• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stop Changing Your Oil

I've read that awhile ago. Engine technology and tolerance is so small that the engine oil just doesn't get dirty as easily. Plus the advancement in oil technology/chemistry allows it to maintenance its lubrication ability longer and under more extreme condition. The first time I heard that the Mini Cooper's recommended oil change interval is 15,000 miles, my damn near fall to the floor in disbelief.

EDIT: if you drive an older car, it's a different story.

If you have never been to - Bob is the Oil Guy You should. Crazy oil guys over at that forum. I've learned a lot. My cars get (Acura GS-R) 7,500 and (Honda Civic) 10,000 mile oil changes.

I fully plan on changing my NC700's oil every 8000 miles... well first the 600, then at 8000 (7400 on the oil).

But lets not start an oil thread... the 3000 mile oil change is so in bread into our way of life it will take years to change. My own father thinks I'm crazy, and my engines will blow up any second. After a combined 200,000 miles on the cars, They still are running beautifully, and super clean looking through the fill hole.

I left the heavy trucking bidness back in 2001 but my last truck was a 99 Kenworth with a 475 Cat engine, they recomended 15k oil changes but I did the service at 10k because for the last 25 yrs we were doing 6k, those big engines hold 11 -14 gallons of oil, GALLONS! I haven't been following the industry as of late but I'm guessing it must be up to 20k+. In 99 the engines were warrentied to 500,000, the driveline to 750,000 if ordered with syn oil, I ordered my last truck with outrunner wheel seals which went for 750,000.

I think Honda may be onto something recomending 8k oil changes with syn 10/30 oil. I'm going with Honda 10/30 ful syn at 5k changes in Az 110deg summers.

Back