• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Poll: For the DIY Valve Clearance Folks - Were any adjustments needed?

# of Adjustments on Your First Valve Clearance Check

• No Adjustment Needed

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • 1 - 2 Minor Adjustments

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • 3+ Adjustments

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

TrackCage

Reaction score
Visit site
Before year end, I will be checking the valve clearance on my NC. Got me curious - how many of you guys actually needed an adjustment at your first valve clearance check?

EDIT: Please only vote if you have actually done this process, as to not skew the results.

Last edited:
My adjustment was readjusting one that had been used as a test valve the night before (the first time I had ever been involved in checking valves-thanks to my Bloomington buddy). The night before and the motor had only been shut off for 2 hours, we broke it down and he showed me on one of the valves how to adjust it, how the 'feel' should feel. The next morning, all the valves were basically right on, except the test valve, it was still in but adjusted to the middle spec.

Twice now. Once at 8k and then at 16. All were within specs both times but I put them back in the middle. I can't say if they would of been in spec the second time if I didn't do the 8k one, but the third time probably won't happen for another 12-16,000 miles.

Twice now. Once at 8k and then at 16. All were within specs both times but I put them back in the middle. I can't say if they would of been in spec the second time if I didn't do the 8k one, but the third time probably won't happen for another 12-16,000 miles.

+1 -- I don't think any of the 3 times I've checked they were actually out of spec, but I nudged them to the middle of spec just because I was there.

trey

I've ridden Honda's for over 20 years, and I like dealer servicing for anything other that oil, filters and brakes.

The NC has 8000 mile service intervals, the valve check is at 3rd service.

Why are you guys pulling the covers off with such low mileage?

In any event Honda mechanics have always told me they do not know why they bother, it is so rare for any adjustment to be requited.

The NC has 8000 mile service intervals, the valve check is at 3rd service.

2012 and 2013 NC700X maintenance schedule calls for valve check every 8000 miles. These folks are just following the schedule. Some are learning now, perhaps as Honda did, that the interval can be expanded in the future.

Poll needs another choice: I don't remember.

Adjustment of valves is not that often. Loose will clatter, you will hear them. Too tight can cause a valve job. So, you have to check as service manual says.

My NC700X records show I adjusted 2 valves at the second check at around 14,000 miles (2,000 miles early but I was leaving on a trip that was close to 4,000 miles) and two more at the third valve check 8,000 miles later. I think I adjusted some of the valves to the center or high side of tolerance at the first check. These were not out of Honda's specification but were at the limit. Unfortunately I did not record which valves these were.

Both my exhaust valves were a little tighter than right in the middle. Being anal, I put them right in the middle of specs.

In any event Honda mechanics have always told me they do not know why they bother, it is so rare for any adjustment to be requited.

As the OP, I can only speak to my own experiences/planned maintenance.... I skipped the 8k mile valve check and will be doing my first one at 16k miles. As you stated, and others as well, the valves don't appear to be moving much. Also, FWIW, my valves still have a bit of chatter indicating they are on the loose side of spec, not tight. But being that I skipped the 8k mile interval it is time for me to check at 16k mile.

This thread had me doubting my Honda Wisdom, so I have just checked, NC750X 1st valve clearance check is at 3rd service, 16000 miles.

Judging by the comments here that on early inspection all is well within tolerance I'll leave till schedule unless I hear or feel anything amiss.

I remember having the valve clearance checked on my first Pan European at 24000, right on the money.

This said I still change my engine oil and filter oil every 3000 miles and clean the chain and wax every 600.

This thread had me doubting my Honda Wisdom, so I have just checked, NC750X 1st valve clearance check is at 3rd service, 16000 miles.

Judging by the comments here that on early inspection all is well within tolerance I'll leave till schedule unless I hear or feel anything amiss.

I remember having the valve clearance checked on my first Pan European at 24000, right on the money.

This said I still change my engine oil and filter oil every 3000 miles and clean the chain and wax every 600.

I'm at a bit of a loss with really understanding your posts, Tim?

You said: "why are you guys doing it early" (paraphrasing) when they were not doing it early, simply going by what Honda said to do @ 8,000 miles for the 2012 models.

Then you repeat with: "...that on early inspection all is well within tolerance (so) I'll leave (mine) till scheduled..."

What does anything so far posted, have to do with you doubting your Honda wisdom, requiring you to check your manual again? The posters checking at 8K were doing it on schedule, just like you'd be doing yours on schedule, at the new figure of 16K intervals.

:confused: Had you originally thought everyone doing it at 8,000 was doing it too early because you had thought it was supposed to be 16,000 miles? That makes perfect sense, given that yours is at 16K, but the trouble I am having, is that prior to your latest post, people already replied to you about the 8K versus 16K model year intervals, and why they were doing it-on schedule or later even, none of them early.

and IMHO 3,000 mile oil changes are waaaay too frequent for this bike. Honda thinks so too. Why would you adhere to their valve intervals, but not their oil intervals?

Just curious, is all. No poking at you implied or meant. :)

I posted that doing at 8000 miles was too early because doing at 8000 miles seemed, to be frank, bonkers.

However, it seems my assessment was at odds with the father bizarre 2012 NC700 service manual which, I agree having googled it, states 8000.

Still find it hard to credit, and I have to say that if I had purchased that model I'd have assumed a typo, because it makes no sense at all.

Nor does adjusting the clearance if it is within tollerance after the engine has been run in.

Every motor is unique, and the valve clearance differences at the top of the engine wil reflect the wear at run in deeper down.

As for engine oil, it's cheap, easy to change, and clean oil will by far extend the life of the motor and gearbox. I run two up for almost all of the miles on my bikes, and travel for much of that distance on English and European motorways at speed, the oil, in my experience, breaks down far more quickly in those conditions.

But more importantly taking the time to change the fluids gives me the chance to spend time with the bike on the stands cleaning and lubricating all of the moving parts, cables, fasteners etc. it is an excuse to show care.

Perhaps early valve clearance checks are no bad thing if the reason is to learn how to lavish some tender spanner attention on the machine.

Honda may soon find that 8000 mile oil changes were overkill. I'm guessing Honda is being conservative on that.

The future schedule might be oil and filter at 16,000 miles. I wouldn't be surprised. I read where even now the oil change interval can go as high as 15,000 miles in some cars (Jaguars).

Last edited:
Honda may soon find that 8000 mile oil changes were overkill. I'm guessing Honda is being conservative on that.

The new schedule might be oil and filter at 16,000 miles. I wouldn't be surprised.
Sheardown of oil viscosity is the problem with extended oil change intervals. If the transmission didn't share the engine oil I'm sure the OCI could be longer than 8K but as it isn't, 8K is as long as Honda is going to allow.

Sheardown of oil viscosity is the problem with extended oil change intervals. If the transmission didn't share the engine oil I'm sure the OCI could be longer than 8K but as it isn't, 8K is as long as Honda is going to allow.

My '77 Suzuki GS called for changes at 1500 miles. It had a shared transmission, too, and we might have made that same statement back then. Look how far we've come. We're now over five times that. It just a matter of time 'til the 8000 doubles.

Last edited:
Back