• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda DCT accessory foot shift kit - intro, installation and ride

That's agood video to watch if you're in the market for a foot shifter.

I still don't get it though, unless you have a prosthetic left arm/hand.

It's a failing of mine, perhaps, but I guess I'm just not a video person. I looked at the start of them and saw it would take 25 minutes of my time to watch them all. Would you mind summarizing in a written paragraph or two the install process and benefits of the foot shifter on an automatic transmission?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the videos. I will be installing the pedal-shifter on my DCT in the next few days so these come like God-sent.

Thanks to TechiePilot who posted info on the 08U70-MGS-J51 change pedal kit in the Mods forum, I purchased one and installed it yesterday. I uploaded a three part video series to YouTube this afternoon:
Introduction: http://youtu.be/lo0CoE-dEls
Installation: http://youtu.be/gsiwLVHd3qE
Demo ride: http://youtu.be/MX8NoY-xGsQ

Bill

Bill, Nice video and commentary through the entire process. Thanks for putting this all together for us all to review. I also noticed that you had a Yamaha SR500 on the lift behind you.

I was curious about the optional foot shifter. Inquiring minds would like to know, "How much as it and where did you get it?".

After watching all these videos, I have decided the foot shifter is not for me. I believe the DCTs need to stay unique and pure. I like the hand control “Paddles”, besides I can find them all very easily including the “MT/AT” switch with little to no effort involved. On occasion when switching between my bikes, I find myself reaching for a clutch lever and foot pedal from time to time. It’s all good… :eek:

Bill, thanks for posting the information and videos on the DCT foot shifter. I believe that this is an individual choice and each individual would have their own reasons for getting one or not getting one.

Thanks again for taking the time with the videos.

If I were able to get a DCT, I would like a foot operated shifter instead of buttons on the bar.

For me, the only reason I would consider an auto, is to alleviate the need for a clutch pull with the left hand. I still love to shift gears myself. Mind you, the NCX has a very light pull, but still, it can get a bit tiring in heavy traffic after a long day and my old guy tendons are getting more and more worse for wear. It was brutal with my F800ST, especially with how bad the continual stalling and hiccupping was, I had to be hyper vigilant with constantly fanning the clutch to prevent a dead in the water lurch, right at the worst time.

I would feel more comfortable still "shifting" if I wanted to as normal, except a bonus of not having to use a clutch. My brain is permanently wired to behave that way on a motorcycle. It probably would take me years to stop grabbing for a non-existent lever, and giving myself mild whiplash from throttle blipping and looking like an idiot, as I tried to down shift, lol :rolleyes: :eek:

Bill,
I liked the videos you put together for the foot shifter.
I had one put on my Honda CTX700. The installation is a little easier because it did not involve modifying the plastic cover.
Did you have to register the foot shifter before it would work ? I had to on the CTX700.
I now find I have 4 motorcycles in 1.
The Drive Mode.
The Sports Mode.
The Manual Mode with the Paddle Shifter.
The Manual Mode with the Foot Shifter.
I frequently use all the modes depending on my mood and my riding environment.
Peter

Bill, thanks for posting the information and videos on the DCT foot shifter. I believe that this is an individual choice and each individual would have their own reasons for getting one or not getting one.

Thanks again for taking the time with the videos.

I agree that it's an individual choice - which is why I didn't waste any time proselytizing for it. Posting the videos was a way of paying back for the help this and other forums have given me. It's a pleasure.

<snip>

I was curious about the optional foot shifter. Inquiring minds would like to know, "How much as it and where did you get it?".

<snip>

This is the original post by TechiePilot http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/1168-dual-clutch-transmission-change-pedal-kit.html and his source was a Japanese company name Webike. The price from Webike was around $300. I bought mine through a Japanese intermediary company (Biddee) who bid on my behalf at an auction site, bought it and shipped it here for around $210.

Thanks to TechiePilot who posted info on the 08U70-MGS-J51 change pedal kit in the Mods forum, I purchased one and installed it yesterday. I uploaded a three part video series to YouTube this afternoon:
Introduction: http://youtu.be/lo0CoE-dEls
Installation: http://youtu.be/gsiwLVHd3qE
Demo ride: http://youtu.be/MX8NoY-xGsQ

Bill

What great videos.... I have a manual but really enjoyed watching how easy going you explanations are to remove that section apart. Thanks so much for putting it together. Bravo.

This is the original post by TechiePilot http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/1168-dual-clutch-transmission-change-pedal-kit.html and his source was a Japanese company name Webike. The price from Webike was around $300. I bought mine through a Japanese intermediary company (Biddee) who bid on my behalf at an auction site, bought it and shipped it here for around $210.

Bill, Thanks for the information. I did an on-line search and found it in Japan like you mentioned.

I found a mention of it here on the Honda website.

I found pricing for the Change Pedal Kit Pricing here for about $178.

For anyone else that would like to know the approximate pricing and where to get it.

What do you mean by "REGISTER" the foot shifter?

It's Honda's word. It means you go through a simple procedure (described in the installation manual) letting the DCT computer know that there is a new device providing input. Another term would be a "handshake" between the shifter unit and the computer.

This is what I wrote in the Installation video description: "this link http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/TERMS010.aspx will get you to the Honda Genuine Accessories USERS GUIDE and INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS website where an English language manual can be downloaded. You must first log in, by reading and agreeing to the terms of use to the site and then identify yourself as either a Honda User or technician. Then you can proceed to the next page where you select the engine displacement range of the model you are interested in (401-750cc) , then the NC700X and last, the “ Dual Clutch Transmission SHIFT PEDAL” PDF document, which you can open or download."

It's Honda's word. It means you go through a simple procedure (described in the installation manual) letting the DCT computer know that there is a new device providing input. Another term would be a "handshake" between the shifter unit and the computer. "

That part is an overly complicated electrical switch designed to take the abuse of having a foot mashing down on it constantly. I am very sure it will last the lifetime of the bike. Basically it is a electrical switch with 3 electrical contacts with 3 positions.

I personally do not see the point of the foot shifter on a DCT, if you want to work a foot shifter. Why not go for the manual trans?

I like that my left foot has been liberated from working a foot shifter. I like having the control at my fingertips. I had and rode a 750 Hondamatic back in the 90's. The foot shifter was only there to put it into "LOW", "HI" and "NEUTRAL". It serviced no other purpose for any other time while riding.

Different strokes, for different folks!!!

Thanks for posting these videos, I just got my shift kit and my left hand doesn't work well enough to use paddle shifters. turn signals etc on left handlebar switch , and on steep downhills I'd like to manually downshift
Can you have it in sport mod than hit manual switch and use foot shifter while underway

Just install it today , but guess I didn't do the registration correctly , because Itook it on a short test ride and after a mile the PGM warning light came on, so I turned around and rode it home . Once I got home I turned the bike off and when I turn ignition key to on position the PGM light flashed 9 times paused than repeated the 9 flashes

Got the code fixed and cleared , It was the IAT sensor low voltage (what does IAT stand for ? ) but looking thru shop manual I found out it's the plug into top of airbox , so I pulled covers off and I guess I didn't snap it in all the way when I cleaned the K&N last week, So I reregistered the pedal shift kit and took it on 160 miles of technical bumpy twisties with lot of downhill turn entrances and it was way more controlled than in S mode, No upshifts going into tight turns :)) and you can have it in S or D mode and tap the shifter and it shifts or put it in manual and do all the shifting
Did hit the rev limiter a few times getting used to it and you don't have to wick the throttle to match rpm ( hard habit to break ) or jam the shift pedal. Took part of the ride just learning to be gentler on the shifter and smoother on the throttle , but got to bevel the outsides of my boots on lots of corners
I did have a brain fart and locked my frunk keys into it , so got to dig up old post that told you how to open Frunk with out the key and it worked :))

Back