• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thoughts on Firstgear's Kathmandu Jacket and Pants?

belrix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in need of some riding gear and motorcycle shops in my neck of the woods only carry leather jackets. :confused:

I've been looking at Firstgear's Kathmandu jacket and pants as a 4-season solution. Does anyone have any feed back on the gear? I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam and 250 pounds.

Thanks a million!

belrix

I own this suit and I have had it for 1.5 years.

The things I like:

Protection - very conformable and flexible. I have not had to put the D30 pads to use but I still feel safe. Suit material is very heavy duty too.

Good down to 20F - I live in Arkansas so we don't see temps under 20F very often. I wore the suit all winter and I was plenty good down to 20F. I installed the liner in the jacket but did not install the liner in the pants. My knees may have gotten a little chilly but not bad at all and I could have always installed the liner but did not feel the need.

Good in heavy rains - I ride year round in all conditions. I don't even own a car right now so I have to ride in thunder storms and the like. I have only gotten wet one time and that was around my neck. The crotch area has not seemed to leak either. Keep in mind, my transit to work is only 30 minutes and my longest stretch in rain has been about a hour.

Ventilation - the suit has four zipper pouches for ventilation. They work well but the suit will start getting a little too hot around 75 degrees. In my opinion it is more of the winter suit.

Pockets - lots of pockets and most are in very convenient places. There is even a pockets specific for a cell phone.

Pants pocket - I made this a separate comment because it is a feature I like. The front pocket is Velcro shut and has a zipper which will allow you to get to your front pants pocket. There have been a couple occasions I needed change for something so that comes in handy.

The things I don't like:

Velcro - the Velcro is going to need to be changed soon. I felt like it wore out to quickly. The Velcro on the sleeves seems to want to catch on the other pile Velcro strips on the suit. A pain only when pulling the suit out of storage.

Sizing - my suit fits well but not perfect. You can't expect it to fit like a glove. You are only pay $800 for a full suit so don't expect it to be an aerostich.

Suspenders - they seem to loosen on their own over time. As in a week or more. They will loosen up and you'll have to cinch them back down. Not a big deal.

Neck - it might take a minute to get used to the neck fastener. No issues just need to find the sweet spot. It is adjustable.

Thanks for taking the time to post such a in depth reply!

It is between the Kathmandu and the Olympic Dakar.

belrix

I had looked at the suit and read a lot of reviews. I've not seen it in person. From what I ready the hard armor is a complaint and many wish it had the D30. I'm not sure how well it will do in temps below 45F. If you end up with that suit be sure to give everyone your thoughts after a couple months of use.

I also have the Olympia AST2 jacket. I love it. It is easily the best jacket I've owned. With that said, I'd also look at the Bilt Explorer line. My thought is to look at a high end jacket and look to see what you like and don't like. Then look at the Bilt Explorer jackets and see if they are that far off. It might be that you find a jacket you like without paying a premium price.

Chris

My experience is that Bilt gear is poorly made, especially the seams. The good thing is that Cycle Gear will exchange it, no questions asked, for the rest of your life.

Sedici is also good, its Cycle gears slightly higher end brand, bilt does not have lifetime warranty, only 5 year. Sedici does however have a lifetime warranty and has much better wear resistance.

Well I checked the Bilt gear out and it didn't work for me but I am trying out a Bilt Spirit full face helmet they had on clearance.

I went with a Firstgear Jaunt T2 jacket and the Firstgear HT Overpants shell from Revzilla and so far I really like them!

Thanks for all the replies and advise.

belrix

Well I checked the Bilt gear out and it didn't work for me but I am trying out a Bilt Spirit full face helmet they had on clearance.

I went with a Firstgear Jaunt T2 jacket and the Firstgear HT Overpants shell from Revzilla and so far I really like them!

Thanks for all the replies and advise.

belrix

Sorry I can't comment on the Jaunt Jacket/HTpants, but overall I have been very pleased with the quality and relatively cheap purchase price of my Firstgear Kenya jacket. I think I've had it about 3 or so years, now.

There are a few things I would change if I could, but I guess that's so with most of my stuff, lol.

I see both 3 season jackets out there and 4 season jackets.

What is better to get?

Does the 4 season jackets cool a person down enough in the Summer months?

Thanks.

God bless!!

Michael

I see both 3 season jackets out there and 4 season jackets.

What is better to get?

Does the 4 season jackets cool a person down enough in the Summer months?

Thanks.

God bless!!

Michael

First off, I live in Arkansas which I'm sure has a slightly hotter summer than you in PA. This will allow you to handle a heavier jacket longer that what I can handle in 100 degree days with 90 percent humidity. You have that in your favor. You also have a more severe winter which is will require a suit that can handle very low temps if you plant to ride during that season. Or you could buy heated gear.
I have a Firstgear Kathmandu suit. It is supposedly a 3 season suit and summer is apparently the season it is not made for. There is no way I could wear my Firstgear suit in the summer. Around April I’ll have to start wearing my mesh suit with liner.
I feel that any suit that can keep you warm at 16F is going to have a tough time keeping you relatively cool at 100F unless it is mesh. That is just my opinion and others may not agree. I’m sure there is something out that that has three different liners you can keep zipping in and taking out but I prefer to wear mesh in the summer and my heavier suit in the winter.

With the liner out I am comfortable in my Katmandu up to the low 80s. Beyond that I want mesh. Traveling with swings in temperature I have had it on up to 90F, but definitely would have preferred mesh at that point.

I have worn it below freezing (high 20s) so far with a Gerbing heated liner and been very comfortable without the Gerbing on full. I am not personally very tolerant of cold and without the heated liner I am not comfortable at those temps. I live in central Georgia so not many days with temps colder than this.

after it get to a certain hi temp you don't want mesh. but that is really hot. buy the best you can afford.there is no one piece of gear for everything. id stay away from bilt.

Back