• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cherokee, Gatlinburg, Dragon, Moonshiner 28

Agent

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On July 16 a buddy and I will be leaving Toccoa, riding up 441 through Cherokee, and stopping for the night somewhere in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area (maybe). Then, on July 17 we plan on heading down to 129, slowly riding the Dragon, and heading back to Toccoa via the Moonshiner 28. I ride slow and he's never seen the mountains from a motorcycle seat, so we won't be racing. He'll be on his Bonneville and there may be another friend or three on various other bikes. We shall see. Come find us if you're up that way and are interested.

Just a bump to say we're leaving in the morning, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise. 17 to 441. Lunch in Cherokee around 12:00ish. Pigeon Forge around3:30-4:00ish. Then we'll head out down 321 to the Foothills Parkway then onto 129 to Deals Gap. Headed down 28, we'll have lunch at Stecoah Diner around 1:00-1:30ish. Continue down 28 to Walhalla, SC then onto 123 back to Toccoa by around 6:30 or so.

It will just be me and my buddy who is bringing his newly acquired 2009 Versys. Come ride if you want.

Driving through Pigeon Forge is scarier than the Dragon. :eek: Be safe, and have fun!

A nicer loop...Cherohala parkway and 129. 441 can be a traffic nightmare in the summer.

Careful in those hills.

Cornering...when in doubt, kiss the mirror. You'll make it.

Oh yeah...check out the Kicksstand Lodge Campground and say Hi to Mo. I camp there a couple of times a year. Place has a unique vibe. Tell her Dale says hey.

I agree about 441 and Gatlinburg being a real traffic nightmare; especially during the summer. I learned my lesson way back then so now I steer well clear of that tourist trap.

There is a bypass around Gatlinburg on 441. Watch for it near the end of the Smoky Mtn Nat'l Park.

As others stated, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg is best avoided, but maybe you prefer to see it, and that's OK too.

Just a bump to say we're leaving in the morning, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise. 17 to 441. Lunch in Cherokee around 12:00ish. Pigeon Forge around3:30-4:00ish. Then we'll head out down 321 to the Foothills Parkway then onto 129 to Deals Gap. Headed down 28, we'll have lunch at Stecoah Diner around 1:00-1:30ish. Continue down 28 to Walhalla, SC then onto 123 back to Toccoa by around 6:30 or so.

It will just be me and my buddy who is bringing his newly acquired 2009 Versys. Come ride if you want.
Wish I had a fuel pump to come up and join you. :(

Yes, there is a bypass around Gatlinburg but not Pigeon Forge and PF is as bad as Gatlinburg.

There's also a "Bypass" around most of Pigeon Forge. There's a six lane road, route 449, running along the east side that the locals seem to use but most of the tourists don't seem to know about. Much better than the main strip if you want to get through.

Last edited:
There's also a "Bypass" around most of Pigeon Forge. There's a six lane road running along the east side that the locals seem to use but most of the tourists don't seem to know about. Much better than the main strip if you want to get through.
Oh, is that a bypass. I was on it last year and it was as bad as going straight thru town (traffic wise).

Oh, is that a bypass. I was on it last year and it was as bad as going straight thru town (traffic wise).

I figure the city planners see 449 as Pigeon Forge, Phase 2. Why else build a new six lane road? Maybe it's already starting to build up, but when I used at a few years back it was fairly deserted. I avoid that place altogether now. The southeast to southwest side of the park is the motorcycle paradise.

I figure the city planners see 449 as Pigeon Forge, Phase 2. Why else build a new six lane road? Maybe it's already starting to build up, but when I used at a few years back it was fairly deserted. I avoid that place altogether now. The southeast to southwest side of the park is the motorcycle paradise.
Last year was the first time in 20 years I had been thru there (didn't stop, just rode thru), and I only rode thru because it had been 20 years since I had been over the top of the Smokey Mountains and wanted to see it again. Very disappointed; for a road thru one of our most historic National parks, the road was absolutely terrible-I kept saying to myself-'what a shame, visitors from all over the world visit the Smokey Mountains and they have to endure this horrendous road, not a very good impression....'

Last year was the first time in 20 years I had been thru there (didn't stop, just rode thru), and I only rode thru because it had been 20 years since I had been over the top of the Smokey Mountains and wanted to see it again. Very disappointed; for a road thru one of our most historic National parks, the road was absolutely terrible-I kept saying to myself-'what a shame, visitors from all over the world visit the Smokey Mountains and they have to endure this horrendous road, not a very good impression....'

Don't despair. A major road improvement program was implemented and maybe more progress was made since you were there. It's all pretty much brand new pavement now and the constrution delays are minimal. I was just there in June and it was nice.

Your tax dollars are at work, my friend.

Last edited:
On July 16 a buddy and I will be leaving Toccoa, riding up 441 through Cherokee, and stopping for the night somewhere in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area (maybe). Then, on July 17 we plan on heading down to 129, slowly riding the Dragon, and heading back to Toccoa via the Moonshiner 28. I ride slow and he's never seen the mountains from a motorcycle seat, so we won't be racing. He'll be on his Bonneville and there may be another friend or three on various other bikes. We shall see. Come find us if you're up that way and are interested.

Hope you guys are having a great time...those are great roads. Wish I would have seen this post up earlier, me and my NC700XD would have tagged along some. I live in Buford and am no speed demon either, I ride to enjoy the ride. Hope yall had a great time!

You are all correct about the traffic. It's awful. The ride through the Smokies was nice. The road work is minimal. We stopped at Clingman's Dome. The hike nearly killed me, but I rallied and it was worth it. Now Pigeon Forge is crazy and I think the pool sounds rather welcoming. The "449 bypass" did save us a lot of time coming through town. Thanks for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back