• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Trying to pick out a new jacket

tusken_guy

Reaction score
Visit site
So I am in the market for a new jacket. What does everyone recommend? I will only be riding in late spring, summer and fall (before the snow comes).

I have been looking at the mesh type jackets such as the Alpine Verona Air (Alpinestars Verona Air Jacket - Mesh - Jackets - - Canada's Motorcycle) and the River Road Sedona (River Road Sedona Mesh Jacket - Mesh - Jackets - - Canada's Motorcycle)

I know they don't have liners, but I can always wear a sweater under it if it gets chilly out.

What does everyone think of what I have picked? Someone said that mesh is not good for highway travel.

I have not looked at leather much.

The one I have has been great this year so far, from 14 deg f to 63 deg f. Have to wait for warmer temps to say anything more about it, but I like it so far. It is the Scorpion Hat Trick II jacket. It is mesh with armor, but has both a quilted liner and a windproof (supposedly waterproof) liner as well. I wanted something all in one, and it has worked great. With the weather turning for the better, I have removed the inner two liners and just use the very inexpensive Freeze-Out liner as the wind break. Sweater didnt cut it, the wind still came through big time. Good for the summer, bad when it is still chilly out. Personally, I think the below will work out to your needs. The Scorpion jacket is quite breathable with the liners out come summer and with this in-between time, the freeze-out works great underneath. I have a rain shell (Olympia) for when it does rain, I dont want to ride in a heavy wet jacket even if I am dry underneath. This is just me, however.

Scorpion Hat Trick II Jacket - RevZilla
FREEZE-OUT - Base Layer Zipped Gilet - Tops - Base Layers - Street - Cycle Gear

As for highway travel, I have had no issues with my jacket, with or without the liners in.

Now, with the new pants I bought, if I were to go back and get a new jacket, I would get the matching one. However, I dont have another $700 to drop at this time, and the existing on has been perfect so far.
Klim Latitude Misano Jacket - RevZilla

A lot of the mesh jackets have zip in liners with them.I picked up a Joe rocket that has both.

Mesh should be great for Saskatoon summers; nice and cool in that dry heat - not so much for spring and fall when weather can change from one heartbeat to another. They aren't waterproof but unless Saskatoon summers are way different that I remember them from 1995, that really isn't a problem if you keep light rain gear in your frunk or luggage.

You should also consider tires more appropriate for the grids and that will open up your riding experience in SK quite a bit. You've probably already thought about that but if you haven't...

Last edited:
I have a Scorpion Exo with zip in windbreaker. I also carry a rainsuit because it is not rain proof. We have a lot of pop up rain showers down here.
I like the jacket a lot.
BTW- two reasons I don't like black 1)Lack of visibility (main reason) 2) Summer sun is too hot!

Mesh should be great for Saskatoon summers; nice and cool in that dry heat - not so much for spring and fall when weather can change from one heartbeat to another. They aren't waterproof but unless Saskatoon summers are way different that I remember them from 1995, that really isn't a problem if you keep light rain gear in your frunk or luggage.

You should also consider tires more appropriate for the grids and that will open up your riding experience in SK quite a bit. You've probably already thought about that but if you haven't...

Summers are about the same now. We get more rain but it comes in at once. We got about 48" one summer where the average is about 12"

As for tires I will be getting different ones one day, but have to stick with the stock ones for now.

How do you guys feel about nice leather jackets? I have one from wilson's leather that is very thick, heavy, leather on the outside with a thinsulate removable inner liner and zip vents. No armor in it though. I love riding in it in all weather. Thankfully I've never been down, but as a wiser older biker once told me, "There are two types of riders, those that have been down, and those that are going down." Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence pointing towards what provides better protection?

Motorcycle leather will provide the most protection on pavement. Not the average Wilson leather bomber jackets. There are 2 completely different jackets there. There is plenty of reviews and such found on google for "best." You will have some trade-offs no matter what you buy.

In response to the leather jacket question. I have a real flight line jacket that's at least 35 years old. I love riding in it but would hate to go down in it. Besides the fact that I just had it refurbished, I feel safer with the motorcycle jacket with armor.

If you can afford it, the Klim Lattitude Missano is the best all around jacket out there IMHO. It is waterproof, vents amazingly well and has great protection.
I love my Aerostitch 1 piece, but I won't be happy until I can get one of these as my daily use jacket. Of course I will want the matching pants as soon as I can afford those as well. They vent great and are waterproof as well and of course have great protection too.

In response to the leather jacket question. I have a real flight line jacket that's at least 35 years old. I love riding in it but would hate to go down in it. Besides the fact that I just had it refurbished, I feel safer with the motorcycle jacket with armor.

You are 100% correct! The moisture in leather dries out every day, that is why it starts to crack. The protection factor goes down quickly in leather products. Leather racing equipment is good for one year.

Finances may dictate but I'm of the camp that one suit just doesn't work. If you can afford two suits get one geared towards the colder months and one for the summer. Something that does real well in the heat of the summer is not going to cut it in the near winter temps. Just my opinion.

If you can only afford one suit then get something that you like the looks, has lots of ventilation, and has a liner. Be sure to try it on when it arrives and if you don't like the way if fits then send it back and try another.

Go to a site like Revzilla and read the reviews on the item your considering. Tons of people review their product on that site. You can find out things like velcro issues, inseam issues, breathability, and such.

Klim gear. It's expensive but works so well. Once you start wearing it you will have a hard time wearing anything else.

Klim%20Latitude%20Misano%20Jacket%20Grey.jpg

It vents very well so it can be used on warm days. It can be used on very cold days as well. It's also very comfortable.

Last edited:
I can attest to the Klim, I have the Latitude Misano pants and I love them. My next jacket will be the matching jacket (I linked it in my first post). If only I had the cash.

I went with Olympia Dakar Dual sport because of the following:

Olympia Dakar Jacket
Equally suited for on and off road adventures, Olympia’s Dakar Dual Sport jacket delivers the ultimate in multi-season riding comfort. Equipped with a sporty two stage, wind and waterproof, Thermolite insulated liner jacket, this style delivers true multi season riding comfort. It’s unique "Three Layer Systems Design” allows you to customize its function by simply adding or removing appropriate layers as needed.
Layer One - Consists of a rugged outer shell cut in authentic Cordura nylon with ballistic mesh panels for maximum airflow and superior abrasion resistance. Two flap covered chest pockets plus two zip flap lower cargo pockets and a waterproof back pocket offer multiple storage options. For added safety in low light situations, 3M Scotchlite reflective material is located at the chest, shoulders, collar and back.
Layer Two - Consists of a sporty two stage waterproof breathable liner jacket cut in rugged rip stop nylon and features mandarin style knit trim collar, two waterproof zipper pockets plus an interior cell phone pocket. Forget having to stow away extra personal gear as this liner pulls double duty as functional sportswear.
Layer Three - Consists of a removable thermal layer with authentic Thermolite insulation. This zip in, zip out feature insures multi-season riding comfort through a wide range of temperatures and weather conditions.
Features:
Outer shell constructed in 500 denier Cordura fabric with ballistic airflow mesh panels
Waterproof, Thermolite insulated two-stage liner jacket
Removable CE approved Motion Flex armor at elbows and shoulders
Removable CE approved Motion Flex articulated back protector
Cool mesh airflow lining

Revzilla has a great review on the jacket. I purchased mine from Canada's motorcycle. A little pricey, but I figure this jacket will do for the three season of riding.

/Users/chris/Desktop/Olympia-Dakar-Dual-Sport-Jacket-Neon.jpg

Back