• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

anybody did longer travels on this bike already?

W

wildeone

hi,
I am wonder if somebody did some longer trips on this bike (or nc700x)
Both are rated as adventure bikes but don't see many videos on youtube
with anybody using in them that way. Mostly commute clips or light tours.
I am interested in reports from longer journeys how nc750x behaves during rides
for many hours and days on bad roads. Something like in this clip for instance.
I'm asking because I'd like to use my nc750x for some Africa trips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eodcTpbtEnA

The NC700X is first a street bike with about 5 1/2 inches of fork travel. A true duel sport has anywhere from 6 1/2 to 10 inches of fork travel. However, if you do not drive fast in the dirt the NC700X can handle slow dirt riding.

I do travel some but not on the back roads of Africa, but I wish I could travel Africa. I'm sure even Africa has more paved roads than in the 60's and 70's when I road a lot of dirt roads. However for a youtube look of the last two years on an NC700 -

Go to: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=adventures+of+nana+chou

Last edited:
Well, a group did the WABDR (thread here) over the summer...that would probably qualify. Also some Alaska threads in the touring/traveling section, or check out this one from 2brnut2b. I admit I just skimmed through the posted clip, but that looks like graded dirt road - my husband's had his cruiser on gnarlier stuff than that. Upgrade the suspension a bit and it would do fine even for longer mileage. If you're looking for the full "Long Way Down" experience though, the NC isn't really the right tool for the job.

Somewhere in this forum someone posted links to a very nicely reported trip (with many pics) of the NCX doing a VERY off road trip with several other riders on other Adventure bikes. The NCX held it's own, and did better than the better known Adventure bikes in the group. All of these bikes had been pretty heavily modded and accessorized as all serious Adventure bikes tend to be. Maybe someone will find and post a link?

Somewhere in this forum someone posted links to a very nicely reported trip (with many pics) of the NCX doing a VERY off road trip with several other riders on other Adventure bikes. The NCX held it's own, and did better than the better known Adventure bikes in the group. All of these bikes had been pretty heavily modded and accessorized as all serious Adventure bikes tend to be. Maybe someone will find and post a link?

Here is the Colorado off road adventure including an NC700: CannonTrek.CO - Bashing Big Bikes in the Backcountry of Colorado - ADVrider

very nice links, thanks! that's encouraging. Also looks like I have to change stock tyres for my plans.

Guy Martin is one of my all time heros, great 2 part documentary on UK TV about Guy riding through India on an air cooled, 500cc single Royal Enfield.

In the Long Way Round documentary, which demonstrated just how fragile, and generally useless the BMW GS1200 actually is the cameraman Claudio did very well on a basic Kawasaki.

It isn't the machinery, it is the rider and his brain.

The NC750 would need a little battle proofing for high speed, or severely rugged, off road, but in terms of reliability and capability she would be fine

I am living in Africa, Angola to be specific.

Last month I did a 3.000km journey inside the country all alone and it was amazing.
I got from perfect track style tarmac to offroad with hundreds of kilometers also with bad paved tarmac.

I am still with the original BT-023 tires and was aware of that limitation offroading, and got the bike protected with skid plate, radiator guard, engine crash bars and some anti puncture kits and a set of tools with me.

No issues at all during the tour, althogh a week after I noticed the fronk left suspension fork leaking a bit. It might be the result of a really heavy offroad stretch I did on one day (110km). That was really hard for the suspension - and my arms and legs - but was very VERY nice. 1.000km away from home, no cellphone network, all alone in the nature with the bike.

So back to the point mechanically you can trust her if you are aware of the limitations :D
forum.jpgforum 1.jpgforum 2.jpgforum 3.jpgforum.jpg

I am living in Africa, Angola to be specific.

Last month I did a 3.000km journey inside the country all alone and it was amazing.
I got from perfect track style tarmac to offroad with hundreds of kilometers also with bad paved tarmac.

I am still with the original BT-023 tires and was aware of that limitation offroading, and got the bike protected with skid plate, radiator guard, engine crash bars and some anti puncture kits and a set of tools with me.

No issues at all during the tour, althogh a week after I noticed the fronk left suspension fork leaking a bit. It might be the result of a really heavy offroad stretch I did on one day (110km). That was really hard for the suspension - and my arms and legs - but was very VERY nice. 1.000km away from home, no cellphone network, all alone in the nature with the bike.

So back to the point mechanically you can trust her if you are aware of the limitations :D
View attachment 22538View attachment 22539View attachment 22540View attachment 22541View attachment 22538

Hay Man, great trip and scenery! what kinda skid plate did you get? I'm planning soon also long trip on this bike but I'll be putting more offroad tyres, tkc80.
Di you take any spare parts? Riding alone is nice but can be challenging, what ten did you take?

Wildeone,

I did not took specific spares, the frunk was with tools, anti puncture kits (2) some water and snacks.
Top case with clothes and water
Improvised tank bag with the lowepro trekker camera bag, strapped it to the Givi Crashbars in tarmac and in my back when offroad.

Again, biggest limitation, more than the tires was front suspension it is really a budget one (or just not intended to go hard offroad) and I am trying to find a way to take it with me next time I go to Europe to upgrade it. Back Shock did ok.

Where are you planning to go in Africa?

Here is another review of the NC. Fair and while there is some bias against, the NC proved its point and did well against the bigger bikes.
https://rideapart.com/articles/rideapart-review-honda-nc700x

Also, we have to keep in mind Honda made this bike to be an affordable bike for all around riding. Kind of a "jack of all trades, master of none." The fact it will do light off-roading (medium, if properly modded) and still performs well on the street is great. It is obvious where Honda kept the costs down (front suspension, brakes, swing arm, chain) but if you upgrade all of that to what would be required for a true adv bike, you would be adding a few thousand dollars, thus taking the bike out of the reach of what appears to be the target audience; commuters and weekend riders.

Last edited:
Once you upgrade the front suspension you will notice the deficiencies in the rear shock. I’m actually glad Honda did a budget suspension keeping the entry cost low. If I had purchased a higher end bike I would more than likely still be upgrading the suspension so that it fit my riding. What’s the point in paying higher upfront cost for something I’m still going to change?

Great video. For trips like that, I think you're golden on the NC. I wouldn't expect any problems. I think it's when you get into the hardcore off-roading that the Honda would start to suffer.

I'm currently in the middle of Long Way Down. It is worth the time to watch it if you're considering a serious adventure in Africa. During the series, they show the various terrain that is in various parts of Africa as well as the other hazards you might face. After seeing both Long Way Round and Long Way Down, I would have no problem taking the big BMW anywhere. The only problem that I saw was the failure of a few overloaded rear shocks that probably wouldn't have given up on pavement. However, when you're whipping those big bikes through that kind of environment, you should probably expect a suspension issue. I know this little snippet has nothing to do with the NC, but if you're gathering information on African expeditions, it might be a good idea to check it out.

Also, we have to keep in mind Honda made this bike to be an affordable bike for all around riding. Kind of a "jack of all trades, master of none." The fact it will do light off-roading (medium, if properly modded) and still performs well on the street is great. It is obvious where Honda kept the costs down (front suspension, brakes, swing arm, chain) but if you upgrade all of that to what would be required for a true adv bike, you would be adding a few thousand dollars, thus taking the bike out of the reach of what appears to be the target audience; commuters and weekend riders.

what does it mean true adventure bike? I have seen new 1200GS with broken frame just after 2 months on the trip...

what does it mean true adventure bike? I have seen new 1200GS with broken frame just after 2 months on the trip...

Don't read into it more than was meant. Honda did not market this bike to directly compete with the 1200GS or large KTM's. It was marketed to people (like me) who want a solid motorcycle to commute with great mileage and for trips which may include light off-road jaunts. However, it is a very upgradeable bike, making it completely worthy of the full off-road capability of a "true" adventure bike. Keep in mind, it is a $9000 bike (DCT) and not a $25,000 bike. Doesnt mean we cant add to it or upgrade what would be needed to make the full off-road. I love my NC, and it will be in my garage for a VERY long time. I am planning on making the upgrades on the skid plate, crash bars, shocks, foot pegs for more aggressive riding, however that is further down the road. With only 900 miles on me and the bike, I have a long way to go before even I do any "true" adventure riding. But, being this new to it, all my riding is an adventure.

I believe the Africa-Twin is to be their "true" adventure bike.

Back