• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question about DTC

costas68gr

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi how to drive in city traffic with this transmission if you stop-start the bike every few feet must switch the transmission to Neutral when stop?? There is any problem have to D when stop the bike?? i can use like scouter or some day destroy the clutches!!!! because slipping when stop the bike in city traffic.Thanks(and sorry for bad English!!)

I drive an automatic car.
I do not put to Neutral at any stops.
With same logic, I think the bike DCT is same.
I do not think the clutch will wear out because of this.

Only time will tell how they hold up but riding mine is just like riding a manual except you just turn the throttle and go. The clutch feel when starting off feels the same as when you do it perfectly with a hand clutch and hand throttle. There is no dragging when stopped, it's brilliant.

Hi how to drive in city traffic with this transmission if you stop-start the bike every few feet must switch the transmission to Neutral when stop?? There is any problem have to D when stop the bike?? i can use like scouter or some day destroy the clutches!!!! because slipping when stop the bike in city traffic.Thanks(and sorry for bad English!!)

Once you put the bike in Drive mode you leave it there, you DO NOT keep switching between neutral and dive. This is an auto and it is designed to be left in Drive when riding.

Does the Automatic "Walk" forward while idling like in a car? ie Put your car in drive and let off of the brake and the car moves forward without any pressure on the accelerator.

Only time will tell how they hold up but riding mine is just like riding a manual except you just turn the throttle and go. The clutch feel when starting off feels the same as when you do it perfectly with a hand clutch and hand throttle. There is no dragging when stopped, it's brilliant.
Sounds like that's the way to do it!

I put in drive and thats where it stays until I cut the engine off. I have only switched to "s" (sport) mode once, normally I keep it in "d" mode only, and switch it there right after I crank the engine.

p.s., if you get one, just remember it will not go into gear unless the kickstand is "UP". I am a rock I guess, that fact alone kept me in a parking lot wondering how I broke my bike for an hour. just an fyi, although It is probably something I shouldn't share with everyone, but alas, it amuses me NOW.....
phipun

The DCT is Hondas second generation for a motorcycle. I would just like to add about the Learning aspect of the DCT.

The transmission will hold a gear higher if you give it throttle quickly, such as passing, or emergency maneuver. Also of note, is when the throttle is closed, it will allow substantial engine braking to occur, until you hit 10 MPH.

The DCT reacts to throttle aggression. If your easy omit, it will roll out from a stop super smooth, shift gears at lower RPM. if you slam the throttle open, it will take off from a stop hard, and it will slam you through the gears.

And yes, it makes the clunk sounds a manual does. What is nice is that power never stops, no transient waiting time for gears to engage. I've wondered if this aspect makes it faster than the manual NC...

For commuting, I love my DCT.

I have the DCT and it's great - no more up and down through the gear box - I do prefer the S mode for better response - particularly when on faster roads and overtaking but around town the torque and chugg of the D mode are brilliant - I just love this nike and have hardly ridden my bandit 650 since I got the Honda. Now fitter with centre stand, rear hugger, front fender extenda, givi monokey pannier and racking kit - she is starting to look the balon de chien ( french for dog's doodaas ) ;-)

Just to add even in D mode if you open the throttle quickly the auto box will kick down into a lower gear for a bit of extra acceleration.
On the odd steep hill I have found the bike holding 6th gear for too long for my own personal liking, so I dropped down a gear using the minus button.

Hondas ABS is great and may save your neck someday, I have the DCT w/ABS and chose that model because of the uniqueness of the combo and I've been riding along time and have owned many types of M/C's. You could never go wrong when choosing the ABS model.

It's probably down to cost, but surely if people will pay for the DCT with ABS they would surely pay for the ABS manual version if they were given the chance?
I have a DCT X version, but would have gone for a DCT S in red, but for some reason Honda UK decided not to import the S model in red even though they import the X in red.... How bloody stupid... :confused:

I do not agree that the ABS will necessarily save lives. It may seem to be, on paper.

For an inexperienced rider, some of these safety features are great to have as a mental comforter. It can save lives, but usually this depends on the road conditions, the banking angle of the bike, and the stopping force (brake lever, etc).

The real thing which can save your life, is practise good motoring behaviours.
Things like: always check your blind spots. Do not travel too close to other vehicles. Be aware of your traffic 360 around. Practise emergency stops. Be ready to jump across lanes or do a dive into the side roads, abandoning the bike, etc (ok I am exaggerating of course).

The DCT is also another technology which is double-edged. I am unfamiliar with the behaviour of this transmission, when there is an emergency situation. I wonder how it will react. With manual trans, I know the incident can "kill the motor" which is fine. For DCT, will it continue to run when bike is down? Is that good?
I dunno.

So, in conclusion, I want to say, be "manually" alert and experienced. No amount of safety features (ABS, linked brakes, what ever) is going to help you more than that, in a real life emergency.
Ride safe to ride more.

~joe
:D

PS: In Switzerland, ABS is standard for this bike. Manual or DCT.
"Problem" is I cannot disable it for offroad riding.

Well I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one... ABS has been introduced for a reason and is slowly be coming universal.. In the EU all bikes over 125 (I believe) will have to be sold with ABS in the near future. Yes if you are an expert you just might be able to brake slightly better than an ABS bike, but I don't claim to be an expert and I'll take ABS everytime providing it's not too outrageously more expensive than the non ABS model.

Back