• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

dunlop trail max not good for skidding

W

wildeone

I have on my dunlop tyres around 6400 km (3900 miles) and it is left like 1 millimeter
to that indicator of limit. I took my bike few times in last few days offroad for a spin skidding a lot on gravel and dirt.
Noting drastic and today I couldn't believe my eyes. Rear tyre was worn badly on sides plus it was cut in some places along
the thread. Trail max are pretty good tyres on road, very grippy dry and wet but definitely not for off-road.
Tomorrow I'll change them to tck80.

I think the Trailmax's good grip saved my bacon earlier today. I got back in the saddle to practice cornering around the neighbourhood again (new rider, new/first bike for those who don't know me) after about 7 weeks of not riding. [side note for those interested: the bike started up without even a hint of low battery charge]

I approached a corner that was beyond perpendicular to the road I was on. Flat roads. No traffic, although the evening sun was in my eyes a little. My direction would have to change about 120° so I approached slowly and picked a wide line to give myself a gentle curve to follow. I made a mental note to look through the turn. Again, I noticed too late the gravel on the road probably washed there from the recent rains. Remembering that I had panicked the first time I saw unavoidable gravel in my turning path, I figured I had prepared for a gentle turn so kept my line. To my surprise the front wheel began to slip out and lurch a bit with a gut-wrenching scraping sound as I began to straighten out. I was going maybe 20kph, maybe 25. My foot instinctively went out and stomped the road to try to correct the balance, but the front wheel then suddenly gripped again as soon as it cleared the gravel and I was able to stay on the road, just skirting the concrete edge a little. It happened way too quickly for me to react even at such a slow speed.

Actually now that I think of it in hindsight, could it have been a combination of the front wheel regaining traction and the weight of the bike that made it so easy to recover and regain control? I'm thinking if this had been a much lighter bike I might easily have overcompensated when the front wheel regained traction and flipped over to low-side on the other side instead.

Whatever the case, I learned two things today. Loose gravel patches in corners are as lethal as I have come to imagine they are. The NC (DCT) is every bit as forgiving to beginner riders as I have read about and am now experiencing first hand. I am beyond impressed with this machine.

Back