• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Engine oil question

Zippersdad

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't find my manual which had all my oil change info written in it and I don't remember what I put in last time. (a lot of family emergencies have happened since the last oil change, and I just don't retain information as well as I used to) Was wondering how bad it is to put a different kind in the bike.

Honda would like you to use a motorcycle 10w-30 oil. Honda sells a synthetic and a non-synthetic version. If I say anything more, the nitpicks will start and this will become yet another oil thread.

Honda would like you to use a motorcycle 10w-30 oil. Honda sells a synthetic and a non-synthetic version. If I say anything more, the nitpicks will start and this will become yet another oil thread.

The good ol' "what oil to use" threads. They never get old, nor short of opinions!

Honda calls for Honda GN-4 10w30. As VNC said, I'll leave it at that. :)

As long as it's the oil specified (proper weight/not energy conserving etc.)...I can assure you that your bike doesn't care if it's a different kind (i.e. full synthetic/semi-syn/dino)or brand.

One more thing! :eek: It's not an opinion; its a fact. The NC700X Honda Service Manual states that either 10w-30 or 10w-40 weight oil is acceptable. The operator's manual mentions only 10w-30. This is important because the brand choices in 10w-30 motorcycle oil are limited compared to what you can find in 10w-40 motorcycle oil.

Putting in a different brand, type, or weight than was there before makes absolutely no difference.

Last edited:
Grade is important. Suitability to your local climate is key to choosing the right temperature oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be careful with oils expecially with the DCT version. Molybdenum can glaze your clutch plates rendering it useless and costing major $ to fix. Stick with Honda GN4 10w30 or 10w40

Engine oil designed for cars with "energy saving" amendments can also cause the clutch in the manual NC to slip so they effect more than the DCT-model.

Again, just follow the recommendation in the Honda manual. The JASO rating stated will have you covered as far as the additives are concerned.

Back