• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Noob questions: scraping noise in neutral that goes away when clutch is in - normal?

iaRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't had my NC700 long so I'm not familiar with the quirks of it yet. Does anyone know what might produces a slight, constant scraping noise when the bike is in neutral? The noise goes away when the clutch is pulled in and it's too soft to hear over road noise when in other gears so I'm not sure if it's a constant thing that happens when the clutch is out or not. It doesn't sound tremendously concerning, I'm just curious.

Also, if anyone wants to give any advice/tips about things I should know maintenance wise I'd be much obliged!

Reference information: 2012 NC700x with ~300 miles on it. PO purchased it in 2013 new and scared himself so he ended up selling with a whopping 27 miles on the clock to me a month ago. Cleaned and lubed chain when I got it but that's the only maintenance that's ever been done to it.

Barring unknown info not included, it sounds like common clutch basket spinning noise that goes quiet with cable pulled in. All normal wet clutch motorcycles do this to varying degrees; some louder than others, even same bike compared to same bike.

A lot of Ducatis and the occasional Japanese model use similar clutches, except they are "dry", and not muffled from spinning in engine oil. You should hear how loud those things are! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCyLcKdKaNI

Last edited:
Dang, that is ridiculous! Is it something that indicates a clutch cable adjustment might be in order then come 600 mile service time?

Normal. Don't worry about it. Go ride and enjoy!

One thing, though. The 2012s had a safety recall on the final drive chain. Run your VIN through the Honda Web site or NHTSA site to see if it was done.

Last edited:
I haven't had my NC700 long so I'm not familiar with the quirks of it yet. Does anyone know what might produces a slight, constant scraping noise when the bike is in neutral? The noise goes away when the clutch is pulled in and it's too soft to hear over road noise when in other gears so I'm not sure if it's a constant thing that happens when the clutch is out or not. It doesn't sound tremendously concerning, I'm just curious.

Also, if anyone wants to give any advice/tips about things I should know maintenance wise I'd be much obliged!

Reference information: 2012 NC700x with ~300 miles on it. PO purchased it in 2013 new and scared himself so he ended up selling with a whopping 27 miles on the clock to me a month ago. Cleaned and lubed chain when I got it but that's the only maintenance that's ever been done to it.
1st thing to do-buy a service manual...
Noise is normal, no adjustments needed.

1st thing to do-buy a service manual...
Noise is normal, no adjustments needed.

I'm a bad person, I'd have purchased a service manual online in pdf form because I prefer to be able to search it on my tablet when doing maintenance, but the only places I could find it were for free. :/

As for the drive chain recall, it was in the records from the dealership as occurring before the original purchase when I got the warranty transferred.

Back