• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cleaning and Lubing Chain?

belrix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How often and with what should I be cleaning and lubing my chain? I ride almost daily and each trip to work includes 2 miles of gravel roads. My chain is looking pretty dirty.

I am a newbie! Forgive me if this is an obvious question.

Thanks

belrix

There are lots of different chain lubes and saying one is best would be similar to opening up the Synthetic Oil vs Mineral Oil firestorm. One thing is certain - never clean the chain with a power washer!

This is what I as well as many others in here use. I never clean mine (I have a gravel drive 300' long). I use the compression of the can and roll the chain once, let it sit a minute then roll it again with the can and lube blowing off what just got loosened up.

Dupont Teflon Chain-Saver - Compacc

I rarely if ever, clean a chain. I just lube it, and in most cases I have a chain oiler on my bikes. The constant feed from the oiler is sufficient to keep the rollers very clean. The only part that gets dirty therefore is the outside of the plates. Other than keeping the chain together the plates play no part in the movement of the chain on the sprockets. At best I will apply an old disposable rag to the plates occasionally. However I am reluctant to use anything other than oil on an O ring chain. You will get variations of answers to your question. However the above method has been successful for me over many years of chain drive bikes.

One other thing. I would not recommend the use of a stiff brush to clean your chain if you must do it. One or two folks on here have done so to the detriment of their chains, as stiff bristles can damage o rings.

As mentioned above, I use an oiler on my chains. On the NC I use a Tutoro oiler. It is an excellent product needing no vacuum or electronic take off. Its metering is superior to a Scottoiler that I use on one of my KTM's. It is a UK product easily found on the web.

I agree with Griff and itlives. Unfortunately, some motorcycle owners are under the impression that their motorcycle chains have to be immaculately clean. Cleaning improperly may cause damage to the O rings and/or cause leakage of the lubricant that the O rings seal in place. Years ago,(before O rings) aggressive cleaning was encouraged to remove all foreign materials from the chain. Back then chains were all steal, so harsh chemicals and steal or hard plastic brushes didn't harm them.

If and when a 0 ring chain gets dirty enough to effect performance or wear, then gently clean the chain using rags and a toothbrush. Some chain manufacturers suggest using kerosene, but You can also use products specifically made to clean o ring chains.

On another note. The best chain lubricant I have ever used is plain 90wt oil. Unfortunately, not only is it more difficult to apply to the chain then sprays; it also smells badly, and it's hard to get rid of the smell, if any of it gets on your clothing or body.

Thanks for all the replies I greatly appreciate them!

I'll run by the Honda dealer tomorrow to grab some O-ring safe chain lube. Good reason to make a 60 miles round trip!

brian

I have only heard great things said about that teflon lube. Have never seen it in real life up here in the boonies :rolleyes: but I might ferret it out one day, hopefully! :)

We all have our preference. Persnally I really like Motul Chain Lube. Sold at most Honda dealers. It adhears to the chain real well. It does not fling all over the place, much. I never clean my chain either but if I do I spray it down with WD-40 then wipe with a rag. I have always been told to apply the lube when the chain is real hot and this is a practice I have used for years. I lube my chain every other fuel tank.

+1 on the Motul chain lube. Most all chain lubes claim they won't fling off. In my limited experience so far since getting back to chains (I had shaft drives for over 25 years), Motul is one of the few that actually stays on the chain.

I have 2500 miles on the bike so far and have yet to lube the chain. It looks OK. The dealer may have at the 600 mile service but I'm not sure. It's hard enough to take the time to check the pressure on the tires and the oil level. I wanna GO!

I a little worried about getting too much lube on the chain since I ride gravel and the dust would stick to the chain worse.

Need to grab some kerosene to clean it.

Kerosene will cause the O or X rubber ring to rot a little early. However, the chain does not last but 20,000 miles know matter what you do! I spray DuPont Teflon I buy at Wal-Mart on the chain, then wipe it with a rag to clean it, then spray the chain again with the Dupont Teflon about every 500 miles. This is suppose to be done with a warm chain, but like I said, over the years I have found no matter what I do 20,000 miles is the point most chains wear out.....

Last edited:
I a little worried about getting too much lube on the chain since I ride gravel and the dust would stick to the chain worse.

Need to grab some kerosene to clean it.

With an o-ring chain, the importance in cleanliness of its exterior is mostly cosmetic. The pins are lubed internally and supposedly sealed by the o-rings. If cleanliness is important to you, I think the DuPont Teflon lube attracts less dirt than other lubes, so you might want to go that route.

This is what I as well as many others in here use. I never clean mine (I have a gravel drive 300' long). I use the compression of the can and roll the chain once, let it sit a minute then roll it again with the can and lube blowing off what just got loosened up.

Dupont Teflon Chain-Saver - Compacc

Ditto on the ChainSaver.

I apply the Dupont Chain Saver because it doesn't damage chains x/o rings (little bits of rubber inside the chain hinges).
I like to do a quick apply every other fill up.
Some go as long as 1000 miles between application.

From what I read online, lube is not as important as it once was...before the advent of the rubber o/x rings inside the chain. Once those wear out, the links will start to bind, and then it really doesn't matter how much you lube it...and it's time for a new chain. (about every 16K for me). Some lube is good but not any that damages the o/x rings.

I know that's not scientific, but there it is...

I used the DuPont Chainsaver lubricant for a long time. First year of owning the NC700x.

Then I saw a Ducati with this cool looking blueish white chain, and I asked him what lube he used, and told me Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube. He said it was the only one he used to keep his Ducati looking clean, absolutely no fling off, and the chain is visually able to see when you need to relube!

So I now use: Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube

Very cool, Usually I get about 500 miles before I notice the color fading, and re-apply. I can attest, it does not attract dirt and does not fling off.

Both the DuPont and Bel-Ray solutions are fantastic.

And what about recommended by Honda for NC700 Pro Honda Chain Lube With Moly. Does anybody have any experience with it?

View attachment 21672

I’ve found this very poetic review and I think I’m going to try it.:p

"This review is from: Pro Honda Chain Lube With Moly 11 oz.
When I race, I'm serious. I can't be carrying any dirt on my boots, or my motorcycle, as those extra grams could be the difference between first and second place. That's why I chose this chain lube. It has a certain magical property that actually helps to adjust my ballistic trajectory when I'm hitting the 80 and 90 foot jumps. I could come into a 90 foot gap jump in first gear, and this chain lube will adjust my bike to the perfect speed to clear the jump, and it'll torque the bike into a perfect Bubba Scrub almost 1 foot over the tabletops, so I can pull you my hand sized broom and clean off the excess dirt from my bike while the bike flies like a magic carpet.

And, for water repelling features, Moses would have been proud, it parts the Red Sea, The Black Sea, The Sea of Cortez, and mud puddles HIDE from this chain lube, just by the mere smell of it, they disappear when I ride toward them, and automatically roost the hell out of the people behind me for almost 1/2 mile. It's just amazing. Who would have thought $7 could do so much for your motorcycle? But, you can use it other places too, like the bedroom, if you know what I mean. Like a Boss!

I know by sharing this review, I'm letting the secret out, and more of you will be standing on the podium in first place because of this lube. I know, I should have kept this secret to myself, but my house is completely full of trophies and frankly it's just too darned easy to win these days, I need some competition out there."

:cool::cool::cool:

Back