• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any need for waterproof gloves if...

Azimuth

Reaction score
Visit site
Just installed heated grips and barkbusters storm on the bike and next are new gloves. I would like a full 3 season + type glove but with the heat from the grips and protection of the barkbusters, I don't know if waterproof or much insulation will be needed. Here in western Montana only expect to ride in wet weather maybe 10-15 days per year but could still be miserable if wet with a 40 mile ride home on a 40 degree day. I won't be riding in sub-freezing temps unless completely dry out.

Thanks for advise,
Jason

Two sets of gloves is the answer. I have some summer gloves from cycle gear, short and vented. I just picked some nice Olympia waterproof insulated gloves from my dealer. Yes they are worth it! I have a very similar setup to you, heated grips and hand guards throw in these new gloves and I've been comfortable riding in the upper twenties. Spend money on good gloves mine were like $75. Hope that helps. Also I've had my summer gloves get very wet and soak through and dye my hands black.

I agree with two sets of gloves. Barkbusters or indeed any decent hand guards, will only keep the rain off your hands at a considerable speed.

Held makes some interesting two chamber gloves that allow you waterproof and insulated when you need it and a ventilated glove when you don't. They are VERY pricey. I honestly don't know anything about Held other than they are German and they make all of BMW's riding gear. The BMW version of this glove: Held Air N Dry Gloves - RevZilla was being touted by al the magazines about how great it was. Anyhow, like I said I don't know anything about Held. I don't get any Held or Revzilla kickbacks. LOL. Just thought it kind of sounded like what you need in one glove.

I have the Held Air n Dry. Good late spring, summer, early fall gloves. They dry chamber does flow some air so they only work down into the 50s for me.

I also have these nylon overmittens Nylon Overmitten | Gloves | Motoport | 105.931. $12, they roll up small so easy to carry in a pocket or keep them in the frunk. Wind and waterproof. I think they are a good option for the odd day that it does rain and I use them in cold. Aerostitch has a couple of overglove options that have fingers thought they are $47.

I swear I don't have a problem. :confused:

I hardly ever leave home without at least three pairs of gloves, sometimes four, lol... :eek:

-rain gloves always somewhere in bike just in case, if not actively being worn when I first leave.
-gauntlet gloves for highway/cooler weather dry riding.
-shorter cuff gloves for warmer weather/higher dexterity needs/off road/that change over in temps between a cool morning/warm mid day/cool evening.
-slightly heavier waterproof cold weather gauntlets.
-waterproof heated gloves.

Also, when I find gloves that I really like and I can afford to, I always try to buy two or three pairs, just in case the next generation of the design isn't as good, or they aren't made anymore. I'm down to my last pair of Shift Bullet gloves, they aren't made anymore, sob. :(

I have ridden enough over the years in surprise rainstorms, hotter than expected sweaty days, frozen fingers, not padded or armoured enough situations etc., to conclude I am more than willing to have a nice choice of gloves for every darned potential condition there is. :D

I'm inline with LBS on this. At least 3 pair on my bike. I should have bought several of my favorite though, but I snoozed.

I'm inline with LBS on this. At least 3 pair on my bike. I should have bought several of my favorite though, but I snoozed.
I'll carry at least 2 if not the three the others mention. Wearing Gerbing heated gloves helps a lot and cuts down one set. I can adjust them from no heat to full on. That gets me from the 50's down into the 20's. But I always carry two sets of gloves, and often a glove liner in case I'm wearing lightweight gloves and find the temps got colder than expected.

If you're serious about riding all year long, you'll find those days when it is cold outside, but the sun and traffic will have dried off the roads. Cold hands suck. If you're serious, you'll also ride in the rain. Cold and wet hands suck even more. Do it once, and you'll never want to do it again. (I think if I didn't ride in the rain in Seattle, I wouldn't ride. It rains here.)

If you use your bike for commuting, you can figure out quickly just how much you save in gas by comparing how many miles you ride with how much those same miles would cost you in gas for a car. Over the past 8 years, I've saved $11,000 in gas. That buys a lot of gloves.

Chris

I'm a three glove kinda guy too. I could get away with two but why. I like my hands to be as comfortable as possible. My heaviest set of gloves only get worn out of nessessity and only when it is really cold. Then I have a real light pair of gloves for the extreme summer months and they are not waterproof. The majority of the year I wear an intermediate set of gloves that provide waterproof protection. Handguards will not keep your hands dry and wet hands on an extended ride sucks.

In the cold or in the rain, I wear my leather, electric, heated, and waterproof Warm and Safe gloves. These keep my hands dry and warm.

On nice days I wear my Kevlar Cycleport gloves. These are custom made and fit perfect. If you go down your hands are the first part of your body to touch the ground. Never had even a scratch in all my encounters with the ground when wearing these gloves!

I have the Held Air n Dry. Good late spring, summer, early fall gloves. They dry chamber does flow some air so they only work down into the 50s for me.

I also have these nylon overmittens Nylon Overmitten | Gloves | Motoport | 105.931. $12, they roll up small so easy to carry in a pocket or keep them in the frunk. Wind and waterproof. I think they are a good option for the odd day that it does rain and I use them in cold. Aerostitch has a couple of overglove options that have fingers thought they are $47.

I have a pair of the three fingerd Aerostich over gloves. I got mine on closeout as they are bright orange with a long gauntlet. They work well. Large rubber gloves like those used for dishwashing over your regular glaoves don't work as your hands will sweat inside of them and be wet and cold.

I have a pair of BMW Pro winter Gortex gloves

72607712992-998.jpg

They are guaranteed waterproof for 2 years and are designed to work with heated grips. Rather than being thinner on the grip side of the hand as some gloves, they transmit the heat from the grips around the fingers. I was able to get them for 30% off during a fall sale, so they where only expensive, rather than stupid expensive. :rolleyes:

I spared no expense and am happy I bought the Held Twin Goretex 2 in 1 for my nightly commute and the Rev'it Jerez for sunny days. The Jerez have saved my hands already from a fall and the Held gloves are worth their weight in gold against the elements. Even though the Held are for winter riding they didn't keep my hands warm after 30 minutes of highway rifing at 50 degrees Fahrenheit. With the barkbusters I installed a couple of weeks ago I can make the trip much more comfortably but if I would have to go further or in colder weather I think I would need heated grips. In short I agree with what others have said and you should have a pair of cold weather gloves. I spoke to a rider at a rest stop recently and he said something true I've experienced myself; he had made the observation that on his trip to Alaska he didn't get wet while he was riding but only when he came to a stop did the rain penetrate.

Back