• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thoughts after the first few weeks

Welsh Nomad

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I have had my bike for about 3 weeks now and it has just had it's first service. I must say up front that I like the bike a lot. Until my previous bike I have always had trail style bikes so this is like coming home. OK the front wheel could be bigger but I still have that great riding position, you know high seat, wide bars.
The first tank full gave me 81mpg (that is UK mpg). This included a ride to the Wall on a very wet Saturday so the speeds were low and included a lot of motorway (freeway). The second tank gave me 75.7mpg but this was my normal commute and this is a good saving over the previous bike.
The bigger screen that was part of the deal still hasn't been fitted as it hasn't arrived yet. The dealer keeps telling me it will be next Monday or Tuesday.
The heated grips are good and remember the previous setting so less fumbling about looking for the switch.
The horn is in a different position to the previous bike and so when I needed it this morning I missed it. I am not impressed with the volume in any case so may try and fit a set of air horns somewhere when I fit the fairing protection bars http://www.hepco-and-becker-luggage.co.uk/library/pdfs/5019730001.pdf.The next thing I will be fitting will be an automatic chain oiler Automatic Motorcycle Oilers
I have not ridden with the panniers attached yet but some time next month I will be off to Ireland when they will be fitted. This will be at least a 600 mile trip.
The low centre of gravity make for a bike that handles well and I am gaining confidence but as it has been seriously wet on time over the last few weeks I am still not sure about the level of grip afforded by the tyres.
I didn't think the brakes would be great, having only one disk up front and only 2 pots in the calliper but it works OK. The back brake doesn't appear to be great but then I haven't stepped on it in anger yet. At least it is not a combined system. These are OK in the wet and dry but in snow I was terrified.
I have to give the bike a good clean and spray on some winter protection before too long as we will soon have salt poured onto the roads.

Keep safe
Mike

The NC750 doesn't come with them as standard, I had them fitted as part of the purchase deal. I had a set of genuine Honda ones on the last bike but the the ones on the NC are by Oxford. The bigger screen will be a Givi screen apparently, if I ever see it.
Once I have fitted the chain oiler I'll report back.

Good news the new screen arrived this week and has been fitted. What a difference. I have kept the old one as it could come in handy for the summer.
I have now fitted the chain oiler. Finding somewhere to hang the reservoir was a bit of a problem as there was a plate bracket just where I wanted to put it and I couldn't get the cable ties around the tube. Clamped it to the pannier frame in the end. The frame tube is a little on the narrow side so the reservoir can tilt when on the move so I will have to think of a way of stopping this. Apart from that it appears to be working well.

You are not wrong. Next up are a set of tank protector bars. They are on order. A centre stand will be fitted at some stage.
When the bars are on I am going to see if I can fit a small air horn set I have had knocking around for ages. If I can tuck the compressor up under the headlight I can tie the horns to the tank bars and pick up a feed from the existing horn (via a relay of course, the horn feed to trip the relay)

The heated grips are good and remember the previous setting so less fumbling about looking for the switch.

! Well hell! I wonder if this is a new thing for the latest edition of OEM grips, or have I bodged mine up somehow...

That is one thing that bugs me a wee bit about mine, when turned off, they default to the third, hottest setting, at first button push. I dislike having to always cycle through the settings down to warm, from "nuclear" and "deep fat fry".

I seldom use them on hottest, so I wish the first push would be the lowest setting, instead of the highest.

My grips are not OEM. I think they are Oxford. Mine are set to 2 lights and are plenty warm enough so far but then in the UK we have not had a frost yet as it is very mild for this time of year.

I have a pair of handlebar muffs that I had on the Deauville and must set about getting them on the NC. The trouble is the mirrors are mounted on the controls. On the NTV they were on the fairing. I think that if I take the mirrors off and position the muffs I can then melt the material where the mirrors fit and screw the mirrors back on through the holes. Saves a whole lot of bunching of material and makes them more secure.

My grips are not OEM. I think they are Oxford. Mine are set to 2 lights and are plenty warm enough so far but then in the UK we have not had a frost yet as it is very mild for this time of year.

I have a pair of handlebar muffs that I had on the Deauville and must set about getting them on the NC. The trouble is the mirrors are mounted on the controls. On the NTV they were on the fairing. I think that if I take the mirrors off and position the muffs I can then melt the material where the mirrors fit and screw the mirrors back on through the holes. Saves a whole lot of bunching of material and makes them more secure.

Ah! Thanks, I missed that in the second post, sorry :D

I have the Oxford Muffs and just poked a hole in the top and put a rubber washer under the mirror stem on reinstall. Of course, it doesn't rain much here. 8" in a good year. They work great most of the year, in the high desert.

The NC750 I took for a test drive has OEM heated grips and to be honest I didn't like them, I didn't have them fitted to the unit I ordered.

I had Oxford Hot Grips on my Transalp and I'll be ordering a set to fit to the NC, the control switch seems more user friendly, and I can mount it where I want it.

Back