• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mounting!

ticktocker

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anybody else have a 700/750 with panniers and a top box? How do you get on yours, I'm hoping I'm not the only person who takes the equestrian approach?

I'm not as flexible as I once was, so I tend to mount the nearside peg, throw my leg over like its a stirrup, and vice versa to dismount.

I worried initially about the sidestand taking my colossal 80kg, but I figured it's only the initial mount/end of dismount that has my weight on that side, the rest of the time it is standing the bike off the stand in general (grab the brake if you mount it like this...).

Besides, I remember in CBT having to turn the bike around using the stand as a pivot - if the 20 year old CG125's could take it, I sure as hell hope my NC can!

Does anybody else have a 700/750 with panniers and a top box? How do you get on yours, I'm hoping I'm not the only person who takes the equestrian approach?

I'm not as flexible as I once was, so I tend to mount the nearside peg, throw my leg over like its a stirrup, and vice versa to dismount.

I worried initially about the sidestand taking my colossal 80kg, but I figured it's only the initial mount/end of dismount that has my weight on that side, the rest of the time it is standing the bike off the stand in general (grab the brake if you mount it like this...).

Besides, I remember in CBT having to turn the bike around using the stand as a pivot - if the 20 year old CG125's could take it, I sure as hell hope my NC can!

Same, for the most part. (saddle up!) lol

But I soon discovered that if panniers and top box loaded with gear, and I hadn't yet upped the fork and shock preload, the bike could easily tip right over onto me, overpowering the sidestand's meagre attempt at keeping the bike upright. :eek:

Also on soft ground, I had/have to keep my left foot on the ground, and raise my right leg over the driver portion of the seat, heel first, then calf, then back of thigh. Like a hurdle jumping motion, (or a Basil Fawlty goose step, if you follow, hee hee) versus a pivot leg swing over the passenger seat. I couldn't put any weight on the bike via the foot peg or the thing would sink/topple, so it was a delicate dance...

Yep, hard to get the old bones over the horse's back. I do the same as the suggestions above. Oh, and I have fallen over on my back trying to get off so I always check the "landing" area first!

I wish I was still as agile as Basil...

fawlty_1722476c.jpg

Tbh I have problems mounting everything nowadays. ;)

Getting off is even worse, and I am told it can appear quite comical, especially when I catch my right boot on the pillion section of my Triumph saddle which is much higher than the riders section. I suppose my difficulties stem from my reluctance to stand on the left peg with the bike while it is on the side stand, and sometimes I think I can get away with not doing so. My methods vary from day to day depending on the mood of my lower back. Arthritis is a real bloody nuisance. Anyway I continue to adjust as necessary and standing on the peg has now become a necessity. So yes, Its the equestrian method for me too.......

I cut a small block of 3/8" wood approximately 4" X 4" maybe 3" x 3" idk.. I put it under the kickstand when the ground warrants it. Especially if loaded for camping and the incline is too much. I do the "step over the seat" mount (I am 6'2" so that's not hard for me). The foot peg is more than able to take all of one's weight for mounting. I've done it that way too - pretty easy.

So it's not just me, that makes me feel loads better! I picked up a sidestand puck for £3 from Halfords and use that when it's soft. I've never had it sink under me though - it moves around a bit, but I normally get my weight over the middle as much as I can before I stand on it anyway!

Yea, we have talked about this a few times. I run my bike with panniers and top box full time. I have a 30" inseam. At 50 years old I must still be slightly flexible because I'm able to clear the rear seat (Hondabikepro Seat Replacement) although my foot does hit it occassionally and leave a dirt trail. LOL. When I park at the plant in the morning I place her on the center stand. I just use the nearside peg and climb up and over then rock her down. It's easier that when she is on the side stand.

Yea, we have talked about this a few times. I run my bike with panniers and top box full time. I have a 30" inseam. At 50 years old I must still be slightly flexible because I'm able to clear the rear seat (Hondabikepro Seat Replacement) although my foot does hit it occassionally and leave a dirt trail. LOL. When I park at the plant in the morning I place her on the center stand. I just use the nearside peg and climb up and over then rock her down. It's easier that when she is on the side stand.

Serg. I think we can all learn something from you and the great Buster Keaton in regards to mounting ... If all else fails ... Be creative.:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 135
I only have that problem getting off if I've been in the saddle for to long.
legs stiffened up.
no problem getting on just getting off at times.must be the age thing.

I take the steering lock of and twist the handlebars all the way to the offside, lowers the seat enough to swing my leg over, but I am 33" leg, so not a shorty

I nearly wet myself when i read your comment. Thanks for that. I think i need another dose of Fawlty Towers
Yep, hard to get the old bones over the horse's back. I do the same as the suggestions above. Oh, and I have fallen over on my back trying to get off so I always check the "landing" area first!

I wish I was still as agile as Basil...

View attachment 22834

Back