• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Learning to camp with an NC700x

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to take some long cross country rides and just camp where there are camp grounds.
What's stopping me so far is that I have no experience with how this is done. So...

I bought the tent and the sleeping bag today, and next weekend, I plan to go to a known camp ground, close to home and see how it goes.

I figure I can just ride up to Lake Skinner, stop at the booth on the entrance road, and say "hi, what does it cost to camp here?"

It's the talking to people part I'm not especially fond of. I'm good at it once I get going, but it's not my first choice.

Here's the tent / sleeping bag combo I found ($50) see [HERE].
tentsbag.jpg
I thought these boards would be a good place to write down what happens and what I learn. I'll return to this thread and add to it over time. Could be fun.

Last edited:
Fellow campers and park rangers are usually a very friendly lot. Have no fear. And if you need help someone nearby would probably be eager to assist. Only problem I've ever had camping was in deserted parks mid week. Locals came by and stole some gear while we were out. Very rare, but unfortunately it happens.

Going the first time with an experienced moto-camper would be quite valuable

I would MUCH rather stay in a campground than a hotel.

If you haven't already, read OCR's recent motorcycle camping thread: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/bar/7977-tent-camping-motorcycle.html

As you get some experience you'll learn what to bring along and what not to. Good luck!

Last edited:
I love motorcycle camping. I love camping. A few more things to get you started... Tarp/footprint to go under the tent, protects the tent floor and adds a water barrier. Next, sleeping pad, Walmart or Kmart sell foam ones, the ground will suck heat out of you so fast no matter how good your bag is. You will sleep much better with those things and we all know a rested rider is a happy rider. Also practice tent setup more than once before you go. Figuring that out at the site in the dark is no fun. Good luck

5 years ago I was where you are. Did same thing of camping close to home for a couple test runs. Do set up and try everything at your home first. You don't have to be outgoimg to meet people at campgrounds. Others will approach you and most are helpful with knowledge and ideas.

Check for campgrounds that focus on motorcycles. Everyone there will be a rider.

Hey Strats! Good to see you venturing out! I hope you bring your tent and sleeping bag (and NC) out to see me at the North Rim Grand Canyon. I should be there on the 8th of June. I have one other guy going with me (not an NC'r , but a biker!)
We will be camping. Here's a couple of links for you - first one is for a pack-small, lightweight chair. I got it after seeing Fuzzy's in arkansas last year.
REI Flex Lite Chair - REI.com
Here's one where people sell their used gear-
Used Camping Gear & Discount Hiking Equipment | GearTrade.com

Back