• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Quick (simple question) about a Valve Clearance Check

Ponyperformance8

Reaction score
Visit site
I drained the oil today with plans to go and retrieve some oil from the dealership tomorrow and then got started on my valve clearance check... but now I'm wondering before i turn the crank if oil needs to be filled back to proper level. I imagine so, but thought i would check here first.

Id appreciate your insight.

Thanks,

Will

You can turn the crank by hand without an oil filled crankcase. The metal parts will still have sufficient oil coating. Turning it slowly by hand would probably not be enough for the oil pump to pump any oil anyway. However, do not start the engine!

The oil level would not affect the valve adjustment.

Yes, but i would add, if you drained the oil warm, you'd want to wait overnight anyway. You want to check clearances with a close to room temperature, evenly cooled engine.

With most of my bikes, you have to drain the oil before a valve check, otherwise oil pours out of various access plugs and inspection covers.

With most of my bikes, you have to drain the oil before a valve check, otherwise oil pours out of various access plugs and inspection covers.

Mine didn't when I did my valve checks with no draining of the oil. Did let the bike set for a couple of hours after riding before I took off the valve covers though and did the valve checks the next morning.

Mine didn't when I did my valve checks with no draining of the oil. Did let the bike set for a couple of hours after riding before I took off the valve covers though and did the valve checks the next morning.

That's good to know when the time comes, if I get low on funds for an oil change at the same time I do a valve check. :)

Back