• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

May/June 2015 Grand Canyon Trip

itlives

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planning to go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon next year ('15) in late may or first of June. I know this is not too much notice for a trip like that for some of us. For me , it's originating from Shreveport. Louisiana. All bikes welcome.

More information will be coming as the plans gel. I've already mapped two routes. One route (if no one else is coming) would put me trying the SS1000 on the first day. Then, taking it easy the rest of the trip with 300'ish mile days. I would like to camp at least a couple of days at the canyon. Motels are always welcome at the end of a long day but I will be ready to camp wherever I am.

This is just to see if there might be any interest. Starting points for others don't matter to me, we can always meet somewhere along the way. Or, even people like Stratuner could come from the west and meet up!

The Canyon is very hot in May and June. Heat would cause me to move the trip up to March or April if camping. North canyon does have a lot more activities than South canyon.

Last edited:
The north rim is not hot. They don't open Tiyo Rd. until mid May.
From Grand canyon.com/weather
The North Rim is open for the summer, and sees about one-fifth of the annual visitors of the South Rim, so don't miss out on seeing what some argue are even more spectacular views of the Grand Canyon. Average summer temperatures at the North Rim are: May high 62 / low 34; June high 73 / low 40; July high 77 / low 46; August high 75 / low 45; September high 69 / low 39.

The Canyon's north rim is very nice in May and June. It would cause me to move the trip up to March or April if the road were open. North canyon does see 1/5 of the people than South canyon.

There, I fixed it!

Been checking this out for a while, OCR!

The Canyon is very hot in May and June. Heat would cause me to move the trip up to March or April if camping. North canyon does have a lot more activities than South canyon.
I spent a few days on the north rim in June. It is not hot. It is 8,500' elevation. Much more beautiful than south rim and since it is not as convenient to get to, it is not crowded.

You feeling adventurous enough to check out Toroweap?
You betcha! I've been looking at the gravel roads leading out from North Rim visitor center. Didn't see that yet. Thanks for the heads up. It could mean putting the trip into mid-June if there's snow. While I've camped in the snow, it does leave a lot to be desired! As the time draws nigh, I'll be keeping a close eye out on the weather.
Thanks again Chestnut!

I wish you as much fun as I has Itlives ! Man you're gonna love it. For me (I'm from the North) it's been an incredibly fun two weeks ride with a permanent big smile even when I was sleeping. The Nationals Parks are absolutely fabulous around there. The trip of a lifetime for me...

If you need some GPS traces of the roads we rode, just pm me and I'll send it to you.
Martin

Thank 2B. I even have time to figure out how to use them. I've had a Garmin E-trex for years from when I used to geocache.
It just always seemed very convoluted in how you have to load points and way points. I'm sure there's an easier way but I'm not there yet.

Do you use Garmin basecamp ? It the way to go...only one thing, if your gps is too old, maybe you'll be limited because the tracks contain a lot of waypoint and your gps can't handle it...sorry about that... at least you can view them in basecamp and maybe remove waypoints ?

I think I have a limit of 500 way points in mine. I am really out of the loop with electronically trying to get somewhere - an age and socioeconomically (is that even a word?) related thing.
I like maps.

Sure, anything I can get to look at at this point is great. I have time to figure a plan as long as I don't get into that "I have time" mentality for too long. Like I did as a kid when I had a school project to do and waited till the last weekend to do it.

Sure, anything I can get to look at at this point is great. I have time to figure a plan as long as I don't get into that "I have time" mentality for too long. Like I did as a kid when I had a school project to do and waited till the last weekend to do it.

Aren't we all like that ?
:confused:

Good word, Marc. I would not have used it because I would have misspelled it. Did I just mispel misspeled? LOL!

Hi itlives, I found a solution to your ''gps limited to 500 waypoints'' go to: Gpx2kml.com: convert gpx to kml online. It's free, simple and fast
From there, you can convert the gpx files I sent with or without waypoints, tracks or routes.
You can also convert them in .KML and open them in google maps or google earth.
It's a very simple solution.

Martin

I'm looking for a trip, keep me posted. Coming from Pa, so probably meet you there. Send private msg anytime you like. Rode with Old Can Ride last year to Overland Expo in Az, met up with him in Palo Duro Canyon Tx.

Back