• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Carrying Gasoline (Petrol) safely

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen OCR strap rotopax gas cans to the side of his touring rig, and I like to do something like that.
Autozone has [THIS] container:
2galgas.jpg
Is it safe to carry a container like that in direct sunlight 12 hours a day?

Safe: Real safety is to sell the motorcycle and stay home.... I was just wondering if a policeman would pull me over for being a fire hazard on two wheels if I securely mounted one on each side.

I've googled the subject and haven't hit on anything that discusses this sensibly.

As long as it is a container designed specifically to carry gasoline, you should be fine. Think of all the boats (more of the john boats than anything) with those big red gas containers that stay on the boats forever and a day in all weather in various states of being filled. I mean, if those don't blow up, something designed fro motorcycle use will be fine. Yes, I realize this is an assumption, but it is also a bit of common sense as well. Use a proper container and you should be fine.

I have a couple MSR tanks I use. Of course I am not in the middle of summer here yet, but I have seen them strapped on so many bikes in so many locations all over the globe, I have to think they will be fine strapped to mine.

As long as it is a container designed specifically to carry gasoline, you should be fine. Think of all the boats (more of the john boats than anything) with those big red gas containers that stay on the boats forever and a day in all weather in various states of being filled. I mean, if those don't blow up, something designed fro motorcycle use will be fine. Yes, I realize this is an assumption, but it is also a bit of common sense as well. Use a proper container and you should be fine.

I have a couple MSR tanks I use. Of course I am not in the middle of summer here yet, but I have seen them strapped on so many bikes in so many locations all over the globe, I have to think they will be fine strapped to mine.

I kinda thought so since jeeps and boats and other rec. vehicles strap them on and leave them in direct sunlight all over the place.
Think I'll give it a try. Two of the kind I listed are $30. Two of the very nice Rotopax gas cans are $115.

Hi Strat,when we've ride in USA last october, many guys riding with me did carry this gas container...we've seen a lot of policemen (they sure seen us too) and never had any problem with this...I think they would have arrested us if anything wrong with it...as long as you attach it safely I don't think you're outlaw. You can maybe verify with a policeman what he have to say about it ?

gas container.jpg

Last edited:
I like (and have) Rotopax because in a wreck, they are a lot less likely to burst.
You can run over a Rotopax without it bursting. They are costly, though.
I have one for water and one for petrol - 2gl. each

I like (and have) Rotopax because in a wreck, they are a lot less likely to burst.
You can run over a Rotopax without it bursting. They are costly, though.
I have one for water and one for petrol - 2gl. each

Itlives makes the real point. My son road 1929 Indian 3853 miles cross country with a Walmart gas can loose in an open top wooden top box. (See my avatar). Legal and ok until you have an off. The Rotopax won't leak in a crash as OCR has repeatedly proven.

Last edited:
I have a small landscape and lawn care business, and use lots of those cans. The concern I would have is the lid. I have had several break around the top from being put on too tight. It's a fine line of too tight and tight enough not to leak. Not sure I'd be comfortable with gas on hot parts of my bike.

See this post if interested in a tried and tested gas carrying method. I have been down more times than anyone would believe with these tanks. My bags have been scratched, but not a single scratch on any tank. My saddle bags do protect the gas tanks. Make sure the tanks are securely attached to the bike!

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/bar/8398-rear-fuel-rack-question.html

Last edited:
What sort of trip are you planning where you need to carry extra gasoline?

I suppose that's the real question. I'd like to be able to detour off the interstates and go where I want...That's risky though since odd roads aren't festooned with gas stations like Interstates are.

I have gone places in Alaska and Mexico where the filling stations are over 250 miles apart. Heck I believe I have run out of gas in just about every state. I usually fell the engine start missing out a few miles before empty. I always try to find a safe place off the roadway, where I can pour in gas. It is always better to pick the safe place you want to stop to pour in the gas, before you run out of gas.

I have gone places in Alaska and Mexico where the filling stations are over 250 miles apart. Heck I believe I have run out of gas in just about every state. I usually fell the engine start missing out a few miles before empty. I always try to find a safe place off the roadway, where I can pour in gas. It is always better to pick the safe place you want to stop to pour in the gas, before you run out of gas.

Wisdom from the experienced one!

Back