• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700x and Sturgis 75th Anniversary Rally ??

Bullseye

Reaction score
Visit site
By chance at work...we are to book our holidays now for the summer.So I booked Aug 3-9 off and I happened to be checking the internet for places to go on the bike around that time and guess what...... ??? Sturgis is on then. AND it's their 75th anniversary !! Should be entertaining no ???

Is any one going ?? Should a Honda guy go ??

Are you ....
1) wouldn't be caught dead there
2) hell it's a bike rally ...why not go?
3) Hmmm not sure ?? Thinking about it now !!

I really like motorcycles and I have been told that if you want to see unique motorcycles (and people LOL) go to STURGIS !!!
so thinking about it ......am I going to be the ONLY NC700x ??? LOL

1) wouldn't be caught dead there (then)

However, there's some great riding to do in the Black Hills. Just go at a different time.

Brown shoes at a black tie event.l

enjoy!

More like ATGATT at a bandana event. But seriously I would love to go sometime, I have heard that its settled down a lot over the last several years. Im sure if you wanted to go on a NC and have a good time you could.

Riding to Rushmore is on my bucket list; however, 1) wouldn't be caught dead there during the Sturgis rally-too many people doing too many crazy things after drinking too many frost beverages. I went to one Daytona bike week just so I could say I went. If I ever went again, I wouldn't go anywhere east of the Daytona track and just see/do the festivities around the track.

I would love to ride the area, but probably not at an event like that. Like someone said above; too many people drinking too much doing too many crazy things all at once. For me, I would rather hit a HU or ADV event.

However, I would love to ride the area...

BTW, OP, are you ashamed of your NC?

Although I've never been to the Sturgis event, I'd venture a guess that 90+% of the bikes you'll see there are large and loud, air-cooled V-twins made in Milwaukee. I've been to Sturgis but it was in September and only to buy gas on our way to Yellowstone and I agree with others, if you want to see the Black Hills do not go during the event at Sturgis.

Too many loonies and drunks who can barely ride showing off and doing dumb stuff during the event plus I'm sure it's tough to get a room, quick service at a restaurant, etc. From what friends have said, it's even tough to buy gas with dozens of bikes at every gas station.

In my former life, I was an MSF instructor/training site administrator so I'd get motorcycle accident stats for all the states. For 50 weeks out of the year, SD has nil motorcycle accidents but in the 2-weeks for Sturgis, their accident numbers catch up to Illinois!

Last edited:
1) wouldn't be caught dead there

I rode the black hills last year and it was very nice. Totally unexpected. Your in Alberta so I would ride to the black hills then up the Rockies back toward Glacier National Park. Just don't do it while Sturgis is on, unless you like big crowds of drunk Harley guys.

Thought I read somewhere this week they were expecting 800000 folks in the town of 6000 people. I'd love to go but if you don't have a room or camping arranged i'll bet you're out of luck anyway. Wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole taped to a 10' pole. But that's just me.

Several years ago, a group of us stumbled upon "Street Vibrations" in Virginia City, NV.

P0003441.jpg

We were riding our Japanese touring bikes and we found a spot right in front of the "Welcome HOGS" sign!

P0003439.jpg

Interesting crowd but we had no trouble.

I'm a 1 regardless of the bike I ride. I just don't like large crowds in general...or small crowds for that matter. I'm sure you'd be fine as long as you exercised good judgement assuming at this point you could find anywhere near there to stay.

If I may revamp the thread...
Friend of mine (who rides Kawasaki Vulcan 1600) is asking me to go together to Sturgis this year. He did it once, about 10+ years ago and he would like to go again. But not whole week, just 2-3 days. The idea was to visit first 2 days of Sturgis but something came up so we were talking about last 2 days of Sturgis. So, we would ride around Black Hills for a couple days, hit the Sturgis 2 days and then through Badlands back to Iowa.
I rode twice in Black Hills, was with my family 3 times in the area... It's beautiful. I don't mind ride again. As a matter of fact, I bought couple days ago GPX file from TAT website for some off-roading in SD.
In Sturgis was only once, with my family, in September.

YES, I would like to go to Sturgis (this or any other year) and see it with my own eyes. 99.9 % people who "partied" in Sturgis said it was great. It's HD/Cruiser/big V-Twin pilgrimage. I don't mind crowd at all, feel comfortable. I doubt I would feel intimidated being on NC, and loud pipes will actually entertain me. The whole Sturgis thing is kinda my bucket list. Like many other "must see" riding/driving places.

NO, as most of the posters on this thread said, I don't like to pay 3-4 times more for a campsite and/or room (if available at all). And I don't like waiting in line at a gas station, in a restaurant, in a restroom... I don't mind tons of bikes on the roads (hey, I'm commuting on I-80 every morning) - as long as they don't slow me down (as a matter of fact, I would rather be surrendered by bikes than cagers :D) - but they probably will. And I don't like it. And it's gonna be at least 500K visitors at the time at the area, and if ONLY 1% (other kind of 1% :D) ride drunk that means you will have 5K drunk bikers on the roads. Bad, really bad situation...

So... I'm asking those they were at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, is it really worth a hustle and bustle to see it?

If I may revamp the thread...
Friend of mine (who rides Kawasaki Vulcan 1600) is asking me to go together to Sturgis this year. He did it once, about 10+ years ago and he would like to go again. But not whole week, just 2-3 days. The idea was to visit first 2 days of Sturgis but something came up so we were talking about last 2 days of Sturgis. So, we would ride around Black Hills for a couple days, hit the Sturgis 2 days and then through Badlands back to Iowa.
I rode twice in Black Hills, was with my family 3 times in the area... It's beautiful. I don't mind ride again. As a matter of fact, I bought couple days ago GPX file from TAT website for some off-roading in SD.
In Sturgis was only once, with my family, in September.

YES, I would like to go to Sturgis (this or any other year) and see it with my own eyes. 99.9 % people who "partied" in Sturgis said it was great. It's HD/Cruiser/big V-Twin pilgrimage. I don't mind crowd at all, feel comfortable. I doubt I would feel intimidated being on NC, and loud pipes will actually entertain me. The whole Sturgis thing is kinda my bucket list. Like many other "must see" riding/driving places.

NO, as most of the posters on this thread said, I don't like to pay 3-4 times more for a campsite and/or room (if available at all). And I don't like waiting in line at a gas station, in a restaurant, in a restroom... I don't mind tons of bikes on the roads (hey, I'm commuting on I-80 every morning) - as long as they don't slow me down (as a matter of fact, I would rather be surrendered by bikes than cagers :D) - but they probably will. And I don't like it. And it's gonna be at least 500K visitors at the time at the area, and if ONLY 1% (other kind of 1% :D) ride drunk that means you will have 5K drunk bikers on the roads. Bad, really bad situation...

So... I'm asking those they were at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, is it really worth a hustle and bustle to see it?

Any thoughts?

#1 ..would not be caught there during that week. I have been to that area once with the family as we traveled through there on vacation and as others have said It was beautiful. We drove to Mt Rushmore and then on up to Montana and west home to Idaho. Beautiful trip, incredible scenery and well worth the visit... I Would Not recommend It That Week!! :{)

We met two really nice fellas there...
michael with a buddy at mt rushmore funeral.jpg

Back