• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First Cold Ride of November

gharshman

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Autumn starts later in Alabama. This year it started on the first of November. This was really the first cold morning that we've had this season. The day started at six when the alarm sounded on my overly eager phone. I barely remember shuffling into the bathroom and starting my shower, trying to keep the noise down to avoid waking my better half. Grooming has not been a priority this week, so I take a little extra time shaving. Before long, I'm enjoying my cold coffee, made the night before with a dash of almond and Irish cream flavorings. I think to myself that I am The Nutty Irishman.

2014-11MillzRide18_zps48be2550.jpg

Making my way south to Pell City, the sky was covered in clouds, but I knew that they would not stay too long. It's too cold and too windy, and a high pressure cell is pushing towards us. We are gathering a few people to have a final street ride with our friend Jared who is moving to Idaho soon. We are also trying to get Scott out of his house for the day, so that his family can prepare a surprise birthday party for him. It was a Dual Purpose ride.

We all met in the Jack's parking lot. After the requisite ribbing and jocularity, we headed north to Ashville. Today was the first time since last winter that I had even glanced at my heated gear. When I grabbed it from the shelf, it never occurred to me that the pigtail connection was wrong. My bike has a charging pigtail installed, with the standard bullet connector. I thought that my heated gear used the same connector. I was wrong....it has eye connectors! And it was time to roll, so no time to "rig" it. My fingers were COLD on that first twenty miles! Luckily for me, Kyle was late in arriving. We stopped in Ashville to wait for Kyle, and it gave me a chance to rig my heated gear. Thank goodness for Mulley and his black electrical tape!

By the time Kyle arrived and we started riding again, my digits were warm. We headed southwest toward Springville, then over to Crawford Cove Rd, and up through Walker Gap. Think switchbacks, with lots of gravel, bumps, and potholes! Still, it is a fun little road with great views. We stopped to enjoy the scenery, shoot some more bull, smoke some cigarettes, and take some pictures. As Mulley noted when we were all standing together, "Grey is the new black!"

2014-11MillzRide3_zps06a18a23.jpg

2014-11MillzRide1_zps4782481c.jpg

From Walker Gap, we headed along Sand Mountain to 231 and dropped down the mountain to Gallant Road. We passed Horse Pens 40 and Camp Sumatanga, and then cut left through Tumlin Gap. Think switchbacks, but with brand new, pristine pavement! We passed near Altoona, then caught 278 into Attalla and Gadsden.

Scott had picked a great place for the lunch stop, The Coffee Well in Gadsden. It is located on a brick-lined street close to the Back Forty Beer Company in historic downtown Gadsden. We were fortunate to find parking immediately in front of the coffee shop. The place was full of women, and they were all friendly. The flirting began before we had even finished parking the bikes!

2014-11MillzRide4_zps32cb4fb9.jpg

2014-11MillzRide5_zps16ffb2de.jpg

2014-11MillzRide9_zps52f50d77.jpg

2014-11MillzRide10_zps6a7b1578.jpg

2014-11MillzRide11_zps7880a5ab.jpg

2014-11MillzRide12_zps09255c5c.jpg

2014-11MillzRide13_zpsa287f6c1.jpg

We took our time at The Coffee Well. The place was really nice inside, with wooden floors and brick walls adorned with paintings by local artists. Somebody joked that we should not be there, as we did not have a single BMW GS among our group. But one glance at the menu told us that this was not just a coffee shop. They had cold and hot sandwiches, paninis, soups, salads, and desserts too!

2014-11MillzRide15_zpsb5912074.jpg

2014-11MillzRide6_zps3520c9cd.jpg

2014-11MillzRide7_zpsec041f40.jpg

2014-11MillzRide16_zpsfb2a6048.jpg

2014-11MillzRide19_zps25c28c3d.jpg

The sandwiches and paninis were spectacular. Not too big or too small, but the flavor was amazing. After eating the main course, several of us were anxious to see if the desserts were also good. Scott, Kevin and I went back to the counter to see what they had today. I asked for coconut cake, Kevin had the apple pie, and Darrin got the strawberry cake. Jared opted for coconut cake also. I have never in my life been served such a large piece of cake in a restaurant. Holy sugar rush, Batman!

coco_zps9867cac3.jpg

While we were looking at the desserts, some others at the table noticed that Scott had left his phone unattended. A quick check revealed no security on the phone. Hmmmm, what to do? Let's just say that Scott will probably increase his phone security soon! We all had a good laugh over that (still without Scott's knowledge), and started getting ready to go riding again. But first, another smoke break....

2014-11MillzRide17_zpsfa68f1c2.jpg

After lunch we had braved some more cold and some more curvy roads as we made our way through Ragland, near Neely Dam, and back into Pell City. We were a little early, so Jared started getting creative with the delay tactics. Why else would anybody want to go into Wal-Mart to use the restroom?

All in all, it was a wonderful day to ride. I don't know how many miles we rode, but we enjoyed some spectacular roads, some panoramic views, and enough laughs to rupture a normal person's spleen. We headed over to Scott's house for a surprise birthday party, gave him some gag gifts, drank some beer and liquor, ate some more good food, and continued laughing and trying to rupture other organs. As I headed home that evening, I tried to think of what word captured the day best. That word is "thankful".

Thankful that I have a motorcycle.
Thankful that I have good gear.
Thankful that I did not leave my cell phone unattended.
But mostly, thankful that I have good friends.

millzgapz_zps350baad1.png

I had no idea where you were until you mentioned Gadsen. That was my first stop on the way to the Dragon in May. I didn't see the downtown as I'd gone 500+ miles that day. Just got a motel room and crashed (after a near to the interstate dinner).

Looks like you had a great time! Glad you made it home safe.

Nice area, made me remember back in 2007, I did a 2000 mile bike trip on a Suzuki gz250 from Indiana to Florida and back; came back up US 231 thru Alabama, but it was HOT!!! Temp read 107'F on the bank in Huntsville.

Back