself into little bits @ 4,000 rpm in 6th, but if it did, I'll never have to worry about it lol. My CBR125R is doing near 11,000 rpm in 6th at 110 kph, so to me, it's all relative anyway haha :D

Mine is dead smooth at that speed and it is my favorite cruising speed for the motor. Mine is also smooth up to the rev limiter.

Welcome to the forum.
mine too. I can safely say this bike has the least vibration of any bike I have had and that's saying something for a small twin.
Mike

Must be a mixed bag.

mixed bag
Noun:
A diverse assortment of things or people.

Last edited:
Must be a mixed bag.

mixed bag
Noun:
A diverse assortment of things or people.

I feel bad that you got a duff one, Bob. Much empathy. :(

That's exactly why I traded my 2009 BMW in on my NCX! The vibes were the worst on any internal combustion engine vehicle I've ever had the displeasure of owning. They were killing me. (I won't go into the whole hideous BMW experience, but the main reason was the brutal vibration)

I bought my NC last sat and I now have almost 300 miles on her. I own many bikes in the past... NC is one of the smoothest bike i have ever ridden. Don't notice any vibration except for the "funny" six gear vibration under 60-65mph...

No vibration with mine either at 4000 revs in any gear. I never do 3000 revs in 6th so have not noticed anything odd in that range.

Tony

I feel bad that you got a duff one, Bob. Much empathy. :(

That's exactly why I traded my 2009 BMW in on my NCX! The vibes were the worst on any internal combustion engine vehicle I've ever had the displeasure of owning. They were killing me. (I won't go into the whole hideous BMW experience, but the main reason was the brutal vibration)

Thanks L.B.S.!

I was going to keep the NCX until May of 2014. With the engine, transmission, and the SEAT issue. I am going to trade it in for the 2013 Harley Davidson Road King Classic when I move back to Western NC. I really thought this would be the perfect motorcycle to get lost in the mountains with, but after 300 miles now. I know that it is not. The only 2 ++ are the gas mileage and the storage. I rode WITHOUT my BICYCLE padded shorts under my jeans yesterday and I could not wait to get off the X. I have never had this issue with any of the 10 or more different motorcycles I have previously owned. What a big mistake and lesson I have learned from buying the 2012 NC700X.

MyCustomBikeWallpaper_1280_1024.jpg

Last edited:
10,000 miles! Holy cow! :eek:

Really? Or do you mean 1,000 miles?[/QUOTE
No definately 10,000. I have just been to look and the exact mileage is in fact 9771. It doesn't take long with a 76 mile round trip to/from work every day +running other errands

Good show, that's awesome! :D

You have done a valve check I'm guessing by now?

Thanks L.B.S.!

I was going to keep the NCX until May of 2014. With the engine, transmission, and the SEAT issue. I am going to trade it in for the 2013 Harley Davidson Road King Classic when I move back to Western NC. I really thought this would be the perfect motorcycle to get lost in the mountains with, but after 300 miles now. I know that it is not. The only 2 ++ are the gas mileage and the storage. I rode WITHOUT my BICYCLE padded shorts under my jeans yesterday and I could not wait to get off the X. I have never had this issue with any of the 10 or more different motorcycles I have previously owned. What a big mistake and lesson I have learned from buying the 2012 NC700X.

View attachment 1080

That looks very comfy! Hope you enjoy the ever living heck out of it, to make up for things, lol!

Maybe i gave a wrong impression - it's not like a shudder that wants to tear the thing to pieces, it's just a purr that otherwise isn't there. As for the 6th gear issue, i'll never find out because i ride at max 100 km/h (60 mph), i'm too old to risk an accident and that's the limit i set myself to go on riding.

Maybe i gave a wrong impression - it's not like a shudder that wants to tear the thing to pieces, it's just a purr that otherwise isn't there. As for the 6th gear issue, i'll never find out because i ride at max 100 km/h (60 mph), i'm too old to risk an accident and that's the limit i set myself to go on riding.

No, you didn't (not to me anyway) give any wrong impression, do not fear.

That's the only time mine does it's weird thing, is 100 kph in 6th gear. And I too, would consider it a "purr" versus a "tear to bits" lol. Albeit an annoying purr, not a good one, haha.

The owners manual recommends the shift from 5th to 6th at some insanely low speed, like 37 mph! (this translates to about 2,000 rpm btw)

The owners manual recommends the shift from 5th to 6th at some insanely low speed, like 37 mph! (this translates to about 2,000 rpm btw)

My owner's manual says nothing about this. BTW, here the scheduled maintenance is double as often, that is every 6000 km. Guess they don't trust us, lol.

Back