• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A little jaunt around PA with my wife

silverhound

Reaction score
Visit site
This past Saturday provided an opportunity for my wife and I to spend some welcome time away from work, the house, the kids and the dogs. I cannot describe how eager we were to escape for a few a days. The weather was mostly cooperative, still a bit on the chilly side for her but ideal in my opinion in the high 50's and mostly sunny. We headed out at around 11 am. Destination about 175 miles away by my planned route which was about half highway and half secondary roads. I'm trying to get her acclimated for longer rides in anticipation of our Trip to Maine in June. All went well except about halfway to our destination her Sena SMH10 headset crapped out and we no longer had bike to bike communication. Oh well, we had to communicate old-school by hand signals. She's used hand signals in the past albeit limited to expressing her displeasure with someone but that's another topic.

Our ride there took us through Centralia PA which is infamous for being a once-town that is now abandoned due to an underground coal fire started accidentally over 40 years ago which still burns today. Lots of info on the internet about it. Here's some Centralia PA Mine Fire - Photos History Visiting

We arrived at our destination which would be our accommodations for two nights at the Nature Inn at Bald Eagle State Park. It's a lovely and unique facility run by the PA State Park System (DCNR) and I had made our reservations four months earlier because the place is hard to get into once the weather warms up. Lot's of info about it here: Home | Nature Inn

It is a very nice facility and very reasonably priced. Here's a view from our balcony:

IMG_2093_zpskyts7gg0.jpg

As you can see, the trees have not yet "greened up" for the spring as our weather has been unseasonably cold this year but still it was a nice view of the lake and hills.

On day two we started off late (enjoyed sleeping in without dogs waking us up) and headed into State College PA to have lunch with our middle daughter who is a freshman at Penn State. It was nice to see her and here she is with my wife happy to see us.

IMG_2102_zpsedvwsy2e.jpg

After that it was time for some scenic rides. We spent the next several hours following the Elk Scenic Drive which is a 127 mile route in what is considered the PA Wilds Region. There were some outstanding motorcycle roads especially Route 144 which had its share of curves and twisties as well as mountains and scenic vistas. Sorry I didn't take more pictures but we were focused on riding, not stopping. Here's one though at a scenic overlook that is a short hike into the woods so this pic is just of the bikes and my wife.

FullSizeRender_zpsiu1klobw.jpg

Back to the Inn after that and the next morning we reluctantly packed up and left although we did consider taking the rest of the week off until reality intervened. This is an overview of the route which was about 480 miles total:

Route_zpsnyqcvqbw.jpg

No issues with either bike and the NCX and FJR are a great pair because we need to re-fuel at about the same intervals since her's gets better gas mileage but my tank is bigger. Had her run it down to the blinking reserve light at one point just so she could see it. Hit just a little rain for a brief period on the ride home which was also good for her to experience as up until now she's only ridden in fair weather. Got home safely and still could not get her Sena unit working after all troubleshooting procedures were followed. I think it is a goner but am still awaiting a reply from Sena tech support. Very disappointed after it working so well for two years without issue. Maybe there's some magic they can do otherwise I'll just get a replacement unit. All in all though a very minor incident in an overall great trip. Next report from Acadia Park in Maine in June if all goes as planned. Will try to take more pictures/video then...maybe.;)

Back