• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wheel Removal

rjcrtc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought new Conti Motion tires. I have never removed the wheels before. Usually take the bike to the service dept. to have this done. This time I want to remove the wheels and have the shop take care of the tire swap. My bike has a center stand. Will it work ok to remove the back tire first and then the front? Or do I need to buy some kind of wheel lift to do it properly?

Do the back first while on the center stand. Reinstall the back tire then lift the front while on the center stand and remove the front. Only jack the front until the rear tire touches the floor and don't jack front the exhaust. I don't recommend you remove both tires at once, too easy to knock the bike of the center stand.

You'll probably want to remove both wheels if you're having someone else swap both tires though. I would remove the front wheel, put something sturdy and roughly the height of the front axle underneath, tie the front end down with straps, and run a strap from the centerstand to the front fork to keep it from folding up. I'd suggest putting the axle in and taking a wrap around each fork leg, so the strap can't slip off the bottom.

Last edited:
[ I don't recommend you remove both tires at once, too easy to knock the bike of the center stand.]

I agree completely, especially since you're doing the wheel removal yourself.

I don't think it's that hard, but I do MacGyver things out of wood, metal and ratchet straps for a living.

You just gotta do two things. Secure the bike from fore/aft tilt. Secure the center stand from folding up, which it will do if the bike is bumped forward, or tilts down too far forward.

So would buying s paddock stand for the front of the bike allow me to remove both wheels at the same time safely? I can't visualize the ratchet strap solution. Nor do I have ratchet straps.

I have a little practice at this on the road. To take off the rear tire, remove your bags. Next tie the heaviest bag to the front tire, to assure it is not going to pop up on you. Then tie the front wheel to the center stand to make sure the center stand remains in place. Remove the rear brake cylinder. Then you remove the rear tire.

Mexico 002.jpg

To remove the front tire, leave all your bags on the bike. I try to find something heavy to set on the rear seat, also. I tie the center stand to my bash plate, to assure the bike does not move on the center stand. Remove front brake cylinder and pinch bolt. Use your handy 17 mm allen wrench, that no one seems to have. A number of motorcycles use the same allen wrench to remove the front axel. So, this I have done on a few other brands on the road, also.

Last edited:
I would go with paddock stands at home.

If they are not available get a couple of friends to help you place a flay topped box underneath the sump, pub beer crates work well.

Back