• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Theoretical question on the DCT.

Jelly

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking today what the DCT would do given the following circumstances,

Let's say that the engine is running and you are in neutral freewheeling down a hill at, let's say 30mph.

What would happen do you think if D was then selected?

Would it go into 1st and lock up or would the front wheel speed sensor allow for the speed and go straight into the appropriate gear?

Obviously only a theoretical question, I'd never do it.

What do you think?

See my answers below...

I was thinking today what the DCT would do given the following circumstances,

Let's say that the engine is running and you are in neutral freewheeling down a hill at, let's say 30mph.

What would happen do you think if D was then selected? - If the system would allow it, my best bet would be in 2nd gear. As the PCM monitors all the parameters regarding the engine. This would be a logical assumption.

Would it go into 1st and lock up or would the front wheel speed sensor allow for the speed and go straight into the appropriate gear? - The speed sensor is in the transmission, not directly on either wheel. Please see my previous statement.

Obviously only a theoretical question, I'd never do it.

What do you think?

I thought the bike would ignore your request to put it in gear. I believe the bike must be at 0 mph and 0 throttle postition to engage D.

Another problem to theoretical question is the DCT only goes through gears in sequence, from neutral to first to second and on to sixth. If rolling in neutral it will go to first gear if it engages at all.

Got mine stuck in sixth by accidentally hitting kill switch on highway. Didn't realize until I came to stop and "6" showing on dash. Had to rock bike and turn key on and off to cycle it through six gears one at a time before it found neutral so I could start engine.

Obviously only a theoretical question.

Well Jelly, some people missed the point entirely of your question. Perhaps most of us "Yankees" would have responded in your desired manor if you used this phrase instead "Hypothetically Speaking"...

The Queen's English and American English are quite differently at times, while similar at other times. Like your mention of a "fag break" (aka: smoke break) earlier today. Go figure... :confused:

Turns out something similar happened to me today. Was going downhill in fifth when I fiddled with my gps and accidentally hit the engine shutoff switch . didn't realize it until I throttle and got nothing. The bike was still rolling forward without noticeable resistance. Turned off the engine shutoff switch, throttle and the engine came back on and was still on fifth.

Turns out something similar happened to me today. Was going downhill in fifth when I fiddled with my gps and accidentally hit the engine shutoff switch . didn't realize it until I throttle and got nothing. The bike was still rolling forward without noticeable resistance. Turned off the engine shutoff switch, throttle and the engine came back on and was still on fifth.

Same thing happened to me. I'm guessing because it's not until powered on again that it would shift to neutral and the sensors picked up that it was already moving

Well Jelly, some people missed the point entirely of your question. Perhaps most of us "Yankees" would have responded in your desired manor if you used this phrase instead "Hypothetically Speaking"...

The Queen's English and American English are quite differently at times, while similar at other times. Like your mention of a "fag break" (aka: smoke break) earlier today. Go figure... :confused:

Why would you go to the house he wants to live in to answer him when you can do it right here on the internet?

(Manner / manor)

Back