• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adventures of Nana Chou - Appomattox

What mileage do you have on that bike now OCR ? Must be nearly worn out !

When you do the rear facing shots...do you just spin helmet 180 or do you twist your whole head? :confused:

Also, since I'm fairly new here...do you have an aftermarket saddle?

Awesome..... My Dr.'s secretary called at 8:30 Monday and said he had an family emergency and could I make it another time...... Since the Bike was loaded already, I did final check and was on the road by 9:35am ... made it to Jackson MS late (Motel 6) up early and in Asheville NC tonight...
See you in VA Thursday.

I just got home from the Appomattox HU meet. It was a great event as usual. The facilities there are very nice. Lots of bunkhouse room and cabins, plenty of showers and rest rooms. The meeting areas were great as well. Lots of room at the meeting areas, no crowding. Great next to the lake camping, or you can camp in a field away from the lake if you prefer. Lot's of historic sites nearby, and some great roads as well.

The cons were few. No cell service... none... not for any carrier. There IS wifi, however with 150 people trying to get on the wifi, you are constantly getting bumped off. This is why OCR and I did not try to post pics and updates of the meet each day like we normally do.

They have a good dining hall, and they had good meals each day at a very reasonable price. I was glad I pre-ordered my meals as they sold out very quickly for those that did not. Nearest mini mart was about 10 mile ride. Nearest restaurant was around 30 minute ride away.

The 4 H center is a great facility. Located right on Holiday Lake, it was very nice. The bonfire Saturday night was really nice. The other nights it was too wet to have one.

For those of you who have gone to the HU meet, Appomattox was the same, with better meeting rooms and areas, bigger dining area, and more showers and bathrooms. Bunkhouses and shared cabins were just a little more (I think $5 a night more) than tent camping.

The only thing the Appomattox 4H center did not have that the NC meet has was the Iron Horse campground ambiance. I do have to admit, I missed that a great deal. I also missed the covered motorcycle parking areas, and the gift shop on site. Next year the Appomattox HU meet will be the last week in April so it is possible the camp store at the public campground on the other side of Holiday lake (maybe a 5 mile ride) might be open.

This meet was special for me because my daughter and her fiancee both came on their bikes. On our ride home when we stopped for lunch we had the discussion of what our overland trip is going to be. I think we settled on Central America probably in 5 years. That will give us time to save up the $$$ and get the right bikes for the trip and for them to finish school and get their jobs in order enough to take off several months for the trip.

I have to say it is a great feeling to have one of your kids sharing in your passion for riding. I've loved motorcycles and riding my whole life. For the first time in my life I now have family sharing that passion as well.

Hopefully we will get some pics of the HU meet up soon. I know OCR will take a few days to get back home... although I am not sure he was heading directly back home. There were 4 of us NCX riders at the meet. One was masquerading as a BMW however... LOL I hope I got a picture of that... very funny watching people's reactions looking at his bike!

Last edited:
OCR, where is that Hungry Mother? Didn't look like you were riding Back of the Dragon in southwest, VA which goes north from Hungry Mother State Park.

That is the Back of the Dragon, off of interstate 81. The state of VA is advertising big time in an effort to get more motorcycles to come visit. The interstate sign only shows the Hungry Mother sign. You turn next to the Wal-Mart, and that puts you on the Back of the Dragon. Real hard to see the sign as it is around the corner. Missed it the first time, but went back and found it.

Appomattox - Day Six & Seven

Nana Chou got a real good two day bath. Hard Rain! This video shows about the only time it quit raining.

[video=youtube;IZDJo4f8t6U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZDJo4f8t6U[/video]

A few pictures and Alex Chacon's 360 Video

HUThe Four Musketeers.jpg

HU-CampsiteRain.jpg

HU-AkexChacon1.jpg

[video=youtube;VTlXttQL_Yk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTlXttQL_Yk[/video]

Last edited:
Back