• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hammock campers

I have not... at least so far... There always seems to be at least two trees that are 10-20 ft apart where I've setup camp...

I've seen pictures of people urban camping in parking lots hanging off of cart corals, or between a light post and a dumpster.

That being said, I still fear a time when I will find my self on the open prairie with no place to hang. (If I do ever make it up to the mountains, and rocky terrain I plan to carry some climbing nuts to hang from the rocks)

I know that it only takes two long sticks to turn my tarp into a floor less a-frame tent... and with the motorcycle acting as one support really only one stick, but I can't hang off the motorcycle (at least I don't trust the idea... and the angle I'd need to be at if it did fall over, it'd fall over on top of me...) I can even use the hammock as a ground cover/mosquito netting... but it won't be near as comfortable... everything else is basically the same, stay warm with a sleeping bag/quilt, and sleep on the ground.
But that's still on the ground... and the ground is really uncomfortable.

There are other options to keep you off the ground:
World lightest hammock stand - Handy Hammock
I've not gotten one yet, and I don't believe I can fit it into my luggage (even folded up) but it can get strapped to the bike and I'll be fine pretty much anywhere that I have enough space to set up up the stand...

also when you are building your hammock (straps, or whoopie slings, or whatever you use) you can check out this site:
Hammock Hang Calculator - The Ultimate Hang
To figure out who long your suspension needs to be... I started with how high I could possibly reach to get the straps around a tree, and then worked off of that to see how far apart the trees could be, and that used that distance minus the length of my hammock divided by 2 straps to get the length of each strap... and then added some margin of error. (for when I can reach higher because of how the terrain is laid out)

Which hammock do you use? I have been looking into this as well as a tent. I have been looking at the following hammock: Blackbird - WarBonnet

My only issue that is keeping me from getting a hammock is just what is being discussed here. I would hate to carry both as a "just in case" and because of that I have been leaning towards the tent instead.

Which hammock do you use? I have been looking into this as well as a tent. I have been looking at the following hammock: Blackbird - WarBonnet

My only issue that is keeping me from getting a hammock is just what is being discussed here. I would hate to carry both as a "just in case" and because of that I have been leaning towards the tent instead.

I have a warbonnet superfly, fine piece of equipment, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of their products based off of my one purchase (well two superflys, one for me and one for the wife).

I have a Yukon Outfitters camping hammock from woot.com I think it was like $10-$20, it's a bit short, but it has the bug screen on it.
I also have a pair (one for me, one for my wife) of ENO double nests, with home made sleeping tubes (sleeping bags that pull up over the outside of the hammock so you aren't compressing the insulation under your ***).
And I have one for the dog (home made, thick nylon, little guy loves it when we are camping it hangs up just below one of the ENO hammocks, he likes being right there by one of us.)

The woot hammock is a bit short for me (at 6'4" everything always seems short for me), the ENO hammocks have our home made insulation available (doesn't fit on the woot hammock) but no bug netting.... it's a bit of a trade off right now.

I believe the blackbird is asymmetrical, I've never used an asymmetrical hammock, I've read good things though.

Ultimately if I were to buy another hammock just for the motorcycle I'd be careful about spending extra for a lightweight hammock, the motorcycle doesn't care about a few ounce like a backpacker would.

Keep in mind that when you are buying a hammock, you are building a system, it isn't just the hammock.
You'll need suspension (my woot hammock had the suspension completely replaced, and the ENO got new carbineers to make them lighter)
You'll need a rain fly (I got the biggest I could find, the superfly from warbonnet, with the doors closed it's like being in an A frame tent with no floor)
You may need new insulation for sleeing (sleeping bags are difficult in hammocks, and your *** will get cold with air moving under all that compressed insulation, you can stick some padding (like the back armor from your riding jacket) under your *** to keep it warmer)
You may need mosquito netting (like the ENO hammocks where the mosquito netting is sold separate)

And you can mix and match all of these pieces. Your suspension might be some rope and some tree straps, or just the same straps all the way down, or whoopie slings (adjustable rope) or something completely different.
You might tie your hammock and tarp both off to the tree, or maybe your tarp hangs off the suspension lines you already have for your hammock, (I don't like the tarp getting loos when I stretch the suspension lines so I avoid this) you might put an underquilt on the bottom of your hammock and you might opt to use a foam pad between you and the hammock, You may get a top quilt, or a blanket, or a regular sleeping bag, you can get rainflys with doors and poles that pull them out wider, or you can get diamond shaped rain fly's that provide less protection but take up less space... You can stake into the ground, or plan to tie off to rocks, or use your luggage from the motorcycle to keep the lines weighted down...
Lots of options with a hammock setup and you can purchase only the parts you need (though be warned if over night lows are below 75F it gets cold in a hammock with out any insulation) but each piece is a decision on what will work best for you, so lots of choices need to be made to get a complete system.

Thanks for the hammock hang calculator link. Found out what I did wrong on my one attempt at hammock camping. I'll have to try it again now that I know better how to hang it. I have the woot Yukon hammock and Eno straps. Pack so small I just threw them in a bag incase I wanted to try it one night which I did. I tented the other nights. Found that I could use the footprint for my tent as a wind break. Not big enough for full rain protection but worked for wind.

After several years of tent camping and getting no sleep, I just purchased a war bonnet hammock with fly and bottom blanket. I'm hoping this will give these old bones some rest. I'm in the east, so we have plenty of trees, but I would like to go out west sometime. Like the rock climbing gear idea. However, There are always motels.

I've got a Hennessey hammock. Picked it as my first mainly because it's a complete system...hammock, fly, bug netting, and suspension. I used it for a couple years before I did any mods to it, which have only been to the suspension. As far as places to hang, I've never had an issue finding two trees, or at least something to hang from. I've even tied up in an old barn.

Hennessey, one of the best hammocks out there bar non, Google them probably the most used Hammocks worldwide by adventure travelers in all kinds of conditions. Be sure and get a pair of snake skins for storage and super fast setup takedown ,the system is slick, super dry with the built in rain fly and a no see um netting. Rolls up small in the snake skin and fits easy in a part of one of my Honda side cases. In cooler weather use a thin foam camp pad under u to keep your backside warm. I stay away from deserts and have never had a problem finding a place to hang out for a night.Kept my light two man tent in case some day I may need it but now I its covered in dust.Tents are better if u are in heavy rain for most of your trip mainly for storage of gear, but thats when I motel it anyway. Ride safe.

Back