• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Should I buy the NC750X

rpoostdam

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

Please give me your experience / comments on the NC750X.
I'll be honest, I had a bad experience with Honda many years back. My 1st bike was a Honda CB900F (second hand). Rode beautifully for a year, then gave me endless problems.
I've never looked at Honda again.
But I love the NC750. I understand it's apparently not a fast bike, but I couldn't care much for neck-breaking speeds.
All I want is a good, comfortable ride that I can use in town and on long trips.

Your comments are much appreciated.
Richard

Hi guys,

I'll be honest, I had a bad experience with Honda many years back. My 1st bike was a Honda CB900F (second hand). Rode beautifully for a year, then gave me endless problems.
But I love the NC750. I understand it's apparently not a fast bike, but I couldn't care much for neck-breaking speeds.
All I want is a good, comfortable ride that I can use in town and on long trips.

Richard

It's faster that a sports car!

Smooth power delivery off a low reving engine with loads of low down torque.
High and wide riding position with a very low centre of gravity.
Tracks incredibly well on the bends at high speed, and flicks in out out of city traffic effortlessly.

If you want shoulder wrenching acceleration and 2 up touring in triple digits this probably is not the bike for you.

But if you want a comfortable, competent ride, relaxed ride that will last forever, and allow you to tour 2 up at Motorway legal speeds all day without the need of a chiropractor then I'd say buy one.

You will need to buy a tall screen if you want to use it on a motorway, the stock screen is inadequate.

Hi guys,

Richard

you got a second hand bike that gave you problem--- and u used that reason to never look at honda again??? how do you know for sure that it was prepertly broken-in, ridden, and maintained?

you like it? you can afford it? then get one!
never had an issue with honda bike, but i always got it new. never inherit someone else neglect of maint

Honda's are usually bullet proof, when maintained. Hell, they have been making motorcycles long before they made cars. the NC is my first bike, and I was originally looking at a vintage bike (like a cb900f) but then a friend gave me good advice - dont buy an older bike, or even a used one, unless you are comfortable wrenching on it. He has a number of old vintage bikes, from late 60s to mid 80s. He said I would need to become a mechanic to keep an older bike like that running; or spend a lot of money with a mechanic...

The best thing I can recommend is to get on youtube and watch some of the videos of actual owner reviews of the bike. Read as much as you can, so you understand exactly what you are buying. I love my NC700X. It is exactly what I wanted and expected. It is an awesome commuter and while I have yet to go more than 200 miles in a sitting, I have found it very comfortable. I am planning on getting a different windscreen, but the existing one in the higher position works well enough for me for now.

Honda's are usually bullet proof, when maintained. .

nothing is bullet proof anymore but with honda, yamaha you have better chances :)

Anyway nc750x is great bike, I recommend it. Low COG, nimble, good torque, storage, enough power and speed. What else you may need?

Honda's are usually bullet proof, when maintained. Hell, they have been making motorcycles long before they made cars. the NC is my first bike, and I was originally looking at a vintage bike (like a cb900f) but then a friend gave me good advice - dont buy an older bike, or even a used one, unless you are comfortable wrenching on it. He has a number of old vintage bikes, from late 60s to mid 80s. He said I would need to become a mechanic to keep an older bike like that running; or spend a lot of money with a mechanic...

The best thing I can recommend is to get on youtube and watch some of the videos of actual owner reviews of the bike. Read as much as you can, so you understand exactly what you are buying. I love my NC700X. It is exactly what I wanted and expected. It is an awesome commuter and while I have yet to go more than 200 miles in a sitting, I have found it very comfortable. I am planning on getting a different windscreen, but the existing one in the higher position works well enough for me for now.

Sage advice your friend gave you, Honda motorcycles are legendary for the reliability of their engines and gearbox as long as you change the oil and filter regularly.

Service intervals on the lower revving NC series are 8000 miles, so it isn't exactly a chore.

Of course you will go through tyres, coolant, the odd clutch cable and plate over the years, but the engine, grace, swinging arm and running gear will pretty much last forever.

A common problem with second hand bikes is cheapness. You can buy a 10 year old super sport for £1000, it cheap, the buyer us cheap, a service, filters, lubricants, plugs, pads, labour will cost nearly 20% the cost of the bike, so the owner does not bother, a bad buy for someone looking for reliability down the line.

I have rebuilt vintage Honda's from the ground up, it is satisfying, but if that labour, to make it all the bike it can be, were at a dealer it would cost more than a new model.

Buy it and keep it, or use Honda PCP leasing and have a new one every 2 years

Thanks guys for the quick replies and all your input.

I've learnt since, never buy someone else second-hand crap... Sadly I was just turned off by Honda after that experience.
I've mainly been riding Suzuki since (o, and Hyosung - which I must say, I was fairly impressed with)

I'm not looking for a rocket. The idea of biking is, sitting comfortably, feeling the wind, enjoying the ride and following the sun till it sets... The idea of speeding at 200kms/hr and praying the whole way that some 4-wheeled machine doesn't serve in front of you at that speed, is NOT my idea of enjoying the ride.

My main reason for wanting to buy the NC750, I'd like to start doing road trips once a year round South Africa. I was considering getting a BMW GS800, but they are WAY over rated! What you pay for them, is not worth what you get.
And from everything I've read so far, the NC is truly the best of both worlds in commuting around town, and nice comfortable road trips.

Thanks again guys.
I'll keep you posted when I'm ready to get myne.
Safe riding.

Honda makes good bikes. This is probably my 10th Honda in the last 30 years. I've never once had a problem but I admit I rarely keep a bike over 3-5 years and always bought new. Enough said.

If the NCX looks like the bike for you (i.e. a good commuter, lots of storage, fuel economy) then this is the bike for you. We have seen zero instances of repeat failures. It's a great bike for what it was made for. If you looking for some high speed adventures or serious off-roading it’s not your bike. It is awesome for commuting and I can vouch for that first hand. I ride this bike daily through the Little Rock area.

It's not perfect but does a whole lot things right and has not let me down yet. I will keep mine for at least another year. Maybe more. I'm not tired of it yet.

Hi guys,

Richard

Welcome to the Forum, Richard

Short answer, yes you should. ;)

More complex answer- Personally, I don't think anyone should have to convince themselves, or be convinced by others, to buy a motorcycle they want, lol. If a certain motorcycle intrigues them, then many nights of restless sleep and days spent furtively drooling over pictures and generally lusting on the internet while at work, should be de rigueur, no amount of others opinions would satisfy myself, hee hee

Reasonings and justifications are so varied for what people think they want out of a motorcycle, good or bad, that only they themselves can truly crack that particular nut. If you are comparing an NC750X with a Hayabusa, and a KTM 690 Enduro R, well, you are likely to be sorely surprised and/or disappointed by one of them.

I don't laundry list shop for a generic motorcycle that fits within a given set of specs or base my choice on a "best bang for the buck" out of a pool of similarly marketed motorcycles kinda thing. Sure, if the bike I want happens to be a best deal for the dollar, or the fastest, or the best mpg/whatever, and that's what I wanted too, well bonus! But if the bike I truly wanted was the slowest, or got the worst mpg etc., I wouldn't buy another brand or model just because of that.

At this point in my lifetime of owning bikes, the NCX is absolutely *the* perfect motorcycle. It's almost as if Honda built the thing to my personal specification dream bike list. In my teens, maybe not so much, due to wanting a 20,000 rpm 32 valve screaming RRRR sportbike, but now, and for the past couple decades? Perfect! :D

Best of luck with whatever choice you decide on! :)

As you can see, nearly everyone here will tell you that you should buy one. Some people have bought the NC and then sold them or want to sell them. Their feedback might be more valuable than ours.

I depends on what you want in the machine. Want a fast bike? Don't but the NC. Want one for comfy two up riding? I suggest not buying it. Have really short legs? Don't buy one. Think 6400 rpm is too low of a redline? Don't buy one.

I do like mine. It's not perfect. I had to make a lot of changes to it. I expect to own it for a long time.

Last edited:
L
As you can see, nearly everyone here will tell you that you should buy one. Some people have bought the NC and then sold them or want to sell them. Their feedback might be more valuable than ours.

I depends on what you want in the machine. Want a fast bike? Don't but the NC. Want one for comfy two up riding? I suggest not buying it. Have really short legs? Don't buy one. Think 6400 rpm is too low of a redline? Don't buy one.

I do like mine. It's not perfect. I had to make a lot of changes to it. I expect to own it for s long time.

Demomstrates a good point the above remark.

I considered my Transalp a superior 2 up touring machine than my ST1300 Pan European, and I consider the NC750X better than the Transalp.

Go figure

I will advise you not to buy a NC 750X. Go for a 700X instead. Its the original and the best ! :cool:

The 750 is a quick, competent, frugal and hugely practical bike. Sure, it's no 'blade or 600RR but it's a whole lot quicker than you might have been led to believe.

Go test one, you'll see.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

I like the NC750X. Unfortunately they don't have the original Nc700 here, unless I get 2nd hand.

I understand each person has different ideas on "the perfect bike"... I just wanted to hear from you guys how you felt about your own NC.
I'm not looking for speed. All I want is a good, reliable bike that I can commute with and take on a relaxed "Sunday drive" out on the open road. And do a few long distance tours.

Safe travels...

Back