• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The Champers Test Ride 2014 Honda NC750XA

I honestly think that some of the testers who make mention of "lack of soul" and so on, if they could just snag a ride on a bike that's had an aftermarket muffler installed, I'm positive they would change their minds.

I know that isn't going to happen (or be extremely unlikely) on any official sanctioned test reviews, but it's a shame that they will potentially never ride another NCX than what they first try, and probably influence a great number of people into following along with the stereotypes of "sewing machine" and so on.

It makes a *huge* difference in the perception of the bike, when it has a snarly Ducati-like VTwin boom to it.

That was a very good review, thanks for providing the link.

However, and it's been written before about the NC range, I really don't get his comment in dislikes which said:

"Lack of soul - there is not much personality to fall in love with here, but strangely I didn't mind at all, so made do with falling in lust."

When you have a 'pimped' NCX like mine, including a can which brings out the glorious V twin sound over 3.5k revs, I'd say it has plenty of soul.

But then I'm biased of course, despite previously owning numerous three figure and high two figure bhp bikes. He graciously acknowledges that this sort of power is not the be all and end all of motorcycling, which is good. I also agree that the NC (750) sure is no slouch when you want, or need, to get a move on.

That was a very good review, thanks for providing the link.

However, and it's been written before about the NC range, I really don't get his comment in dislikes which said:

"Lack of soul - there is not much personality to fall in love with here, but strangely I didn't mind at all, so made do with falling in lust."

When you have a 'pimped' NCX like mine, including a can which brings out the glorious V twin sound over 3.5k revs, I'd say it has plenty of soul.

But then I'm biased of course, despite previously owning numerous three figure and high two figure bhp bikes. He graciously acknowledges that this sort of power is not the be all and end all of motorcycling, which is good. I also agree that the NC (750) sure is no slouch when you want, or need, to get a move on.

When they start writing up about a bike like a Panigale, (with a suspiciously free flowing exhaust right from the factory), much fanfare is made about how glorious it sounds. Obviously such a beast needs no other help when it comes to the tester's/public's inherent assumption that the bike has an abundance of "soul", but is very much made apparent and expounded upon.

When a different Ducati or say, some variant of a KTM etc., is ridden, that may happen to have a much more muted decibel level, they bemoan the fact that the wonderful "soulful" sound is lacking, but obviously don't continue that theme, to include the bike lacking such a quality. No, they just talk matter-of-factly about how it's only a nice Akrapovic or Termignoni away from perfect bliss, and how it should be.

Yet when they test a Japanese bike, especially one in which they are obviously predisposed to dismiss or are already planning out their story byline with phrases like: "sewing machine" and "lacking character", it's almost as if they desperately cling to the appellations, and drub that tired concept into submission, as one of the top ten motojourno holy tenants that must be adhered to.

Just once, I'd find it refreshing for one of them to slip on an aftermarket muffler to a "sewing machine", and eat their words.

Very good article. This fellow did really ride the bike, yes even in the dirt. I agree with his statement:

"Turning radius - this is my only serious complaint. There were a few times while off road where I was maneuvering through tricky terrain at low speeds and bumping up against the turn stops caused me to nearly lose control. It only happened once or twice, but I felt quite disconcerted by that surprise".

You have to ride the NC700 fairly hard in the dirt before you fell this problem, but it is there. I agree it is quite a surprise when you nearly lose control.

In a similar vein as the choir director telling the choir they are going flat. When, pray tell did a choir ever get accused of finishing a piece UP a half step? I agree, there seems to be a set of words in motorcycle journalism that have to be used to convey a lack of sensory impact. Or noise, as it is known in some circles.

I read the article and he says: Once I accidentally turned off the ABS, and enjoyed some delightful rear skids. However, I could not work out how to off it on purpose. ...anyone have any idea of the accidental turn off trick ??? Would also enjoy some delightful rear skids...;)

I read the article and he says: Once I accidentally turned off the ABS, and enjoyed some delightful rear skids. However, I could not work out how to off it on purpose. ...anyone have any idea of the accidental turn off trick ??? Would also enjoy some delightful rear skids...;)

There was someone saying, I forget where, but you can use a centerstand and spin the rear tire to 20mph, then slow down to 0. At this point the ABS light should be blinking and the ABS would be removed while it was blinking and until it was shut off. Sounds dangerous to me and I don't have a centerstand so hopefully they'll have a kit sometime.

Back