• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X pulsating

brav302

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anybody feel a pulsating when coming to a stop. I've got right at 1000 miles on the bike. I haven't ridden for a little over a week and now it seems right before I come to a stop I feel something a pulsating. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Welcome! Nice first post.

About your question, if you're more specific I'm sure someone will be able to help: the pulsating you're feeling comes from the brakes, engine, tyres?

My bike does the same thing. I have ridden 2 NC's and they both had the pulsing (non ABS). I attribute it to the wave style front rotor.

I defintiely know the pulsating your talking about. From what I understand it is a result of nothing more than hard braking, and was noted in a good number of the reviews about the bike, specifically the non-ABS versions. I have felt it as well, but it is only happening under hard braking. As I understand it, it just a byprodcut of the compenents used on the bike in an attempt to keep the bik affordable. I may be the only one, but I don't think it is anything to worry about.

I feel it and have felt it since new. I attribute it to the wave style rotor and the way the rotor is rigidly mounted to the wheel. Part of the character of the NC700X.

I haven't felt this on my so far, but having dealt with wave rotors before I can say that it does happen with waves and certain brake pads, but I've never felt the braking compromised beyond the limits imposed by the system itself (hoses, calipers, piston and master cylinder, etc.) some pads seemed less effected, some more. I hate to say it but you may have to experiment with different pad compounds if it disturbs you to a point of distraction.

I've noticed what I'd call a light chatter or vibration, but very faint, high frequency.... Only happens under moderate braking for me, never under light application, and if I brake harder, it will stop.

I've had warped rotors, and this doesn't feel the same to me -- I chalked it up as a quirk too.

trey

Huh! Can't say I've noticed any pulsations from the front brake as described (or from the rear for that matter) but what I have noticed, is a downright scary loud howl off the front tire when braking heavily, lol

This is the loudest braking sound tire since my DR350 with knobbies! Caught me a bit off guard the first time, my F800ST (also Metzeler Interact Z tires) was dead quiet silent under extreme braking.

Funny that :D

Mine did it initially but it seems to have quit as it wore in over 3,000 or so miles. Maybe yours will "wear in". Since then I have replaced the caliper with an ABS caliper and new sintered metal pads. The new caliper does not do it.

I have not felt this on my bike at all. One possibility that comes to mind however is some pad material imbedded in the rotor in some spots more than others causing differences in the friction coefficient of the rotor, noticeable when slowing to a stop but not at high speed or hard braking. This can happen from having very hot rotors from braking hard or frequently then coming to a complete stop and holding the brake lever down pressing the pad against a hot static rotor. Sometimes you can see this on cars where there is a spot on the rotor in the shape of a brake pad.

I have not felt this on my bike at all. One possibility that comes to mind however is some pad material imbedded in the rotor in some spots more than others causing differences in the friction coefficient of the rotor, noticeable when slowing to a stop but not at high speed or hard braking. This can happen from having very hot rotors from braking hard or frequently then coming to a complete stop and holding the brake lever down pressing the pad against a hot static rotor. Sometimes you can see this on cars where there is a spot on the rotor in the shape of a brake pad.
How to Break in Motorcycle Brake Shoes
By Jim Murkot Sr., eHow Contributor , last updated June 21, 2012

Properly breaking-in new brake pads on your motorcycle is of utmost importance. Even if the pads are changed out in your local motorcycle shop and not in your own garage, it remains paramount for you to ensure that this process is followed. The breaking-in or "bedding-in" as mechanics call it, ensures that your newly installed brakes will perform to optimum standards. Luckily, these maneuvers are reasonably easy for today's rider to perform.

Start your motorcycle. Warm it up to proper operating temperature before beginning. Travel to an out-of-the-way location, away from other traffic to proceed with the process.

Accelerate to approximately 60 mph. Firmly apply the brakes to decelerate down to 10 mph. Do not come to a complete stop and do not lock the brakes. Speed back up to 60 mph and repeat this process for a total of eight stops.

Repeat the process of eight stops if you are using performance brakes or simply wish to ensure proper bedding-in. However, cruise around long enough to allow the brakes to completely cool first.

When mine was brand new I thought the brakes were little weak, as the pads were not bedded in. I cleaned both rotors with brake clean and scotch bright pad. Night and day difference. Not sure the dealer cleaned the rotors during assembly and PDI.

Also removed all the pads and sanded them on a flat plate with 80 grit paper.

Last edited:
By Jim Murkot Sr., eHow Contributor , last updated June 21, 2012

Properly breaking-in new brake pads on your motorcycle is of utmost importance. Even if the pads are changed out in your local motorcycle shop and not in your own garage, it remains paramount for you to ensure that this process is followed. The breaking-in or "bedding-in" as mechanics call it, ensures that your newly installed brakes will perform to optimum standards. Luckily, these maneuvers are reasonably easy for today's rider to perform.

Start your motorcycle. Warm it up to proper operating temperature before beginning. Travel to an out-of-the-way location, away from other traffic to proceed with the process.

Accelerate to approximately 60 mph. Firmly apply the brakes to decelerate down to 10 mph. Do not come to a complete stop and do not lock the brakes. Speed back up to 60 mph and repeat this process for a total of eight stops.

Repeat the process of eight stops if you are using performance brakes or simply wish to ensure proper bedding-in. However, cruise around long enough to allow the brakes to completely cool first.

Yep I did the bedding in process on my bike and it made a huge difference. My bike was ex demo, and it seems those who rode it previous was being too nice to it.

Thats a great bedding procedure, pretty much exactly how I bed pads on cars after a brake job. Notice how you only slow to 10mph instead of a full stop as a full stop with hot rotors like that can give an uneven transfer of pad material to the rotor. I also like to get a few miles in with light or no braking after the bed procedure to let everything cool back down before coming to a complete stop.

Back