• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Premium Speed

damon

Reaction score
Visit site
Had my NC750X DCT for nearly a year now.
I have always used Shell V Power Nitro petrol in it but i read a few forums on here that the NC is just as happy on the standard 91 Ron. So......for the last month i have been using standard petrol. OK i saved a tiny amount of money, and the MPG is excactly the same (63mpg) but i can definetely say the bike feels a lot more sluggish with the regular.

It maybe just in my mind that i am slower, but has anyone else done this test and came to the same conclusion? :confused:

Yes, it is in your mind, unless you just got a bad batch of gas. Extra Octane has no benefit, might even burn dirtier in an engine that doesn't need it..

I wish that I still have the results of my long study on regular vs premium gas (a car study) and I found that all I did was pay extra for premium with no added mpg, nor did I notice a change in my engine performance.

Yes, it is in your mind, unless you just got a bad batch of gas. Extra Octane has no benefit, might even burn dirtier in an engine that doesn't need it..

exactly, buying premium fuel virtually makes no sense.

The only reason to buy Premium here in Vermont is that most of the no-ethanol fuel that is available is Premium grade. My bike runs just fine on 10% Ethanol Regular. I usually run a couple of tanks of no-ethanol fuel through any of the bikes I've had just before storing them for the winter.

Last edited:
I think we have all experimented with the Premium vs Regular over the years and it just doesn't seem to make a different. My Pathfinder called for mid-grade but I run regular. She runs great.

Back in the day, when Premium was really Premium it did make a difference in my 68 Firebird. Today, not worth the extra you pay. Besides, this bike is so good on gas even if it did help your only putting $6 of gas in at a time. If I have to stop 10 miles sooner it is still only $6 more dollars unlike my Tahoe that is $70.

Higher Octane does not equal more power. Octane does not give added 'power' to gasoline. Octane is an additive which actually DECREASES the combustibility of gasoline under temp and pressure=this is how it removes the knock from high performance engines.

I'd bet if fuel stations did an experiment and offered the same gasoline at three different prices, some people would still buy the most expensive one because it made their car run better.

NC750X with KN filter (all the rest is stock) and 2500 kms (1550 miles ) and DCT

Regular gas average max speed :170 km/h (108,74 mph) , Premium/Super gas average max speed 185km/h (114,95 mph)

I confirm, those engines are sensitive to the gas you put in the tank for performance issues.

My surprise is : that not the case for the fuel consumption ! (the same whatever the fuel I use for my commuting...)

So the 750X has lower top speed than the good old 700X??

Where I live fuel is S#$T and top speed will go more than 180km/h with the givi touring screen.

not lower but not far (I said average, to make any miles to miles comparaison, it's necessary to test with all the same parameters) , where the 750 is ahead it's in accelaration and engine response (that's daily experience with the two machines).

I just don't know guys, i know it is supposed to make no difference at all but i swear i am more sluggish. I do the same commute day in and day out over here in the UK so my riding is always the same if you know what i mean.
I will go back to the higher octane juice next week and report back..maybe it is my old mind playing tricks, but this trickery feels quite rewarding :)

My last tank was less (49,4 MGP).....I have to calm myself or I'll lose my points allowed to drive....:( ...I love Parisians trafic jams on S mode ;)

Back