• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Pants - Narrowed down to 2

Deckyon

Reaction score
raven.deckyon.com
The last piece of gear for my own body I really need is a pair of riding pants. I have a budget of $700 for some good riding pants. I already have rain gear, so water proofing is not a high priority for me on these, it is the protection I want in case of a dismount.
My requirements:
1. They fit... 44" waist, 30" inseam. Harder than it looks to find motorcycle clothing... Especially with that inseam...
2. Offer protection to knees, shins, hips. Basically the impact points.
3. Can be worn over pants/shorts.
4. Dont look like bib overalls.
5. Breathable - summers out here are hot in the coolest of times.
6. Some water resistance, at least let splashes run off. Again, I have some waterproof overpants already, but they offer no protection.

I have narrowed my search down to 2 pair. Not in any given order.
1. Klim Badlands Pro Pants: Klim Badlands Pro Pants - RevZilla
2. Klim Latitude Misano Pants: Klim Latitude Misano Pants - RevZilla

What I need is what will push one pair over another? I wont be doing any hard core ADV riding, at least this year. Most of my riding will be on pavement, maybe some gravel. I will need them for commuting to wear over my work pants. Both look like they will fill all those requirements. I just need something that will push one pair over another.

I have look at (videos) a lot of pants in the last few days. Most work with everything except #1 - most with 44" waist have 34+" inseams... That wont work... I have narrowed my search down to these 2 specific pairs of pants. MY initial thoughts are the Misano will breathe better, but I am making an assumption, I dont know.

Help is greatly appreciated.

I'm going to recommend #2 (Latitude Misano) as that was what I ended up with. I like you looked at both the Latitude and the Badlands. The Badlands is awesome no doubt. But, they are IMO more full-on, hardcore adventure and because of that compromise some comfort and flexibility that the misano fabric allows. Like you, for my needs, a true adventure pant wasn't needed.

What I will warn you is this both of these pants are designed to be worn with only a base layer underneath. As such they are not comfortable pulled over a pair of jeans or work pants as the fitment is too tight. Additionally there is not enough room to slide them on over boots which for me is a problem (military uniform), for you it might not be.

I tried sizing up (I wear a 34 but first ordered a 36). Sad to say while they did fit over my uniform pants (just barely and uncomfortably) they were still headed back to Revzilla that night because that left the waste way too loose and considering the way they are cut this is really odd looking (like you've got a load in your pants).

I finally resigned myself to the idea that I'd keep my Latitude suit (because... awesome) and then wear my old Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants for commuting as they are designed as over pants. (Side note I've got a practically brand new pair of Icon Patrol WP over-pants that are perfect for cold/wet weather commuting if you want to give them a shot.)

My biggest issue will be waist/inseam ratios... While I am 6' tall, that 30" inseam has been wreaking havoc with getting clothing. I have the wet/cold covered. I have some Olympia rain gear that I have already used and it was great - just no armor in it, it is strictly a rain suit. I looked at all the different sizings for the different manufacturers. This is why I am going with the Kllim pants - their waist to inseam is better. I have been leaning towards the Misano, just looking for that straw.

If you wear a 34, there is no way my 44 is gonna get in those. they may make it to my knee. I choose RevZilla because I went through 3 different sets of rain gear before finding the Olympia, and they were a breeze to deal with on the returns/exchanges. I appreciate the offer, however.

Like you said their returns are super easy. My vote is order yourself a pair of the Latitude Misanos and see if wearing them as over-pants works for you. They are, hands down the nicest, pair of riding pants I've ever worn.

Few suggestions. Call Revzilla and talk to them. They can help steer you as to what pants to look at that come in your size. Pants that are designed to be worn over pants work better. They have side zippers that go most the way up the leg which makes getting them on/off over regular pants and with shoes on a lot easier. Don't worry too much about the included armor. As long as the pants have pockets for it then Revzilla has armor that can be ordered separately. I have Kilm DCO3 hip and back protector on order to upgrade the armor in my Bilt jacket and pants. I was surprised how inexpensive the Kilm armor is when purchased separately.

Aerostich also custom alters their pants and for years, they were THE only choice for long distance riders. And as far as I know, they all start with their standard length-to-waist size and will shorten them up to 3" so I don't think it'd work in your example 44/30. My guess is that the inseam for waist size 44 would be 36-38?

Klims seem to be the current favorite with lots of riders but I'm keeping my Aerostich Darien pants. I believe the basic Darien pants without custom mods is around $300. Aerostich also provides a repair service and I've had many friends use them after a crash or just refurbishing after 6-10 years of service.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am getting the message I need to widen my search, maybe get two different pants rather than one. One pair for commuting (over-pants) and then one pair for trips.

We don't get too hot here in Seattle, so I don't have much need for mesh pants (although I do have a inexpensive pair for those rare occasions).

I commute with a Aerostich Roadcrafter suit for the ultimate in protection and ease of on/off. For most other rides, I wear their Darien jacket and the AD1 pants. They are a jeans cut overpant that's easy to throw on and provide excellent protection from abrasion, rain and impact (I added optional hip pads to the included knee pads). This armor is great stuff because it is soft and flexible, but hardens on impact.

If I lived in hot climates and wanted top of the line, I'd be looking at the motoport mesh stuff. With liners it's good for rain or cold, although I hate having to stop and remove liners.

First of all, I appreciate all the help and suggestions. Really gave me some pause for thought. I gave up on the idea of an "all in one" kind of pant. I ended up getting 2 pair - one for weekend and trips, and one for commuting.

For commuting, I went with a simple pair of Olympia Ranger 3 overpants. All it has to do is get me to and from work.

For the rest, I am going to try the Klim Latitude Misano pants.

It's Revzilla, so I know I can work with them on any possible returns and exchanges.

Again, thanks for all the input and suggestions.

First of all, I appreciate all the help and suggestions. Really gave me some pause for thought. I gave up on the idea of an "all in one" kind of pant. I ended up getting 2 pair - one for weekend and trips, and one for commuting.

For commuting, I went with a simple pair of Olympia Ranger 3 overpants. All it has to do is get me to and from work.

For the rest, I am going to try the Klim Latitude Misano pants.

It's Revzilla, so I know I can work with them on any possible returns and exchanges.

Again, thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Exactly the same conclusion I ended up coming to.

Few suggestions. Call Revzilla and talk to them. They can help steer you as to what pants to look at that come in your size. Pants that are designed to be worn over pants work better. They have side zippers that go most the way up the leg which makes getting them on/off over regular pants and with shoes on a lot easier. Don't worry too much about the included armor. As long as the pants have pockets for it then Revzilla has armor that can be ordered separately. I have Kilm DCO3 hip and back protector on order to upgrade the armor in my Bilt jacket and pants. I was surprised how inexpensive the Kilm armor is when purchased separately.

This post is relevant to my interests. I've a Sedici jacket and pants.

Back