• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

is it possible to fit spoked wheels to this bike?

W

wildeone

just wonder, it would make a perfect bike for me.
I was thinking about taking a rear wheel from e.g. xt660z tenere or similar bike
but what with the front wheel? I have never seen spoked 17 inch but would be possible to fit 19 inches
and raise the fender?

Rally-Raid Products is in the process of making spoke rims with 19" front for the CB500x. I've asked them to see if they will also fit the NC. They replied that they may try that after they finish the CB500x project.

Here is a thread on the CB500x project. Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X - Page 17 - ADVrider

wow, looks great and since it's very similar bikes I bet it will fit the ncx as well.
They should take thicker rear tyre though.
thanks

As someone mentioned previously, the NC was built to a price point and once you start offering production line options, the price can only go up. It reminds me in a way of buying salt-free, packaged food but in that example, something is eliminated and they charge you extra!

BMW can offer a spoke wheel option on their GS models because you're paying premium money for that bike and astronomical prices for factory options! Yes, I too wish the NC had shaft drive but fully understand the much greater cost plus additional weight involved.

As far as I know, the Honda NT700V is still the only mid-sized bike with shaft drive and integrated saddlebags. It had a very high MSRP and as such was about a popular as polio but I still bought one and am happy with it after nearly 50K miles.

Last edited:
My first bike was the Deauville, they are quite popular over here for commuters and couriers.

I was once told that couriers took the naked NT650, Revere I think it as called, and added fairings, screens and panniers, Honda latched onto this and the Deauville was born, apparently.

My first bike was the Deauville, they are quite popular over here for commuters and couriers.

I was once told that couriers took the naked NT650, Revere I think it as called, and added fairings, screens and panniers, Honda latched onto this and the Deauville was born, apparently.

You right, here my former commuter, a 89 REVERE

Same engine as the XL700 Transalp, nice bikes, but for me only ever half a Pan European

[I was once told that couriers took the naked NT650, Revere I think it as called, and added fairings, screens and panniers, Honda latched onto this and the Deauville was born]

Don't know if that's an urban legend but it sounds plausible. The naked NT650 was called the Hawk 650GT in the states and was introduced around 1988-89, along with the Trans-Alp that used the same engine.

Yes, the Hawk and the Revere were the same bike with only one difference : chain for the Hawk and drive shaft for the Revere.
Engine was the one of the 650 Africa Twin except for UK where it was the one of the 600 Transalp (in fact same engine with 49 cc less, 598cc vs 647cc)

Coming back to spoked wheels, the ones of the XL600R doen't fit... LOL

When I first bought my NC there was a newTransalp for sale in the showroom ,I was very tempted,but it was more expensive plus had old tech so plumbed for the NC with no regrets. Regarding spooked wheels,I think they look better and are stronger,but do,nt you need to use tubed tyres!! and while spookes look good when clean ,they are the very devil to keep clean.Last comment....Shaft drive is great,but it has its disadvantages,I wonder if Honda would have been better fitting a belt drive system....

As someone said previously, it just takes money because special fabrication will be required to make the drive sprocket and brake discs align properly.

Last edited:
When I first bought my NC there was a newTransalp for sale in the showroom ,I was very tempted,but it was more expensive plus had old tech so plumbed for the NC with no regrets. Regarding spooked wheels,I think they look better and are stronger,but do,nt you need to use tubed tyres!! and while spookes look good when clean ,they are the very devil to keep clean.Last comment....Shaft drive is great,but it has its disadvantages,I wonder if Honda would have been better fitting a belt drive system....

man, that was mistake! I wish I had that option, transalp would be my choice without second thought. These bikes were like unbreakable, till now don't understand why honda stopped making them. The only explanation is simply transalp was too good...
Still thinking about buying used one but generally I prefer new.

man, that was mistake! I wish I had that option, transalp would be my choice without second thought. These bikes were like unbreakable, till now don't understand why honda stopped making them. The only explanation is simply transalp was too good...
Maybe a misstake in as far as its a rarer bike,,but for the riding I do the NC was the right bike for me..If I,m honest I,m not going round the world ,and really do,nt fancy taking these big bikes off road,I much prefare sub 250 singles for that..While I had the NC I was very pleased with it,,and now I have a BM 1200RT I,m over the moon....

I read one of the original reports (on some news site) stating why Honda stopped selling the Transalp-sales. Sales were way down and they were sitting in the show rooms. Riders in Europe were choosing/buying other bikes, such as lipsee in his post above.

Back