• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Making the helmet quieter - helmet hack

mreric

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
this is a hack made to my hjc rpha max. is a modular helmet.
it have been made quieter, the vents are also quieter when open. i am using memory foam. cut into strip and is being place in the gap between the EPS and the shell. the air coming in from vent travels in between the shell and EPS liner causes noise.

try this

20150305_221048.jpg 20150305_221104.jpg 20150305_221114.jpg 20150305_222038.jpg20150305_222058.jpg

Last edited:
It seems like that could possibly help with keeping the air that gets circulated through the helmet vents, stay in the zones they were meant to help out with, too.

One or two of my helmets over the years, had very apparent better air circulation than others, at the top of the head. The channels grooved, or the holes made in the eps on some of them just didn't seem to sync up with the padding, vent inlets or exhaust ports through the shell. As soon as you get a helmet that really works, you can easily feel the venturi effect go to work.

It would be a nice bonus with those gaps plugged up preventing channeled air from just spilling out everywhere, (and also creating unwanted side effects like noise right at your ear level) that you might even get better venting.

Great idea, mreric :D

I found that the best way to lower the noise was a chin curtain.

Just hold your hand up while riding, under your chin, and hear the difference.
With many full-face helmets they can make getting your head in and out a hair-raising experience, so you might need a modular helmet... which then tends to be more noisy than a regular helmet... it never ends...

The only way I found to make my (full face) helmets quiet enough was to... wear earplugs. I have done so for the last 5 years and my audition is thanking me.

When my wife and I are riding and it is not ultra warm I will reach up and close her vents.
Every time I do this she tells me it got tremendously quieter.
We have Bell Revolver modular helmets.
With vents open it is very difficult to hear each other on the Sena.
Closed vents make it a little easier to hear but not much.
I am going to try and fill the open spaces!
Thanks and God bless!!

Michael

Back