• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Today's fun ride on Glympse

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Today's fun ride will be along highway 2, not 1, 2 this time!

the group glympse for this is [HERE].

Glympse interesting things.....
- you can set it to broadcast location ONLY when someone looks in (low power mode)
- you can create a group name like !strattuner
- you can cause the glympse to expire when you reach your destination.
that last bit may cause me to resend the glympse since I will have to pass through the
destination on my way out..... glympse will think I've arrived and cancel

please let me know if this works with a short post?

Here's the map.... (may take me as much as 1/2 hour to get on the road.)
2015-01-17 Weekend Eaglerock Ride.jpg

Very cool. Current location, speed and ETA to destination updated every couple of seconds. Rte 2 looks like a great road!

Yes, I've lived in this part of So. Cal my whole life and never been on it.
coming up to it from the other side of the Mt. (in from the high desert) didn't work. Highway 2 (Angeles crest Highway) is CLOSED.
Oh well... went round thorugh Cajon pass and back through Pasadena. (We're staying near where they do the Rose Parade).

Thanks for checking in... I wanted to see if "low power" mode updates folks in real time, and it does... very cool...

TOTALLY OFF TOPIC ALERT.

went round thorugh Cajon pass and back through Pasadena.

Being a Brit and having had a Dad who loved westerns, I was brought up on a diet of the old west.

What I read in your post sent me back to a 1970's Sunday afternoon on the sofa with my Dad watching some old 50's Western flick.

"We'll cut through Cajun pass and head em off at the creek" ;)

Obviously you didn't intend it, but thanks for that anyway. :)

No need to worry about remembering your Dad... My guess is he'd be glad you remembered him that way.
There are some rock formations in that pass, big as several city blocks, that show up in old westerns.
I think of them when I go by.

Also unrelated...
When M*A*S*H was on TV, they had a set for outdoor shots. Paramount Studios owned the land and called it "the ranch". Paramount later donated the ranch to the State. It's now a state park for hikers. If you hike a particular trail there, you will find a Korean era jeep (and other vehicles) rusting away there where the set was. It's odd to think that Malibu was just on the other side of the hills behind Hawkeye and Pierce all those years.

The park is off the 101 Freeway at the Los Virgenes exit... I haven't gone there yet, but it might make for a fun day-ride.
The link is [HERE]

Last edited:
even more un related...

other random sites:

- in the Tom Hanks movie "Saving Mr. Banks", the scenes at the air port exterior are shot at Ontario airport. (60 miles east of LA and my boyhood home town).
Mad Men also uses that airport a lot since it looks very 60's. The red brick walls give it away every time.

- The "Terminator" films that end with the molten steel plants shots were filmed (mostly) at Kaiser Steel, Fontana (near Ontario airport). Kaiser Steel later became Calif. Steel, but it was a real working steel mill for many years.

- the final church wedding scene in "The Graduate" is a small church in La Verne, CA, not too far from Ontario Airport.

- lastly, the Grape Vine scenes of Star Trek's TNG final episode "All good things" were filmed outdoors at Callaway Winery in beautiful Temecula, where I make my home today.

(my sincere apology for rambling on.... soo off topic for soooo long.)

Last edited:
Back