• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sky Bridge Station - Red River Gorge/Natural Bridge KY Trip - Planning Thread

Deckyon, the only way to plan one of these is to give a date you are going and see who else can go. I tried to plan another "thing" (not a bike trip) doing it the same way you have it listed and it just doesn't work. People are sheeple for the most part. They are looking for a leader (planner) so they don't have to.
I replied here instead of your ADV thread so as not to gum up the thread. You can always go back and change it -if you see any wisdom in my suggestion.

Also, there's a lot to choose from in your neck of the woods!

OK. That makes 3 of us confirmed. I will talk to a couple other guys tonight and see what they are doing that weekend. The room will be $70 at the most (not including taxes and such) so it will just be an easy even split for those who come. I want to try and get 5 or 6, so it will be dirt cheap and we wont be wasting any of their beds. After I talk to the guys tonight, I will call and reserve the room tomorrow. 3 of us confirmed is worth pulling the trigger on.

There is a slight chance they may be booked, which we will reconvene for another weekend after the 4th of July weekend.

Date: May 2-3 (Sat/Sun) Derby Weekend.

The room has been reserved for May 2-3. It will be $70 + tax once we all get there. I have 2 guys coming in from other areas (from other forums) so that will put 4 at this time in the room.

When we get closer to the date, we can figure out where to meet up and ride down.

Send me a message with your phone number in case we get there at different times.

Is staying in a room the main/only option? Is there camping there, too? I might be up for a campout.

My goal with this was to have somewhere to drop gear and ride light throughout the day. Also to get those who dont want to camp, but still come ride and stay over. The campgrounds that are close are very nice, and inexpensive as well. Bring bug spray, though, this time of year...

I put a FB Event up to try and get a "Going" count as there are only so many beds in the room before people will have to overflow, and I think we are close. If you guys are interested go hit that up and hit the "Going". I think it is 5 or 6 beds in the room.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1383008022023377/

I am looking forward to it. Keeping my fingers crossed on the weather, as it is volatile that time of year.

We have just over 10 days until this trip commences. I don't have any weather information yet, but the week leading up to it is being typical KY weather - threatening to do anything we expect it not to.

I will make the go/no go call on that Thursday, April 30. I have to give them at least 24 hours notice.

That being said, if I call a no go, and the weather ends up being perfect, we can still make the ride and just do individual beds in the hostel or head to the nearby camp site.

If anyone has any thoughts, please share them. Especially OCR, since he is coming in from afar.

I can go either way. Have full camping gear, and also can stay in room. Just fell in the kitchen working on new dishwasher for the wife. I separated my shoulder again, but it popped back into place. Be a little sore, but I will be there.

Looking good for the weekend, that Saturday is supposed to be clear with 77 as the high, 53 as the low. The week leading up to it is looking like there will be little, if any, rain.

Everything is still looking good for the weekend. There is a 40% chance of rain on Sunday as of now, but as that is on the way out, the only thing I am worrying about is remembering to pack the waterproof gear.

Saturday is supposed to be a max of 77 and clear (low 55). Sounds near perfect to me.

As the week goes on I will update, and then I will put the meeting spot for Louisville and an approximate time we will be at the Sky Bridge Station.

I am ready. Weather forecast now is 0% rain for Saturday and Sunday (on my weather app anyways). 75'F high for Saturday, 77'F high for Sunday, low Saturday night 54'F. Now this chance of rain and temps is for Louisville; Slade Ky (nearest so called town) is 0 % chance of rain Saturday and Sunday, high Saturday is 70'F and high Sunday is 74'F, with low Saturday night of 52'F.

I'll be dirt biking at Turkey Bay, Land Between the Lakes, Kentucky, otherwise I would join. You guys have fun: sounds like a nice trip.

Here are my initial thoughts for the meetup time/place. This will give people a place to meet, and those staying, we should be able to drop off gear and get checked in. It will allow everyone to make their own schedule for getting there when and how they want to. I know from where I am in Louisville, the shortest time period will be about 2 hours via expressway, much longer otherwise. At this point, there are no actual routes planned. If someone has one they want to do, by all means, we can do it. I was personally hoping to get into Natural Bridge SP for a bit as I recently (March) rode through Red River Gorge.

Time: 12:00 PM (Noon)
Place:
Sky Bridge Station
8 Ky 715
Pine Ridge, KY

Last edited:
Back